Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2017/18

J10
Message added by Paul

Latest snow reports and mountain forecasts
Check out the Netweather ski and snowboard pages for the latest weather forecasts and snow reports virtually every ski resort in the world.

Julian's (J10) Alps Blog
Follow Julian's blogs through the season for his weekly update on the conditions and upcoming forecast for the Alps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Amazing photos from all the resorts I follow on Facebook etc ... I wonder how the rest of the season will pan out.  We’ve just booked to go to La Plagne 3rd March, 4th time I’ve been to that resort but first time with our two boys. I wonder if the epic snowfalls will continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:44, carinthian said:

Onwards, ski touring the nearby Katschberg back runs. Crazy walk up but the view and descent well worth the effort.

C

27072717_1795543750458224_8097592892029718224_n.jpg

Morning all from a sunny and fairly warm Austria. The picture above taken the other day is in a range of mountains not far to the southeast of here called the Nockberge. Its a region that offers high ski touring with its main resort Turracher based at 1800m absl, mainly a selection of hotels located on the high pass up from BKK.

Below a shot this morning at the start of the highest run in Katschberg the A1 which happens to be one of the longest in Austria with a wonderful long, mostly easy gliding 7km descent into St Margaretten village. Snow depth 180cm at 2200m, 120cm in village and 100 cm in St Margaretten.

27368376_1799802190032380_2154448340002970112_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

This time next week I will be in Filzmoos, Austria with husband and son, getting very excited now. No snow fall since the 22nd, but good snow depths remain - 180cm in the mountains, 120cm in the valley. Looking at all the excitement in the MDT, it looks as if we may be leaving some very cold temperatures and possible snow here to arrive in similarly cold temperatures across the Alps, although with altitude this will presumably be much colder. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

This time next week I will be in Filzmoos, Austria with husband and son, getting very excited now. No snow fall since the 22nd, but good snow depths remain - 180cm in the mountains, 120cm in the valley. Looking at all the excitement in the MDT, it looks as if we may be leaving some very cold temperatures and possible snow here to arrive in similarly cold temperatures across the Alps, although with altitude this will presumably be much colder. 

It's looking very promising for you Reefseeker! Me thinks you're going to have a cold and snowy holiday so get the thick fleeces ready to pack!!

And good to see colder temps and snow arriving in Filzmoos tomorrow. Snow-forecast.com (who use GFS data) is forecasting 50cms + at village level  and 65cms + at mid-mountain over the next 5 days, so the village should look very pretty when you arrive on the 7th Feb.

5 day forecast for village at 1,057m 5a722ad13e864_FilzmoosForecast31Jan.thumb.jpg.9a222ef40dea9b515a74e47d5333d67b.jpg

Obviously subject to change at this range, but here's the current Netweather Alps forecast temps for your arrival on Wed 7th. I've shown approx where Filzmoos is on the first chart. Lovely and cold!

12.00 5a722b3773b46_alptempWed07Feb12_00.thumb.png.8500546095643ee5c982a4b623ce703b.png 21.00 5a722b3b37411_alptempWed07Feb21_00.thumb.png.6d0bbcaa1f529709d453b02247ad68d2.png

snow-forecast.com link: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Filzmoos/6day/bot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Thank you so much @Blessed Weather for your Filzmoos forecast:) It does indeed look as if it will be cold and snowy; right on cue it looks a bit grey and drizzly on the webcams this morning, but as soon as I can see a snowy view, I'll post it. Funnily enough on Carol Kirkwood's charts this morning, it was just possible to see snow showing over the Alps in the forecast. Off to Mountain Warehouse to find a 'proper' ski coat tomorrow, and judging by the forecast we need to pack plenty of warm layers; don't think we'll manage hand luggage only on this one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

A quick hello from Champoluc! Wonderful conditions here, well mannered pistes and good weather on the whole. The forecast when we left on Wed morning at stupid o clock suggested we may have a lot of cloud and wind, but apart from yesterday morning when we had some low visibility and gentle snow, we have had a lot of sun, perfect for enjoying those amazing mountain views. Champoluc has made a proper skier of me (about time!)

@reefseeker, like you, I obsess over the forecasts thinking the snow might melt away as it does in the UK, but no need to worry, plenty of snow so enjoy your week!

• Like 2

Posted
On 2/2/2018 at 18:44, dubmuffin said:

@reefseeker, like you, I obsess over the forecasts thinking the snow might melt away as it does in the UK, but no need to worry, plenty of snow so enjoy your week!

Thank you @dubmuffin for your update and your reassurance; it sounds lovely there, hope it has gone fantastically. Checked next week's weather for Filzmoos after @Blessed Weather's excellent forecast, and as he said, snow is expected the day we arrive, then on and off throughout, with 1 degree as the top temperature:) I must admit I am in packing panic, what with usually being hand luggage only travellers as mentioned previously, but it does look as if preparing for cold snowy weather will require bulky clothes and a change of walking boots (they are all new, so blisters seem rather likely), so it seems inevitable we will be checking a bag in, or am I overdoing it, gah! :fool:

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted

Well, we are sitting in Salzburg airport with light snow falling outside having come through quite a snow storm to get here for our flight back to the UK. Filzmoos in Austria has been quite the loveliest snowiest place for a walking holiday, with a bit of skiing thrown in. One of the locals on a horse-drawn sleigh ride with us said it is the snowiest winter for around 20 years in the region, and certainly we had a very snowy arrival with intermittent snowfall throughout the five days. Temperatures ranged from -8 to around +3. Some pictures will follow once we are home, but it has been lovely to get a snow fix 'proper' rather than while hours away looking at snowy webcams.

• Like 3

Posted
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:47, Reefseeker said:

Well, we are sitting in Salzburg airport with light snow falling outside having come through quite a snow storm to get here for our flight back to the UK. Filzmoos in Austria has been quite the loveliest snowiest place for a walking holiday, with a bit of skiing thrown in. One of the locals on a horse-drawn sleigh ride with us said it is the snowiest winter for around 20 years in the region, and certainly we had a very snowy arrival with intermittent snowfall throughout the five days. Temperatures ranged from -8 to around +3. Some pictures will follow once we are home, but it has been lovely to get a snow fix 'proper' rather than while hours away looking at snowy webcams.

Very pleased you got your fix. Will interesting to hear your views on the area and the hotel. Pictures hopefully ! It was cold last week.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Just back from a very nice stay in Corvara, part of the Stella Ronda Ski circuit in the Dolomites. First time to Italy, so a great surprise to have wonderful ski-ing , sunny weather but cold. First picture is the top station in Corvara looking towards Marmolada Glacier in the background and the second is on the back runs between Corvara and Passo Compolonga. The Stella Ronda links many high runs above 1500m, Cortina,Arabba,Val Gardena,Alta Badia to just name just a few . Well worth a visit with wonderful mountains ( almost like the Canadian Rockies) with its red and white colouring. Back in Katschberg for a couple of weeks then off to one of my favourite ski resorts of Rauris. Best snow and ski-ing conditions I can remember presently. Get yourself over here !

28161421_2085439048139938_2909933679317772986_o.jpg

27788733_10213845392143447_4110817156443346093_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Just back from a very nice stay in Corvara, part of the Stella Ronda Ski circuit in the Dolomites. First time to Italy, so a great surprise to have wonderful ski-ing , sunny weather but cold. First picture is the top station in Corvara looking towards Marmolada Glacier in the background and the second is on the back runs between Corvara and Passo Compolonga. The Stella Ronda links many high runs above 1500m, Cortina,Arabba,Val Gardena,Alta Badia to just name just a few . Well worth a visit with wonderful mountains ( almost like the Canadian Rockies) with its red and white colouring. Back in Katschberg for a couple of weeks then off to one of my favourite ski resorts of Rauris. Best snow and ski-ing conditions I can remember presently. Get yourself over here !

28161421_2085439048139938_2909933679317772986_o.jpg

27788733_10213845392143447_4110817156443346093_o.jpg

More pictures from Corvara. The beautiful ski run , Narnia, a 8km glide into San Cassiano.

27867455_10213867040524643_1902685884666772020_n.jpg

27972948_10213867047924828_832998237171561708_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Some photos from Filzmoos last week. In answer to your question @carinthian it is a very good resort for families and skiers at the more blue-red run level. We had a one-hour lesson to brush up on our snow ploughs then used the drag lift to do the small slope in the village. The chair lifts take many skiers up to what appear to be blue or red slopes; I think for more advanced skiers it would be rather limited. The resort itself is, as you say, very attractive, and no more than a 20-minute walk end-to-end, with one supermarket and petrol station, a plethora of small hotels/aparthotels, plenty of ski hire places and shops selling outdoor clothing, and restaurants mostly attached to hotels. It has a very rustic quaint feel; the Hotel Unterhof is right at one end of the village, very cosy and serving quite Austrian fare for food, and very popular free tea and cakes at 4pm. For us it was a beautiful, snowy location with easy access to lot of walking using the gondolas/lifts or just hiking around the village. 

February 2018 856.jpg

February 2018 873.jpg

February 2018 891.jpg

February 2018 1006.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Some photos from Filzmoos last week. In answer to your question @carinthian it is a very good resort for families and skiers at the more blue-red run level. We had a one-hour lesson to brush up on our snow ploughs then used the drag lift to do the small slope in the village. The chair lifts take many skiers up to what appear to be blue or red slopes; I think for more advanced skiers it would be rather limited. The resort itself is, as you say, very attractive, and no more than a 20-minute walk end-to-end, with one supermarket and petrol station, a plethora of small hotels/aparthotels, plenty of ski hire places and shops selling outdoor clothing, and restaurants mostly attached to hotels. It has a very rustic quaint feel; the Hotel Unterhof is right at one end of the village, very cosy and serving quite Austrian fare for food, and very popular free tea and cakes at 4pm. For us it was a beautiful, snowy location with easy access to lot of walking using the gondolas/lifts or just hiking around the village. 

February 2018 856.jpg

February 2018 873.jpg

February 2018 891.jpg

February 2018 1006.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Plenty of snow for your fix ! Glad you like Austria. Maybe another visit with your family beckons. Look at Katschberg with Neilsons. Hotel Cristallo has a lot to offer with door step ski-ing and lovely walks in the Gontal Valley to a very nice mountain hut. Can get a good price there if you book early and especially for the first two weeks of January. Also the resort is high at 1650m asl and usually has plenty of snow.

C

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Thanks for the picture. Plenty of snow for your fix ! Glad you like Austria. Maybe another visit with your family beckons. Look at Katschberg with Neilsons. Hotel Cristallo has a lot to offer with door step ski-ing and lovely walks in the Gontal Valley to a very nice mountain hut. Can get a good price there if you book early and especially for the first two weeks of January. Also the resort is high at 1650m asl and usually has plenty of snow.

C

I would go back any time, absolutely loved Austria:) The Cristallo is a beautiful looking hotel (just checked!). 

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

Some photos from Filzmoos last week.

(SNIPPED)

Lovely photos Angela, thanks for posting them. I'm really pleased that you had such a lovely holiday. Me thinks you'll be back in beautiful Austria sooner rather than later

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, J10 said:

Some GFS Synoptic Charts

It will be very interesting to see if this pattern particularly towards next weekend, is still the case on Sunday.

GFS_GIF_160218_TempAnom.gifGFS_GIF_160218_Pressure.thumb.gif.620526139fc191206100ea1602d649db.gif

I will let you know J10. We have just been issued with extreme cold warning towards the end of next week. A bit early for snow predictions. 

C

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, J10 said:

Some GFS Synoptic Charts

It will be very interesting to see if this pattern particularly towards next weekend, is still the case on Sunday.

GFS_GIF_160218_TempAnom.gifGFS_GIF_160218_Pressure.thumb.gif.620526139fc191206100ea1602d649db.gif

It's starting to shape up as an excellent season for the Alps Julian. And I believe the Sudden Stratospheric Warming event currently taking place will likely result in ongoing cold for Europe, so maintaining the generally excellent conditions right to the end of the season. Looking like a good year to book a late trip!

A few charts. Here's the GFS 'Feb-up-to-17th + next 7 days' 2m temperature forecast for Europe. And alongside is the 7 day temp trend.

5a87e43bcba9b_GFS2mTempAnom17FebFebMean7Day.thumb.png.aaed0e5ca31e98e942703ed75c492ef8.png5a87e44d122f2_GFS2mTemp17Feb7DayTrend.thumb.png.bc7575f9b7100c65270c1ba2b6fdb84a.png

And this morning's (17th Feb) GFS and ECM Northern Hemisphere charts for around 26th/27th Feb showing the potential synoptic pattern with cold air flooding into Europe:

5a87e5a798234_GFS0zNH50017Febfor27Feb.thumb.png.90dd4a0348ab4c0da6fd37e8a6ad0f31.png5a87e5b940dcb_ECM0zNH50017Febfor26Feb.thumb.png.18520fd419f36b4196b0dafa6ea154e2.png

Edit: Just seen the new post from @carinthian about the "extreme cold" warning. Any views on the outlook to the end of the season Paul?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

It's starting to shape up as an excellent season for the Alps Julian. And I believe the Sudden Stratospheric Warming event currently taking place will likely result in ongoing cold for Europe, so maintaining the generally excellent conditions right to the end of the season. Looking like a good year to book a late trip!

A few charts. Here's the GFS 'Feb-up-to-17th + next 7 days' 2m temperature forecast for Europe. And alongside is the 7 day temp trend.

5a87e43bcba9b_GFS2mTempAnom17FebFebMean7Day.thumb.png.aaed0e5ca31e98e942703ed75c492ef8.png5a87e44d122f2_GFS2mTemp17Feb7DayTrend.thumb.png.bc7575f9b7100c65270c1ba2b6fdb84a.png

And this morning's (17th Feb) GFS and ECM Northern Hemisphere charts for around 26th/27th Feb showing the potential synoptic pattern with cold air flooding into Europe:

5a87e5a798234_GFS0zNH50017Febfor27Feb.thumb.png.90dd4a0348ab4c0da6fd37e8a6ad0f31.png5a87e5b940dcb_ECM0zNH50017Febfor26Feb.thumb.png.18520fd419f36b4196b0dafa6ea154e2.png

Edit: Just seen the new post from @carinthian about the "extreme cold" warning. Any views on the outlook to the end of the season Paul?

Morning Malcolm, not the best of days today, a lot of low cloud and light snowfall.  Just plenty of snow for new arrivals today, one of the busiest of the season. Temps OF -20C on the mountain next weekend. That's dangerous. Obviously as we go into March the sunshine makes for great ski-ing, so a good prospect for the rest of the season more than likely. Just back from Dolomites and they are having one the best snow season for quite a long time with low temps keeping the wonderful snow conditions down there. Meeting up with some old ski pal next weekend in Rauris, think I will have to bring my thermals, hip flask and hot water bottle. At least the runs there are soon back in the village and cosy mountain huts to keep warm with a beverage or two !  You off back to the Alps for a late one ?

C

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Morning Malcolm, not the best of days today, a lot of low cloud and light snowfall.  Just plenty of snow for new arrivals today, one of the busiest of the season. Temps OF -20C on the mountain next weekend. That's dangerous. Obviously as we go into March the sunshine makes for great ski-ing, so a good prospect for the rest of the season more than likely. Just back from Dolomites and they are having one the best snow season for quite a long time with low temps keeping the wonderful snow conditions down there. Meeting up with some old ski pal next weekend in Rauris, think I will have to bring my thermals, hip flask and hot water bottle. At least the runs there are soon back in the village and cosy mountain huts to keep warm with a beverage or two !  You off back to the Alps for a late one ?

C

Off on my annual March pilgrimage to Val Cenis in the French Alps on the 10th. We normally call it our "summer holiday" as the last several years have provided warm sunshine and lazy lunches on restaurant terraces. But I think this year's trip might be rather colder! I just wish I could go skiing as often as you do - you lucky bloke!! You'll be needing the hip flask full of schnapps next weekend! :D

• Like 1

Latest Snow Blog now out

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8744-turning-a-little-colder-for-the-alps-from-the-north-east

The SSW looks set to tease us next week, with some colder air, but with the very cold air remaining to the North East for now.

carinthian - would I be right in saying that Easterlies like this (the weak one current suggested for this coming week) tend to give more snow to parts of Austria than the models sometimes suggest.

• Like 1