Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

vantage vue battery cover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

Hi all, quick question, should the vantage vue iss have a seal around the battery cover?

Mine hasn't and looks like it should have, but I can't remember if it ever did. I changed the battery and found water was getting in and corroding the contacts.

Is this a known thing and has anybody got any good ideas how to stop it or where to get a seal if it should have one?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Hmm, good question. I have a few Vantage Vue's and I cant recall seeing a seal for the battery cover on any of them. I had one recently which didnt have the screw for the cover so I just covered it in waterproof tape to try and keep out the water. Always worth contacting Davis if you want to be sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

I also have a Vantage Vue and the battery has never been replaced, it's boxed up right now ready for a move so I will check mine and get back to you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 hours ago, trebor said:

Hi all, quick question, should the vantage vue iss have a seal around the battery cover?

Mine hasn't and looks like it should have, but I can't remember if it ever did. I changed the battery and found water was getting in and corroding the contacts.

Is this a known thing and has anybody got any good ideas how to stop it or where to get a seal if it should have one?

Thanks

I don't think the Vue has a seal around the battery cover.
if you take a look at this un-boxing: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=9146.0 you'll see that the owner put some duct tape over it.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Sorry for the late reply, I've just checked my stock battery cover and there is no seal on it. so it doesn't come sealed from the factory! 

Posted

There may be some reason why it's better to have slight ventilation.
I wouldn't tape over it.
Possibly battery getting slightly warmer/colder can lead to condensation which needs air exchange to dry out again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

Thanks everybody, at least I have not lost a part of my iss :D. I will try some tape over the battery cover and see if that stops the water getting in.

condensation draining / drying is a thought, but as it is already wet and corroded in the battery compartment it isn't working, even if that's how it was intended to.