Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mountain Rescue pleas before Winter season takes hold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Bright coloured clothing or an orange survival bag can be key. Do you know how to contact Mountain Rescue? Phone 999, ask for the POLICE and then Mountain Rescue.
nw image

Read more here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Good article Jo, and as a Deputy Leader in a Mountain Rescue Team in the Lake District I would endorse everything you said.

As far as I know the only Mountain Rescue personnel in the UK are those in the RAF teams, or in the Police Teams in Scotland, although I suspect they don't get paid for call outs unless they're already on duty. I could be wrong though.

a few other points:

Ideally take a head torch as that leaves you both hands free for holding maps, compass etc and negotiating dodgy terrain that you're probably not too familiar with. 

Secondly register your phone with the emergency services - instructions here http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/ originally set up for deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people, you can register your phone and then if you need help, and you have a very poor signal there's a better chance that a text will get through via the sms system than relying on a good enough signal for a phone conversation.

Thirdly - ideally leave a route with someone with possible alternatives so if you don't come back at least the MRT's have a clue where to start to look! If you are lost (or have a member of your party who is injured and you're not 100% sure where you are) and have a smartphone with a good enough the teams can use some technical wizardry (with your permission of course!) to pinpoint you within a few metres. Then they can either help you work your way out of trouble or send the cavalry.

Cheers

JeffC

• Like 3

Posted

Reminds me a bit of a trip walking up Vesuvius. We were appropriately dressed with good shoes etc.  Almost pushed out of our way by a crowd of slightly drunk fat old biddies from U.K. wearing flip flops. They went up quicker than they came down. Some in an ambulance. Difficult to not be amused.