Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2017/18

J10
Message added by Paul

Latest snow reports and mountain forecasts
Check out the Netweather ski and snowboard pages for the latest weather forecasts and snow reports virtually every ski resort in the world.

Julian's (J10) Alps Blog
Follow Julian's blogs through the season for his weekly update on the conditions and upcoming forecast for the Alps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
12 hours ago, carinthian said:

Piste preparation in full flow early today. Looking good for the season opening on 8th December.

C

23405704_1503562649692785_6810004386375632142_o.jpg

Picture this morning from the nearby resort of Obertauren which is covered by the same area ski pass as Katschberg. Lifts open here early on 22nd November. Cannot wait to give them a buzz!

C

23405819_1443912652328757_1608475524427448448_o.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

So here we go again - all set for another good snowfall across the Alps over the next few days. Here's NMM take on snow accumulation from this morning up to midnight on Mon 13th Nov. Not much today or early Sunday, but really coming down overnight Sunday into Monday:

tempresult_bom3.gif

And if I'm not mistaken, we see the -5c 850hPa isotherm appear over the Alps for the first time this season, so freezing level gradually falling down to resort level quite widely. And once again the NW'ly flow kinks upon hitting the Alps to invigorate a Low over northern Italy and give another good fall for more southern Alpine resorts. A great early start to this season - let's hope we can avoid any unwelcome mild spells between now and opening dates!

Charts for Mon 13th 03.00:

5a06c13f5a8a2_GFS850Mon1303_00.thumb.png.57309e10cb1e65caab94d71c86a89b97.png5a06c1596f4ee_GFSFreezingLevelMon1303_00.thumb.png.ba4c1ed6849e4641306542eaeec720b0.png5a06c177d9d20_GFSAlpsPrecipMon1303_00.thumb.png.9c953031ff790c853abf8cbdb9304714.png

• Like 5

A good start to November, we can all hope that this can form a base and not washed away by a mild spell.

A few articles about the heavy snowfalls, both over Europe and in the US.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/whiteroom/huge-early-november-snowfall-alps-dolomites-pyrenees-north-america/

http://www.snow-forecast.com/whiteroom/resorts-opening-early-ski-season/

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

So here we go again - all set for another good snowfall across the Alps over the next few days. Here's NMM take on snow accumulation from this morning up to midnight on Mon 13th Nov. Not much today or early Sunday, but really coming down overnight Sunday into Monday:

tempresult_bom3.gif

And if I'm not mistaken, we see the -5c 850hPa isotherm appear over the Alps for the first time this season, so freezing level gradually falling down to resort level quite widely. And once again the NW'ly flow kinks upon hitting the Alps to invigorate a Low over northern Italy and give another good fall for more southern Alpine resorts. A great early start to this season - let's hope we can avoid any unwelcome mild spells between now and opening dates!

Charts for Mon 13th 03.00:

5a06c13f5a8a2_GFS850Mon1303_00.thumb.png.57309e10cb1e65caab94d71c86a89b97.png5a06c1596f4ee_GFSFreezingLevelMon1303_00.thumb.png.ba4c1ed6849e4641306542eaeec720b0.png5a06c177d9d20_GFSAlpsPrecipMon1303_00.thumb.png.9c953031ff790c853abf8cbdb9304714.png

Malcolm, where did you get that animated chart looks very useful and informative.

Posted
1 minute ago, J10 said:

Malcolm, where did you get that animated chart looks very useful and informative.

Hi Julian. Go to Meteociel and scroll down to WRF NMM and select the WRF Alpes et Suisse (click on the Swiss flag).

5a06f531dc728_MeteocielGIFgenerator0.thumb.jpg.329243b1b73281d083e3337aaad0c4a1.jpg

When the chart loads on your screen, look just above the chart to the right. You should see a tiny GIF symbol.

5a06f549a0787_MeteocielGIFgenerator1.thumb.jpg.c333e7fd10f95ecdaa278ccb92590f76.jpg

Click on the GIF symbol and a pop-up loads. Enter the start and finish hour (handy if it's a 384 hour model run as you can select a certain period, but for snowfall accum it's only a 72 hour run, so I didn't alter). I always alter the pause time at the end (Temps de pause à la fin) to 3000ms as I think it helps emphasize the end of the sequence. Then click generate (generer) button and Meteociel starts creating the animation.

5a06f5577cea3_MeteocielGIFgenerator2.thumb.jpg.61c9e7ed0c7c0ee7572babcba2539cf5.jpg5a06f5681b2cc_MeteocielGIFgenerator3.thumb.jpg.c708da06b89a8a14d5a1d7e89439ca6e.jpg

When Meteociel has finished creating it offers a number of options - you need to copy and paste the top link directly into your post (as you would a tweet). Within a second or two it turns into the animated GIF). Job done!! :smile:

5a06f577644ea_MeteocielGIFgenerator4.thumb.jpg.acbc26d65f1ec81bec3e7a51ceebd4da.jpg

• Like 1

Quick update from Zermatt.

16km of pistes already open in the Matterhorn ski paradise area with the Sunegga, Rothorn and Gornergrat areas opening on the 25th Nov. Info courtesy of the Zermatt newsletter.

Info courtesy of the sister in law is that significant snow down to village level is expected later today

• Like 2

Posted

Freezing level has taken its time to drop in some parts of the Alps during this current snowy spell. For example, here's Les Deux Alpes at 1,650m 16.30 yesterday compared with 09.15 today (Mon 13th):

5a097091155d3_Les2Alpes12Nov16_30.thumb.jpg.74d4fbfa5adba08f108d478b153cd191.jpg5a0970a0167cc_Les2Alpes1650m13Nov09_15.thumb.jpg.4449a22bb4d1177c234bc138c1532781.jpg

But finally overnight freezing level has dropped significantly - here's Ellmau in Austria at 827m this morning:

5a0970d2b9b71_Ellmau827m13Nov.thumb.jpg.72e33376c228fec59dbba5843b0d29ba.jpg

Snow still falling widely this morning - indeed, you can't see anything on many webcams either through poor visibility or the camera covered in snow! A few other webcam grabs:

Grindelwald, Switzerand  5a097156899d4_Grindelwald1020m13Nov.thumb.jpg.197b1617747eeb6331f4255c937aa3dc.jpgPasso Tonale, Italy 5a09717dc7639_PassoTonale2570m.thumb.jpg.53ae1ec38d56e011a06b7cf4e4ff823c.jpg

And a couple for John - snowing hard in Wengen and the Lauberhorn downhill finish area at 11.00 (local time). Can't see the start hut at the top as its a white-out!!

5a097626d83ae_Wengen13Nov.thumb.jpg.004670f5f4eacf6da467a3786c547001.jpg5a097634c53e8_Lauberhorndownhillfinisharea13Nov.thumb.jpg.74aeeb0c6dec8bdb9019f8010c8edec9.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Nice cold start to the day in Katschberg. Current temp -6c with snow making machines all guns firing. Piste workers doing a good job.

C

93.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

If my memory serves me correctly, compared with previous images I've seen from that webcam, that appears to be a very good depth of snow on that piste for this stage in the pre-season build-up Paul? And from model output, looks like more cold and snow is due this coming weekend and into early next week.

I'm loving this current 'rinse and repeat' weather pattern - so much better than previous years with a huge Euro-slug High sat over a warm and dry Europe! :smile:

P.S. Hope you're enjoying being back in Katschberg - I'll pm you later.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

If my memory serves me correctly, compared with previous images I've seen from that webcam, that appears to be a very good depth of snow on that piste for this stage in the pre-season build-up Paul? And from model output, looks like more cold and snow is due this coming weekend and into early next week.

I'm loving this current 'rinse and repeat' weather pattern - so much better than previous years with a huge Euro-slug High sat over a warm and dry Europe! :smile:

P.S. Hope you're enjoying being back in Katschberg - I'll pm you later.

Hello Malcolm. I think the piste guys have been surprised to be given such a good start to work on the base. Prolonged freezing temps will now help with fresh snow top ups aided by a whole range of snow making guns. Do not look the like of the latest American models, if they come to fruition a lot of good work will have been wasted. However, we over here the weather service providers favour the ECM/ UKMO outcome to maintain colder condition towards the second half of the month. Obertauren opens its runs in a couple of weeks. We could even open here in that time but all planned for early December. Love being back and the early snow makes me very happy !

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Hello Malcolm. I think the piste guys have been surprised to be given such a good start to work on the base. Prolonged freezing temps will now help with fresh snow top ups aided by a whole range of snow making guns. Do not look the like of the latest American models, if they come to fruition a lot of good work will have been wasted. However, we over here the weather service providers favour the ECM/ UKMO outcome to maintain colder condition towards the second half of the month. Obertauren opens its runs in a couple of weeks. We could even open here in that time but all planned for early December. Love being back and the early snow makes me very happy !

C

Afternoon,

I would imagine after the few years you are in heaven along with all the resorts.

I cant believe how much snow they have had since September, also although much of it has melted lower down until the last couple of weeks, the glaciers must of had a great top up and bringing it more back to normal.

Its so annoying how much snow they have had so early compared to last March.
I would imagine if we went back to ski there again, apart from the buildings we wouldn't recognize the slopes lol...

• Like 2

Posted

Dream day in Katschberg. That's the view across to the Aineck Mountain and the black run. The top of that run is said, "to be the steepest in Austria" .Maybe, but you will not get me anywhere near on that ! Cruising Blues and occasional Reds for me now.

C

23593631_10155950083968628_8753461617649019338_o.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted

Much the same in the Jungfrau area Paul

ski tracks down into the finishing area and piste basher at work near to the Lauberhorn start gate

https://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn

Also thanks BW, 40-50 cm on the upper slopes and 25 cm in the village, just hope for similar dpths when I go, not snowing this morning just misty with all the moistrue from the snow yeaterday, sun now out-wonderful.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Much the same in the Jungfrau area Paul

ski tracks down into the finishing area and piste basher at work near to the Lauberhorn start gate

https://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn

Also thanks BW, 40-50 cm on the upper slopes and 25 cm in the village, just hope for similar dpths when I go, not snowing this morning just misty with all the moistrue from the snow yeaterday, sun now out-wonderful.

Love that pancam. Just blows me away. Do you venture that far up the mountain JH ?

Posted

Oh yes, I do not go all the way down on the Lauberhorn now but the Lauberhorn chairlift takes one from the railway station at Kleinne Sheidegg at 6,700 ft to near the top of the Lauberhorn mountain, around 7,800-8,000 ft then a short ski down to the start hut you see on the right. Left of that there are 3 main runs, one back to KS, one down below the railway called the Wixi, about 5,600 ft and the variations on the Lauberhorn to the finish. Not done that for several years, no way my legs would stand that even going gently. Yes, sitting on the cafe terrace the views are jaw dropping no matter how many times I sit there.

Fingers crossed I can still gently potter around those and other runs down the other side, called the Mannlichen towards Grindelwald.

I do envy you though, speaking the language and living with that all round you for the winter. Hope you have a great winter season.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Enjoy John ☺

• Like 2

Posted

Here are some super pictures taken on the local mountain yesterday . Piste preparation looking good.

C

23511126_10154890631197536_6665676059060219604_o.jpg

23632350_10155952607548628_5816950470900005182_o.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
18 hours ago, Daniel* said:

What a spectacular image. 

It is absolutely stunning looking around the webcams today. Across the Alps it is largely a blue skies day with all the resorts benefiting from the lovely early season snow to be very well covered even down to the lower levels. The Lauberhorn cam is very excitedly covering nearly one-third of the screen telling us they are opening at the weekend. Long may it continue and the Euro high go into hibernation:):cold:

• Like 2

Posted

Only 6 more days to the start of the ski-ing season in the nearby resort of Obertauren. I will be there for the first runs of the season and also drinking beer in the Apre Bar of the fabulous Hotel Schneider pictured below earlier today.

C

23675027_1450112811708741_135979396945298592_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
23 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Only 6 more days to the start of the ski-ing season in the nearby resort of Obertauren. I will be there for the first runs of the season and also drinking beer in the Apre Bar of the fabulous Hotel Schneider pictured below earlier today.

C

23675027_1450112811708741_135979396945298592_o.jpg

Obertauren, easily my favourite resort. In the Bowl, probably one of  the coldest as well. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, shotski said:

Obertauren, easily my favourite resort. In the Bowl, probably one of  the coldest as well. 

Yes I like the runs and the easy lift system. The bowl is nice in the sunshine but not the place to be when the weather closes in. Only a short drive from here, so can be easily on the slopes there under one hour. Found another gem of a resort in the next valley, Zauchensee, great wide runs into the village, all ski in/out, just as I like it. Also Obertauren has some wild Apre ski bars namely, Edelweissalm.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

It was several years ago we went there, had a great Australia instructor called Bill I think and stayed at the petersbuhl