Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2017/18

J10
Message added by Paul

Latest snow reports and mountain forecasts
Check out the Netweather ski and snowboard pages for the latest weather forecasts and snow reports virtually every ski resort in the world.

Julian's (J10) Alps Blog
Follow Julian's blogs through the season for his weekly update on the conditions and upcoming forecast for the Alps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

30cm of fresh snow overnight in Katschberg. Some great ski-ing conditions for this years festive break . All resorts above 800m doing well.

C

untitled.png

25552238_1696760450375198_7900042402842938568_n.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

View from the car park right now.

C

26171094_10156077370918628_7995620848818390859_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Snow blowers on the slopes of Les Gets went on at 4:30pm yesterday and at 10 this morning are still going!

Possibly making as much as they can now in light of a LOT of rain forecast here Saturday and again around midweek.

Hopefully for those here that week the freezing level forecast will start dropping down, but it doesn't look brilliant away from the higher peaks. 

Posted

Wow, what a fantastic morning in Katschberg. Perfect snow and weather conditions. This is the blue run down from the lovely Gamskogelhutte, a favourite ski fodder hut. Get yourselfs over here !

C

26172064_10154994263092536_8079641499075284143_o.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s4lancia said:

Snow blowers on the slopes of Les Gets went on at 4:30pm yesterday and at 10 this morning are still going!

Possibly making as much as they can now in light of a LOT of rain forecast here Saturday and again around midweek.

Hopefully for those here that week the freezing level forecast will start dropping down, but it doesn't look brilliant away from the higher peaks. 

Indeed Les Gets although a stunning resort can be a little low at times. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Gets/6day/mid

Posted

The 1230 web cam on Mannlichen shows lots of folks about and plenty reclining in the deck chairs, even some on the Lauberhorn cam

https://panocam.skiline.cc/maennlichen1?cu=en-GB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Following recent heavy snowfalls, the rise in temperatures across the Alps over the last few days has seen the risk of avalanche rise substantially. This warning issued by the BBC today:

And tragically there has already been loss of life at Val d'Isere in the French Alps. This from Le Dauphine publication:

After the deadly avalanche in Val-d'Isère: the PGHM's call for caution
Following the avalanche that killed a young skier yesterday on the heights of Val d'Isère, Captain Patrice Ribes, boss of the PGHM in Savoie, calls for caution. "In the coming days, the off-piste and outings (hiking) in mountain areas are to be avoided.The avalanche risk is very high. It is better to give up."
The mountain bulletin of Météo France is unequivocal: avalancheux risk of 4 out of 5 above 2700 m of altitude and between 4 and 3 below, on all the massifs, with very thick plates in altitude, are very dangerous for the skiers.

5a4a509dc5e45_valdisere.thumb.jpg.81af9d4c9d7ec843523ad27ac57d1198.jpg

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2017/12/31/apres-l-avalanche-mortelle-a-val-d-isere-l-appel-a-la-prudence-du-pghm

Posted

Really looks like it's going to be an epic year for the Alps. Hellish rd conditions on 30th resulted in lots of tourist stuck between resorts and airports and as a result flights cancelled or delayed. I was going to celebrate New Year in Le Corbier but arrived in early hours after a 46 hr mini break at Gatwick. Barely stopped snowing since and 20-30 cm forecast tonight, 40 cm tomorrow. Not great conditions, white out  and increasing closures due to avalanche risks. End of week look great though.   Pic from one of the few breaks in cloud. Looking forward to a snowy UK on my return, no doubt the mods are bang on :D Have a great 2018 all :drunk-emoji:

100_1377.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

Super nice day now in Katschberg.  This picture is one of the back runs towards St Peters side of the mountain.

C

26167323_10155003398522536_8335593046213666510_n.jpg

Posted
5 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Super nice day now in Katschberg.  This picture is one of the back runs towards St Peters side of the mountain.

C

26167323_10155003398522536_8335593046213666510_n.jpg

View from same piste looking towards Aineck Mountain.

C

26232897_10156091919313628_4104095086061700424_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, carinthian said:

View from same piste looking towards Aineck Mountain.

C

26232897_10156091919313628_4104095086061700424_o.jpg

Posted

looks lovely, great blue sky and good looking snow, obviously the milder air further west has yet to reach you?

Posted
59 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

looks lovely, great blue sky and good looking snow, obviously the milder air further west has yet to reach you?

It started cloudy first thing after some overnight snow then sunny mid day. Cloud coming back now. Temp -3c in village and -7c at lift top station. Yes our part of the Alps and the Dolomites not really in the milder flow yet. Super conditions holding at the moment.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, carinthian said:

It started cloudy first thing after some overnight snow then sunny mid day. Cloud coming back now. Temp -3c in village and -7c at lift top station. Yes our part of the Alps and the Dolomites not really in the milder flow yet. Super conditions holding at the moment.

C

Hi Carinthian

Love the photo's you post,

Myself and the family are going to Kaprun in march,first ever ski holiday,whats it like over there?not only for the sking but going out in the evening etc....

Posted

Hello Suxer, its a place I have never been to. However, it has a reputation of a fairly lively resort with plenty of interesting restaurants and igloo bar I have heard about. The village is over looked by the mighty Kitzsteinhorn Glacier which dominates the sky line for miles around. A cable car wizzes you to the top of the 3000m summit for amazing views as you would expect . Are you travelling out with a tour operator ?

C

Posted
39 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Hello Suxer, its a place I have never been to. However, it has a reputation of a fairly lively resort with plenty of interesting restaurants and igloo bar I have heard about. The village is over looked by the mighty Kitzsteinhorn Glacier which dominates the sky line for miles around. A cable car wizzes you to the top of the 3000m summit for amazing views as you would expect . Are you travelling out with a tour operator ?

C

Hi

Yes booked with crystal thru TUI staying at the Barbarahof.

The wife bought it as a surprise we both have always fancied Austria(and snow)the resort was recommended by the travel agency staff.

Thanks for the reply 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, suxer said:

Hi Carinthian

Myself and the family are going to Kaprun in march,first ever ski holiday,whats it like over there?not only for the sking but going out in the evening etc....

Hi suxer. I hope you don't mind me adding to what Carinthian has said above. I've skied there several times, although stayed in Zell am See, just down the road.

For a number of reasons I think it's a great choice and you'll all have a fantastic holiday. For a start, with most of the skiing up on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier it's absolutely 'snow-sure', so you won't have to worry about conditions being poor. And learning to ski up on the glacier will be a spectacular experience. There's plenty of big, wide slopes up there, ideal for learning. Here's a pic of the glacier from one of my visits:

Kaprun_Glacier5.thumb.jpg.56a03efbd70ef3e54da44a21725ab80b.jpg

There is also a small ski area down on the outskirts of town and you can see that on the right of this tourist board photo:

Kaprun.thumb.jpg.408d24b37c3d3fb02ed4faf34a5b4ec5.jpg

But I thought this enthusiastic reviewer summed up the resort nicely:

Kaprun itself is the friendliest place we have been to in Austria, the locals can't do enough to help and make you feel very welcome. We loved the lively apres-ski bars in Kaprun at the bottom of the Maiskogel and the Pavilion in the centre, both with great atmosphere, lively crowds and friendly staff. We have decided to get married there next year as we fell in love with the place. Highly recommend Kaprun, a beautiful place with fabulous people and great slopes for beginners through to advanced.

I hope you have a great time!

Links:
Resort info  http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Kaprun
Resort reviews http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Kaprun/reviews
Tourist Board  https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/region/places/kaprun

• Like 3

Posted

Oh, if only I was 30 years younger, all the different ski areas in Europe to go to, never mind this time in 2 weeks I will be in Wengen all being well for 10 days.

Superb area of the forum this, totally devoid of any yah boo, slky digs etc we get in the model and other areas

• Like 4

The above comments about the potential for heavy snowfalls and high elevation but rain lower down seem spot on.

I have chosen Chamonix as an example.

image.thumb.png.79a9d510deb99322346755cd7e008d8b.pngimage.png

image.png.79346262d0374942558156ee7ef464e9.pngimage.thumb.png.beb42475bd901d7b7b65ffd331c020f1.png

image.pngimage.thumb.png.688bbc8ce56cf200b371d4dd6bec49d3.png

So this ranges from over 200mm of rain at lower elevations to over 150cm at mid elevation.

This could cause major issues for different reasons at different levels and something to be monitored closely.

Overall Snow across Alps over next 3 days, all from http://www.snow-forecast.com/

image.thumb.png.08209f6245665277499e9ae6fe590cc8.png

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Recent picture of view towards The High Sonnblick from the beautiful Rauris Head Valley National Park ( Valley of the Golden Eagle ) This glaciated mountain stands at 3106m and is home to the highest permanent weather station in Europe. Rauris is a lovely little ski resort with some nice easy and accessible runs down to the village which in itself is very cute. Crystal Ski have been going their for several seasons and I usually go for a visit every winter season.

C

26167609_1259419387491383_2292675542377392426_n.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hi suxer. I hope you don't mind me adding to what Carinthian has said above. I've skied there several times, although stayed in Zell am See, just down the road.

For a number of reasons I think it's a great choice and you'll all have a fantastic holiday. For a start, with most of the skiing up on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier it's absolutely 'snow-sure', so you won't have to worry about conditions being poor. And learning to ski up on the glacier will be a spectacular experience. There's plenty of big, wide slopes up there, ideal for learning. Here's a pic of the glacier from one of my visits:

Kaprun_Glacier5.thumb.jpg.56a03efbd70ef3e54da44a21725ab80b.jpg

There is also a small ski area down on the outskirts of town and you can see that on the right of this tourist board photo:

Kaprun.thumb.jpg.408d24b37c3d3fb02ed4faf34a5b4ec5.jpg

But I thought this enthusiastic reviewer summed up the resort nicely:

Kaprun itself is the friendliest place we have been to in Austria, the locals can't do enough to help and make you feel very welcome. We loved the lively apres-ski bars in Kaprun at the bottom of the Maiskogel and the Pavilion in the centre, both with great atmosphere, lively crowds and friendly staff. We have decided to get married there next year as we fell in love with the place. Highly recommend Kaprun, a beautiful place with fabulous people and great slopes for beginners through to advanced.

I hope you have a great time!

Links:
Resort info  http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Kaprun
Resort reviews http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Kaprun/reviews
Tourist Board  https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/region/places/kaprun

Hi Blessed weather

Great post thanks,we can't wait to get over there.Yes the travel agency staff said it was the ideal resort for late in the season skiing .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 hours ago, suxer said:

Hi Carinthian

You better like the Dutch or you'll be in for a rough holiday in Kaprun ?

Posted

Storm Eleanor made quite some impact in the Alps yesterday (Tues 3rd Jan), bringing heavy snowfall and strong winds. Alpe d’Huez, Avoriaz, Valmorel and most ski areas in the Chamonix Valley were closed. In Switzerland the entire 4 Valleys area was closed. Many other resorts shut their upper slopes with just a few runs near to their bases open. Val Thorens was one of the hardest hit by the storm with access roads closed, emergency accommodation offered and an effective curfew overnight.

5a4e11898312a_EleanorWindAlps.thumb.jpg.9ed199342feac0bcb37cdf2766fb5757.jpg5a4e13326fe54_ValThoren.thumb.jpg.46274c8d6ee2ee9ebb38b7c8a0a9fb1f.jpg

The biggest reported snowfall of the past 24 hours is a metre at Nax in Switzerland, Grimentz has had 70cm and there’s been 50cm at Tignes and Zermatt.

A party of Brits were among skiers left dangling 200m above the slopes when the cable car system at Valtournenche, Italy, failed in the high winds.

And tragically a skier died in Morillon, France, when a tree fell onto the piste.

ITV News report including video clips: https://www.itv.com/news/2018-01-03/storm-eleanor-leaves-skiers-hanging-above-ground-in-cable-cars-for-two-hours/

Inthesnow.com report: https://www.inthesnow.com/ski-areas-re-open-storm-eleanor-moves/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1