Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2017/18

J10
Message added by Paul

Latest snow reports and mountain forecasts
Check out the Netweather ski and snowboard pages for the latest weather forecasts and snow reports virtually every ski resort in the world.

Julian's (J10) Alps Blog
Follow Julian's blogs through the season for his weekly update on the conditions and upcoming forecast for the Alps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Super day yesterday in the high mountains.

C

30265235_1767963583225340_7855023604893001680_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Well that's the last run of the season. View from the Tschaneck Mountain at 2200m above the village. Skis put away in the lock up. What a wonderful season, one of the best I can remember since my visit visit to Austria in 1976, fell in love with the mountains and first met my wife !. Great contributions again from Julian  ( and yes Julian, I can see the mountain range after your name from the top viewing point , looking over towards Slovenia ) jagged pink peaks similar to the Dolomites. Great contributions from Malcolm and the rest of the ski / snow mountain lovers in this site. John Holmes , keep going you old fool !   Anyway, ready for a bit of warmth and sunshine now and a visit to Blighty beckons, ah real pubs, real ale , cricket and proper pies  ! Hope those North Sea winds go way when I come over in May. Already excited for next season as we have plans for new exciting developments in place on the mountain.

C

dsc_3811_2014_01_sonnenuntergang-tschaneck_16841862322_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
8 hours ago, carinthian said:

Well that's the last run of the season. View from the Tschaneck Mountain at 2200m above the village. Skis put away in the lock up. What a wonderful season, one of the best I can remember since my visit visit to Austria in 1976, fell in love with the mountains and first met my wife !. Great contributions again from Julian  ( and yes Julian, I can see the mountain range after your name from the top viewing point , looking over towards Slovenia ) jagged pink peaks similar to the Dolomites. Great contributions from Malcolm and the rest of the ski / snow mountain lovers in this site. John Holmes , keep going you old fool !   Anyway, ready for a bit of warmth and sunshine now and a visit to Blighty beckons, ah real pubs, real ale , cricket and proper pies  ! Hope those North Sea winds go way when I come over in May. Already excited for next season as we have plans for new exciting developments in place on the mountain.

C

dsc_3811_2014_01_sonnenuntergang-tschaneck_16841862322_o.jpg

What a great post Paul!! And a stunning photo - it really does look like the sun is going down over the Alps for the season. Thank you for your kind comment about my contribution to the thread! And may I say, yours too! Wonderful 'on-the-ground' reports and photos throughout the season - fantastic!!

I love our mountain forum - friendly, informative and a place where like minded folk can share their passion for mountains and skiing/boarding!

I agree with you that it's been a wonderful season for the Alps - particularly for you guys in the east but more widely too for resorts above 1,500m. This article from snow-forecast.com on the 8th April is indicative of how impressive the season has been (and what great news for the glaciers!):

Exceptional Snow Depths on Alpine Glaciers

Snow depths in the Alps are at historic highs after more heavy snowfall over the past 10 days on top of already deep accumulations built up through one of the snowiest winters this century.  Probably THE snowiest this century in many areas.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/whiteroom/exceptional-snow-depths-on-alpine-glaciers/

• Like 2

Posted

May I echo what others have said - this is by far the best thread on Netweather, with lovely people enthused by mountains, ski and snow/(boarding). I will miss it greatly as we wish the amazing winter of 2017-18 farewell, even though it is still going in many places for now. In honour of what a great winter it has been, here is my final screen shot from Les Arcs, where people are still skiing away, distracting my attention from the Florida webcams I have been watching since returning from beaches and sunshine last week. Once a snowbie always a snowbie - my son walking the dog yesterday evening commented that there are still some 'nice wintry smells' in the air (cold fog has abounded this week), and we worked out that only means four months of the year where more summery aromas are in charge. Roll on September and the next eagle-eyed views of the webcams waiting for the first flakes to fall. 

screenshot-www.lesarcs.com-2018-04-13.png

• Like 3

Posted

Yep, it is a very enjoyable thread from like minded folk, many thanks, especially J10, for all the super posts and photos.

Roll on 2019, booked my flights to the usual place this morning. Hoping to ski a bit but if not then to walk in the stunning scenery.

I do love compliments

John Holmes , keep going you old fool 

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Really enjoy reading the comments in here.
lets hope that next season is approaching as good as this winters just gone.
Only a few months till the first snows/ :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

They're still having fun on the Scottish mountains. This was Ben Nevis on Saturday. I'm not sure I would have trusted that cornice to stay put!!!

• Like 2

Posted

It's snowing in Les Arcs this afternoon:)

screenshot-en.lesarcs.com-2018-05-13-18-42-17.png

• Like 2

Posted

Amazing picture from Val d'lsere taken on May 14th ! ...a never ending snow season . Just though this would cheer up snow and mountain lovers who cannot wait for next season to arrive...

C

DdKIRTGW4AAygCd.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Posted

Well its the end of June and the snow has returned to the Alps all be it breifly.

Top of the Edlewisse its all white with a good dumping of snow.

https://edelweissspitze.panomax.com/

Also note that at the top of a mountain viewing area they can afford to re tarmac the parking area, that only gets uncovered for 8 months of the year yet where I live there are roads that are terrible with pot holes and the structure falling apart that get driven on all the time.

Edited by seaside 60
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Putting all skiers and snow mountain lovers on alert. Just 20 weeks to start of ski season 2018/19. Already counting down. Picture below is the blue run into Katschberg village from the Gamskogel Mountain hut. Pleased to report that @Blessed Weather ( Malcolm ) and his old boys ski team coming out to resort in January. After a cool start to the summer season over here , pleased to say its warming up now. The new gondala linking the ski area lungau to Katschberg is well on time and will open up some wonderful runs for many staying in the village next season.

C

26904458_10213611998308747_1754953508255875767_n.jpg.557d13f779a8fdc45bece191e675d5da.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Putting all skiers and snow mountain lovers on alert. Just 20 weeks to start of ski season 2018/19. Already counting down. Picture below is the blue run into Katschberg village from the Gamskogel Mountain hut. Pleased to report that @Blessed Weather ( Malcolm ) and his old boys ski team coming out to resort in January. After a cool start to the summer season over here , pleased to say its warming up now. The new gondala linking the ski area lungau to Katschberg is well on time and will open up some wonderful runs for many staying in the village next season.

C

And us "old boys" are SO looking forward to our trip to Katschberg Paul!! We're definitely counting down - we've had two planning meetings already! :laugh:
That new gondola link sounds great; thanks for the update and the wonderful pic of the blue run. I'll copy your post and pic and send it to the boys.
M.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

26904458_10213611998308747_1754953508255875767_n.jpg.557d13f779a8fdc45bece191e675d5da.jpg

Where is it running through bottom of the long off piste run to where to top the black  and red run, rather than getting two lifts up or am I totally confused.

Is that the big biulding you can see on one of the web cams

Posted
51 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

And us "old boys" are SO looking forward to our trip to Katschberg Paul!! We're definitely counting down - we've had two planning meetings already! :laugh:
That new gondola link sounds great; thanks for the update and the wonderful pic of the blue run. I'll copy your post and pic and send it to the boys.
M.

Hi Malcolm,

This was taken last week. New base station Grizzly with new cable link to Silver Jet 1&2 link between Katschberg and Lungau resorts.  Helicopters delivered new pylons.

C

36944812_10155421168537536_3452867880205418496_n.jpg

cameragrizzly.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Where is it running through bottom of the long off piste run to where to top the black  and red run, rather than getting two lifts up or am I totally confused.

Is that the big biulding you can see on one of the web cams

Hi Seaside 60 , that's blue run 6 heading for Stamperl in the village. The building you can see at the top is the Gamskogelhutte Restaurant adjacent to the 6 man chairlift. Hope this helps.

C

Posted
12 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Hi Seaside 60 , that's blue run 6 heading for Stamperl in the village. The building you can see at the top is the Gamskogelhutte Restaurant adjacent to the 6 man chairlift. Hope this helps.

C

I meant the new building going up ie the one in your post above.

So that will run from the bottom to the top where the off piste run is, then you ski back to Katschberg via the red or black.

Posted
6 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

I meant the new building going up ie the one in your post above.

So that will run from the bottom to the top where the off piste run is, then you ski back to Katschberg via the red or black.

The new high speed lift replaces the slow old 2 man chairlift from St Margaretten ( next to Grizzly bar ). It then terminates at the base station Silver jet 1 ( next to the Aineckstuble.) So still effect you need to access 3 lifts, all gondalas back to Katschberg. The run home is the red run 11 from the Aineck. Basically the same route planning but with a much quicker return time back to Katschberg.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, carinthian said:

The new high speed lift replaces the slow old 2 man chairlift from St Margaretten ( next to Grizzly bar ). It then terminates at the base station Silver jet 1 ( next to the Aineckstuble.) So still effect you need to access 3 lifts, all gondalas back to Katschberg. The run home is the red run 11 from the Aineck. Basically the same route planning but with a much quicker return time back to Katschberg.

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

Posted

This picture taken last season just shows the extent of the runs on the mighty Aineck Mountain. All runs end in the village of St Margaretten. The run on the right through the trees is one of the longest in Austria ( A10 ) nearly 7 km glide from the mountain top to the Grizzly. The chairlift you see rising from the base station is now being replaced by a new state of the art Gondala ( now in construction ) Lots of nice mountain huts located on this side of the mountain. The other side of the mountain leads to Katschberg via a 6 km long mainly blue/red run.

C

16992491_2533596606667314_4137096615898600738_o.jpg

• Like 1