Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Oh dear. Another day of grey nothingness! No sun, wind, rain or snow...... nothing but depressing grey. :(

But in ten days time I'm off to the Yukon in Northern Canada for two weeks to visit my daughter and grandson. The prospect of seeing them, the weather over there, and the prospect of skiing their local mountain is making me REALLY excited. How's about this week's forecast for where they live. I'll be wearing two woolly hats at the same time and I won't care what colour!! :cold::D

5a0bf278f3b08_WhitehorseforecastTues14Nov.thumb.jpg.2b8986b71dc242e0c1ebf023de52c7b7.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
22 hours ago, Sparky68 said:

If you go with some of the predictions on here you might need a tin foil hat :D

I need one just to post in this thread.

Posted
4 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Oh dear. Another day of grey nothingness! No sun, wind, rain or snow...... nothing but depressing grey. :(

Yea the weather is not particularly exciting, having to put the heating on not because I am cold but because it is so damp outside that the washing will not dry and having to use radiators.  Looks like could see some mist and fog overnight which will not help things....

17111600_1506.thumb.gif.f1e37b8a0df36aa78f76bf116fb5df23.gif17111603_1506.thumb.gif.5a0d1f75d6499c7a9b8bea7ec39f4e52.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yucky old day here, featureless grey gloom, but it is dry so far and not cold with just a light breeze from the WNW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I have saved about 50% so far this autumn on heating compared to last year, I had fully expected to have put the heating full on by next week but its a topsy turvy time for the models, no surprises there, the -5/6/7/8 uppers  that were showing up a few days ago are being replaced with +4/5/6/7/8c so it looks like I can keep the heating on the minimum setting until early December at least and save even more money.

I really must get myself a new hobby, for the winter months at least, its all becoming so predictable these days as far as the models are concerned and the inevitable downgrades, not saying it wont snow this winter, its just the rollercoaster ride that has already started and will continue for another five months or so, well its just that I'm not sure if if I can take all that drama any more, it all usually ends up in disappointment anyway.

Very soon we will be looking for a white Christmas, then in January after a month of zonal nothingness and more near misses and downgrades we will get the usual garb about February historically being the month that produces the goods. Then in late Feb we have snow showers clipping the North Sea coasts for a day or two after more drama in the models, short month though February of course, the Sun is getting noticeably stronger too by mid month and the arguments concerning the effect this might have on laying snow will have started by mid month. Oh yes, I almost forgot, about now we usually get the regular postings about how it can snow in March and April, about some event or other that produced 10 inch snow drifts in mid April, blah, blah...By early May it turns colder with heavy snow in the highlands, bit late for the Scottish ski slopes though.:D

It's not that I want three moths of blizzards like some on here, there would likely be power cuts, food shortages, frozen pipes, no trains, no thanks. But a few blizzards this winter would be way, way overdue, how about for the period 23rd-26th Dec, 1st-6th Jan and a Beasterly in early Feb? Then an early Spring and mild temps by mid March?:cold-emoji::good:

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Btw I have some of the best roses in the garden right now and figs on my fig tree that I was picking and eating just yesterday are lovely, first time I have eaten figs in mid Nov from the garden. The flower beds are still looking nice enough and the geraniums are still flowering. Should my rhubarb be sprouting and growing again at this time of the year, anyone know about this?:cc_confused:

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Well as Autumn slowly drifts towards Winter I have no complaints about the weather here so far.

Nothing of note to report in the way of interesting weather at all but I'm okay with that. I can still get out and about, tidy up my small garden and sit outside in the evening. Not much at all in the way of rain, and I have yet to record an air frost.

Winter can wait as far as I'm concerned. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, snowray said:

I have saved about 50% so far this autumn on heating compared to last year, I had fully expected to have put the heating full on by next week but its a topsy turvy time for the models, no surprises there, the -5/6/7/8 uppers  that were showing up a few days ago are being replaced with +4/5/6/7/8c so it looks like I can keep the heating on the minimum setting until early December at least and save even more money.

I really must get myself a new hobby, for the winter months at least, its all becoming so predictable these days as far as the models are concerned and the inevitable downgrades, not saying it wont snow this winter, its just the rollercoaster ride that has already started and will continue for another five months or so, well its just that I'm not sure if if I can take all that drama any more, it all usually ends up in disappointment anyway.

Very soon we will be looking for a white Christmas, then in January after a month of zonal nothingness and more near misses and downgrades we will get the usual garb about February historically being the month that produces the goods. Then in late Feb we have snow showers clipping the North Sea coasts for a day or two after more drama in the models, short month though February of course, the Sun is getting noticeably stronger too by mid month and the arguments concerning the effect this might have on laying snow will have started by mid month. Oh yes, I almost forgot, about now we usually get the regular postings about how it can snow in March and April, about some event or other that produced 10 inch snow drifts in mid April, blah, blah...By early May it turns colder with heavy snow in the highlands, bit late for the Scottish ski slopes though.:D

It's not that I want three moths of blizzards like some on here, there would likely be power cuts, food shortages, frozen pipes, no trains, no thanks. But a few blizzards this winter would be way, way overdue, how about for the period 23rd-26th Dec, 1st-6th Jan and a Beasterly in early Feb? Then an early Spring and mild temps by mid March?:cold-emoji::good:

The mod thread is full of 'experts' and melodrama at this time of year, it helps not to read too much into things and try not to give more than cursory notice to charts outside 5 days or so. If you are constantly looking for cold/snow in SE England, you'll be disappointed 95% of the time.

A blizzard would be fun though! Haven't seen one here for a number of years, it's such an exciting and amazing thing to witness. I reckon we might get lucky this winter :) Going by some signs in nature I've noticed, anyway. As long as it doesn't last for weeks and weeks on end and occurs after Crimbo, happy days. January would be ideal! Early Spring always a bonus too.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The mod thread is full of 'experts' and melodrama at this time of year, it helps not to read too much into things and try not to give more than cursory notice to charts outside 5 days or so. If you are constantly looking for cold/snow in SE England, you'll be disappointed 95% of the time.

A blizzard would be fun though! Haven't seen one here for a number of years, it's such an exciting and amazing thing to witness. I reckon we might get lucky this winter :) Going by some signs in nature I've noticed, anyway. As long as it doesn't last for weeks and weeks on end and occurs after Crimbo, happy days. January would be ideal! Early Spring always a bonus too.

In fact I look forward to an early spring, worst thing is when it turns cold into March and April. Last blizzards around here that I can remember were in 1987 and 1991, yes there has been snow since then but those years were memorable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
12 minutes ago, shotski said:

Welcome to the model output discussion, Enjoy !!!!

B303274C-EA9F-4E75-A2A5-D575FCADCE3D.png

One minutes it s slit your wrists in there. Next look at this chart end of November the charts are messed up and change every day,how anybody can look at charts for 29th November is beyond me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A really gloomy day today, it was pretty much twilight from early afternoon with lots of mist and low cloud.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
51 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

A really gloomy day today, it was pretty much twilight from early afternoon with lots of mist and low cloud.

I didn't  think twilight went at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

18z GFS would bring a major blast of " will it snow in my garden " posts to the site :D

• Like 2

Posted

Stop what you're doing! The irony considering most of you are fast asleep :D whatever you do, don't tell the wife and kids! Stock up on the essentials ASAP, and rush preparations to completion upon an impending snow burial. Do not forget the wooly hats - in an assortment of colours, Dami will attest.. Thunder snow, and crippling cold by next week, make it snow. :yahoo::snowman-emoji::crazy:

image.thumb.png.edb70b5818dfdbed68a43a38284c09c5.png

Metamorphosing into a winter wacko inspired by... :clap: 

Back to reality it would be nice wouldn't it? I hold my breath. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

oh stop going on about my bloody hats. They keep my ears warm. End of. 

Quite a pleasant day, quite mild, no breeze.

I can wear one of one new coats tomorrow. I'll change it up.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good morning everyone.

After a rather dismal start it is starting to brighten up and it feels rather pleasant outside. As Dami says above there is not even the hint of a breeze.

Some drizzly rain is forecast for later today, followed by clear spells and a touch of frost. I am going out fir a meal this evening with ex work colleagues and guess i will be wearing my overcoat as it will be chilly later on once the clearance arrives. I will also be wearing my hat.:oops:

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted

A mainly nice day here, some decent sunny spells when it felt positively warm. Bit more cloud in the afternoon but still pleasant enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Hard frost this morning, the first one of the season here, too. Got down to almost -2 last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Great to pull back the curtains and everything white with frost. Got down to -2.4C in IMBY. Here's the EA leader board this morning:

• Like 4

Posted

Brrr, frosty start to the day here but also a beautiful clear sky. Currently 0C.

IMG_4887.JPG

• Like 1