Jump to content

The Winter 2017/18 snow ramping thread


Recommended Posts

Been keeping a close eye on trends. I find meteociel a brilliant site to use - because it plots all 4 GEFS runs on the same graph, making it easy to spot trends. Most people probably don't realise you can place your own lat and lon into the request URL.

Example:

Stick your own lat and lon in here: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&run=100&lat=55.70622&lon=-2.46373&runpara=0&type=0&ext=1

20171023.png

20171024.png

20171025.png

20171026.png

20171027.png

20171029.png

20171030.png

20171031.png

20171101.png

20171102.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, asjmcguire said:

Been keeping a close eye on trends. I find meteociel a brilliant site to use - because it plots all 4 GEFS runs on the same graph, making it easy to spot trends. Most people probably don't realise you can place your own lat and lon into the request URL.

Example:

Stick your own lat and lon in here: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&run=100&lat=55.70622&lon=-2.46373&runpara=0&type=0&ext=1

(snipped)

A great feature! You can also just click on the map and get the graphs for that location (which shows up as a blue dot on the map). I can't wait to see the 850hPa graph line for my location drop to -6C (or lower) coupled with a nice spike in precipitation........ snow!!!!! :yahoo:

P.S. Not sure about link above - maybe this one intended? http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs.php

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

A great feature! You can also just click on the map and get the graphs for that location (which shows up as a blue dot on the map). I can't wait to see the 850hPa graph line for my location drop to -6C (or lower) coupled with a nice spike in precipitation........ snow!!!!! :yahoo:

P.S. Not sure about link above - maybe this one intended? http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs.php

I'd never have found that link again - the one I posted is the one I use from my bookmarks. Don't forget to click on the "4 last" link on the bottom left of the chart window - to see all 4 runs combined on the one chart. (This comment aimed at people who have never used the site before)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it will change, it always does - it's too far away to be excited yet - but even so......... this is the ramping thread so........

Weather Timeline on my phone - which is using the Dark Sky API for it's weather data - is tonight forecasting 3-5cm of snow for my location on the 27th! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :yahoo:

.....let the ramping begin!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

so so so excited about this thread - thank you for the invite. I am going to be watching and reviewing and ramping with much enthusiasm... Now if there is w whiff of snow up in the West of Scotland over New Year - whooooosssh I'll be there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also been watching YouTube videos of snow, especially videos of winters of 2009-2012 in Scotland and Scandinavia.  I have even saved them on my watch later list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on what you are after - this one is a YouTube video that features 3 hours of a crackling log fire while the wind howls and thunder booms - very satisfying - reinforces the toasty inside while it's dreich outside.... 

 Then you have 10 hours of a train journey in the Arctic circle which can also be quite exciting or relaxing - depending on your mood - 

and finally - if you just want falling snow -

 

These 3 should whet most appetites...... :cold:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Midlands are currently forecast on XC to have a foot of snow at nearly 80mph... oh, and "MIST" at 59mph, too...! :D

(For some reason it insists on displaying it twice, sorry... hope that means we get twice the amount of snow! :) )

image.thumb.png.1edadb99ffdfbe9d7f2cb8b03ae02e90.png24176880_10156889763229606_1286773568760

Edited by BleakMidwinter
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleakMidwinter said:

The Midlands are currently forecast on XC to have a foot of snow at nearly 80mph... oh, and "MIST" at 59mph, too...! :D

(For some reason it insists on displaying it twice, sorry... hope that means we get twice the amount of snow! :) )

image.thumb.png.1edadb99ffdfbe9d7f2cb8b03ae02e90.png24176880_10156889763229606_1286773568760

The 'mist' will be the drifting snow, or more likely that your windows will be blocked up by the drifts:D..

However, at 1-2C, if we get this 'wet' snow it will cause absolute chaos with power lines and trees brought down.

Its much better to have it at -1C, in that way it will be lighter, and will drift more. But not as damaging.

In my experience from the past the temperature will fall below freezing as we draw in air from further north. 

Interesting if it does happen though:cold::cold::bomb:?

 MIA

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am beginning to get very very very excited, here in Telford... ginfers are so frimly scorsed I can hardly type! :D
A whole load of snow, NWerly, and then this walloping in on Sunday...

It's all literally still *up in the air* of course, but I'm having a luvverly time following the charts! 

image.thumb.png.2a0ccd1a7d1d8553cd71652e3d2e6036.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...... the 18z GFS is either hilariously wrong - or a harbinger of day-after-tomorrow conditions. According to the 18z GFS once Caroline has passed, I'm unlikely to see any days with a max temperature over 1C and there are more days where the temperature doesn't make it above freezing than there are days when it does. While there is no snow - having a max temperature of -3.6 at midday, does seem either insane or time to stock up on soup!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...