Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2017/18

J10
Message added by Paul

Latest snow reports and mountain forecasts
Check out the Netweather ski and snowboard pages for the latest weather forecasts and snow reports virtually every ski resort in the world.

Julian's (J10) Alps Blog
Follow Julian's blogs through the season for his weekly update on the conditions and upcoming forecast for the Alps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:23, carinthian said:

Recent picture of view towards The High Sonnblick from the beautiful Rauris Head Valley National Park ( Valley of the Golden Eagle ) This glaciated mountain stands at 3106m and is home to the highest permanent weather station in Europe. Rauris is a lovely little ski resort with some nice easy and accessible runs down to the village which in itself is very cute. Crystal Ski have been going their for several seasons and I usually go for a visit every winter season.

C

26167609_1259419387491383_2292675542377392426_n.jpg

50cm of fresh snow today in the East Tirol ski resorts. Picture below from my wifes home village in Alpbach. Snowing widely at 1000m in many resorts and high winds on top runs causing white out conditions with massive snowfall at 2000m.

C

26198580_1707757332608843_5976872327240500781_o.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Work well under way for the Lauberhorn races, marquees etc in the village, snow cleared off the stands at the finish, start area cleared into the start hut and the actual entry and the course itself now roped off.

latest link showing video cams for today, beautiful sunny skies and the reports suggest, the rain mentioned below for Zermatt has been reasonably well pisted over so most surfaces are good, plenty of work taking place in the village with wooden buildings rather than marquees going up where the prizes are presented each day after the 3 main ski races.

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/?langId=2

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Excellent ski blog again. Thanks for producing it.

One bit took my notice. The mention of snow for Zermatt. So I rang the local weather station (my sister in law!) ended up speaking to her and the worlds most senior and knowledgable winter weather forecaster ( my father in law) as well!?!

Seems it’s been a very interesting week. Several days of heavy snow (20cm ish each time) down to village level (1620m) followed by heavy rain in the village and then back to snow.

Yes as in the blog they reckon some more heavy snow is possible over the latter part of the weekend and in to the beginning of next week. Very significant snow possible above 2500m. However temps at village level are expected to remain around freezing as a max next week so there are some concerns as to the amounts that may fall on top of the existing 50cm in and around the village rising to 200cm above 2500m and potential avalanche danger. Something I guess we don’t all like to hear. 

If there is any extreme snowy weather I’ve asked my sister in law to let me have some pics and I’ll post them on here.

i should add based on previous experience of their forecasting skills expect a dry sunny weekend in Zermatt with temps up to +12?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Now this is something I would NEVER want to experience!!! :shok: Shame the tweet doesn't give any detail as to where this was.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
6 hours ago, Betleyblizud said:

Excellent ski blog again. Thanks for producing it.

One bit took my notice. The mention of snow for Zermatt. So I rang the local weather station (my sister in law!) ended up speaking to her and the worlds most senior and knowledgable winter weather forecaster ( my father in law) as well!?!

Seems it’s been a very interesting week. Several days of heavy snow (20cm ish each time) down to village level (1620m) followed by heavy rain in the village and then back to snow.

Yes as in the blog they reckon some more heavy snow is possible over the latter part of the weekend and in to the beginning of next week. Very significant snow possible above 2500m. However temps at village level are expected to remain around freezing as a max next week so there are some concerns as to the amounts that may fall on top of the existing 50cm in and around the village rising to 200cm above 2500m and potential avalanche danger. Something I guess we don’t all like to hear. 

If there is any extreme snowy weather I’ve asked my sister in law to let me have some pics and I’ll post them on here.

i should add based on previous experience of their forecasting skills expect a dry sunny weekend in Zermatt with temps up to +12?

I understand there have been a number of avalanches over the last few days around Zermatt

30 minutes ago, jonboy said:

I understand there have been a number of avalanches over the last few days around Zermatt

Yes things are not good. The Avalanche danger level is set at 3 for this weekend (3=considerable) which I guess is what is causing the worry especially with the potential for another heavy snowfall in the next couple of days. As many of you will know there is only one very winding main road up to Täsch from Visp and then it's the train in to Zermatt. There is a small road from Täsch to Zermatt but this is not a public highway. This, the rail line and the main road to Visp have in the past succumbed to avalanches blocking the village off. Although luckily this is a very occasional rather than regular occurrence.

On 06/01/2018 at 15:41, Blessed Weather said:

Now this is something I would NEVER want to experience!!! :shok: Shame the tweet doesn't give any detail as to where this was.

Scary

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/skiers-chairlift-video-silvretta-montafon-ski-resort-austria-storm-eleanor-weather-wind-a8143341.html

Apparently, it was the Shot at the Silvretta Montafon ski resort.

11 hours ago, J10 said:

Latest 3 day snow forecast

image.thumb.png.d8cf4165bad54501d81ed5aec4fc9a1f.png

Heavy snow still forecast in the Zermatt area from tomorrow at lower slopes, with snow throughout for higher slopes.

image.thumb.png.2c950653216073fd84497976afbe828d.png

Thanks for this J10. Made a phone call and it appears that there’s been a fair bit of rain yesterday in the village but it is now snowing heavily. I was told there is very significant snow above 2000m as it’s beenall snow there. So I’ve had a quick look at the webcam for Findeln which sits just above Zermatt at 2055m and yip there’s some really deep snow there. You can check it out on Zermatt.ch.

Looks like the forecast above had been spot on. Locally they are expecting a lot of snow over the next 24 hours

Posted
15 hours ago, J10 said:

Yuk, aside from being pretty worried that would make me sick as a parrot!

Posted

Some lovely snowy pics of the heavy falls that (in particular) impacted the southern French Alps and Italian Alps yesterday 8th Jan. Anywhere above around 1,500m was turned into a winter wonderland!! Tignes reported 3m of snow at 2,000m!!!!

Cervinia, Italy: 5a54729bd328d_Cervinia08Jan.thumb.jpg.cad044a7a378a29c797831e6d04fb25c.jpg5a5472f082a65_Cervinia08Jan2018.thumb.jpg.018f3e03896d39bc76aa177789cc0d8c.jpg

Sestriere, Italy: 5a54735066718_Sestriere08Jan.thumb.jpg.73f3ab9fa4d885604784224de14f1bae.jpgTignes, France 5a54736005d83_Tignes08Jan.thumb.jpg.cc3080644bf598cc1cb076b3ccc0538a.jpg

Bonneval sur Arc, France: 5a5473834db75_BonnevalsurArc08Jan.thumb.jpg.229051e185add58578c583eac2ff6d61.jpg Tignes: 5a54761d42be4_Tignes09Jan.thumb.jpg.42db556da0b3992b51eb8ed81033aee6.jpg

With thanks to severe-weather.eu for the pics.

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Some lovely snowy pics of the heavy falls that (in particular) impacted the southern French Alps and Italian Alps yesterday 8th Jan. Anywhere above around 1,500m was turned into a winter wonderland!! Tignes reported 3m of snow at 2,000m!!!!

Cervinia, Italy: 5a54729bd328d_Cervinia08Jan.thumb.jpg.cad044a7a378a29c797831e6d04fb25c.jpg5a5472f082a65_Cervinia08Jan2018.thumb.jpg.018f3e03896d39bc76aa177789cc0d8c.jpg

Sestriere, Italy: 5a54735066718_Sestriere08Jan.thumb.jpg.73f3ab9fa4d885604784224de14f1bae.jpgTignes, France 5a54736005d83_Tignes08Jan.thumb.jpg.cc3080644bf598cc1cb076b3ccc0538a.jpg

Bonneval sur Arc, France: 5a5473834db75_BonnevalsurArc08Jan.thumb.jpg.229051e185add58578c583eac2ff6d61.jpg Tignes: 5a54761d42be4_Tignes09Jan.thumb.jpg.42db556da0b3992b51eb8ed81033aee6.jpg

With thanks to severe-weather.eu for the pics.

Amazing amount !!

Posted
4 hours ago, carinthian said:

Amazing amount !!

And if current model output is to be believed, further heavy falls are likely over the next 10 - 14 days as Low Pressure dives into Europe on frequent Polar Maritime incursions! This is shown nicely on the ECM/GFS Mean 500hPa Height anomaly chart for the period 15th to 18th January.

5a54c2f164283_ECM_GFS3-daymean500hgts15-18Jan.thumb.gif.760c2505f6d222e785f3875bd715f5b5.gif

In this set-up the western Alps always likely to do best, and locally, altitude likely to be an important consideration, with locations above 1,500m doing particularly well. But the models have convinced me - I've just booked myself a week in Val D'Isere (1,850m) for w/c 21st Jan. Whoopee!! :)

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

And if current model output is to be believed, further heavy falls are likely over the next 10 - 14 days as Low Pressure dives into Europe on frequent Polar Maritime incursions! This is shown nicely on the ECM/GFS Mean 500hPa Height anomaly chart for the period 15th to 18th January.

5a54c2f164283_ECM_GFS3-daymean500hgts15-18Jan.thumb.gif.760c2505f6d222e785f3875bd715f5b5.gif

In this set-up the western Alps always likely to do best, and locally, altitude likely to be an important consideration, with locations above 1,500m doing particularly well. But the models have convinced me - I've just booked myself a week in Val D'Isere (1,850m) for w/c 21st Jan. Whoopee!! :)

Good man. Your just a snow machine! Bet your counting the days down now.

C

• Like 2

Posted

The incredible snowfall in the SW Alps has just been shown by the BBC Weather presenter on the forecast following the lunchtime news.

Certainly the photos coming in from Tignes this morning are spectacular.

"Anyone seen my coach?" :laugh:  5a54cbee2288b_Tignes209Jan.thumb.jpg.c9193e7724721abd06a6f965db0e8a3b.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Amazing, Zermatt railway station is shut and no tourists are able to leave, I suppose no new ones are able to arrive. The Lauberhorn is to go ahead although high winds are causing problems on the top apparently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Amazing, Zermatt railway station is shut and no tourists are able to leave, I suppose no new ones are able to arrive. The Lauberhorn is to go ahead although high winds are causing problems on the top apparently.

Reported that all routes are now closed into and out of Zermatt due to the extremely high avalanche risk.

MIA

1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Yes John the tourists are trapped!

I mentioned the other day that my wife’s family (my wife is from Zermatt) were concerned that conditions could deteriorate over the weekend and early this week.

i now understand that there is no skiing taking place as well with the avalanche danger set at 5. More snow is expected and temperatures look set to fall. So no immediate thaw to help conditions.

Edit: I’ve just noticed the the BBC are running the story now

• Like 1

A quick update from Zermatt. The official town website is now reporting 350cm in the mountains and 200cm of snow around the village itself! I notice from webcams that there as been a big clear out of snow in the actual village centre.

Edited by Betleyblizud
  • Like 1

Posted

Avalanche risk 5 is not often used in Switzerland. I have only ever been in the village over 30 years to have that once. ALL movement outside a marked area in the village is prohibited and at regular intervals the village siren is sounded. The ski school staff are used to stop anyone going outside the marked area. It is quite frightening as you can hear, sometimes see quite major avalanches occurring. The avalanche team are sent, if the flying weather permits, it to detonate the most prone areas on the mountains. The actual mountain railway was used to ferry many many tons of snow, ice, rocks and trees down the mountain before life returned to a fairly normal state 3, that is skiing ONLY on pistes designated as safe.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

We travelled back from Val d'isere on 30th December just missing the travel chaos due to a very early transfer. It was snowing so heavily on that last evening I just had to go out for a walk (beer) despite the need for an early night! Since we returned, I have been avidly watching the reports and photos with utter amazement and awe. How incredible the weather has been there since we left. Like buses, 3 years worth of snow in one go:)

Tempted as I am to go back asap to Val or Tignes, or even Italy, to make the most of it, we are trying to meet up with friends in Spain in early March so any thoughts on the likelihood of decent snow in Sierra Nevada or Andorra soon would be appreciated ? Their snow depths look paltry in comparison. 

I do feel for those in the Alps who have arrived but have been unable to ski, must be very frustrating ?

• Like 2