Jacques Steventon

Moving on from a maplin weather station

Hello,

I've got a maplin weather station. I have had it for about 6-7 years now. Weirdly it hasn't stopped working. It's still going strong but I want something that might provide better data and possibly quick data intervals as well.

I know about the Davis stations but they are a little out of my price range. Does anything have any suggestions that are good quality but still fit within a budget?

The next step up is perhaps one of the Oregon stations. The WMR89 is probably the one that fits the bill most.

If you can stretch to a Davis Vantage Vue though, then its a significant improvement.

There isnt much choice in the mid-range unfortunately. It seems theres a glut of cheaper stations and not much above £150 that offers a significant improvement unless you pay a lot more.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 14:48, Jacques Steventon said:

Hello,

I've got a maplin weather station. I have had it for about 6-7 years now. Weirdly it hasn't stopped working. It's still going strong but I want something that might provide better data and possibly quick data intervals as well.

I know about the Davis stations but they are a little out of my price range. Does anything have any suggestions that are good quality but still fit within a budget?

What price range are you looking at, and what interval update?

Wouldn't mind a 3s interval. Price range, I can't spend to much. Maybe a few hundred. 

On another note. I see you are from Dorset, im in Blandford and run the Dorset Live Weather web page :)  Hasn't been running now for a few months as I moved house and can't get station on the house easily :(

Well damn me another person in the Dorset area, you area so lucky to have the height there, so often there's snow in Blandford and not here, the height you benefit from. Hmm, so 3 second updates, that's a  tall order for the money., As much as I'm a lone sole, I've been running LaCroose equipemnt for 14 years, and whilst I had failures, a quick purchase of a replacement sender or rain measure, I've been away. More grief with Internet suppliers and hub issues than station issues (touch wood). The LaCrosse 3650 is 20second update @ ~ £230, and does the same as mine.

Regards

Db

Having never had a weather station, I have been trawling through the collective knowledge and experiences in this section over the last month or so.  As Reef suggests I'm wobbling back to the Vantage Vue every few days, so may be about to take the plunge also....

I use a  Vantage Vue 

Edited by Stuart

19 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Having never had a weather station, I have been trawling through the collective knowledge and experiences in this section over the last month or so.  As Reef suggests I'm wobbling back to the Vantage Vue every few days, so may be about to take the plunge also....

Given they are all in one just be prepared in the event of an issue.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

I had a Vantage Vue a while back. It's a great station, but the integrated sensor array is a pain in the backside, unless you live in a nice wide open space with no obstacles anywhere near it. I say this because it needs to be situated at around 1.5m for correct temperature / rain readings. However, you will lose out on decent wind readings if you're in an enclosed space. I did have mine on a 4m pole, but I wanted decent wind readings, so I did lose out on temperature accuracy. The other downside to that is, during  wet & windy weather, the rain gauge would under-read by a significant margin due to wind blowing rain away from the funnel area. I do have the Vue console though.. I keep that downstairs so I can get my Vp2 readings elsewhere in the house. I also like the meteor shower/equinox/solstice information on it.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Watch out for the capacitor issues, unless of course they have fixed that..

What capacitor issues?

3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Watch out for the capacitor issues, unless of course they have fixed that..

Yes. I suffered that problem within the first week of owning it. 

1 minute ago, vizzy2004 said:

What capacitor issues?

http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9832

It's plagued the Vue's for years!

3 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

What capacitor issues?

Apologies thinking Davis Pro2, which of course Mapantz has commented upon..

Edited by Dorsetbred

1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Yes. I suffered that problem within the first week of owning it. 

http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9832

It's plagued the Vue's for years!

Ah no worries, got an issue with one of VUE consoles not powering up, was wondering if it was anything to do with the capacitor, but it all looks OK to me.

2 hours ago, shuggee said:

Not sure what everyone else thinks of this station, but I know a few people who are trialing one and I've had good feedback. WiFi aswell so easy to get connected online. http://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ventus-w830-weather-station-with-wifi-internet-connection-542-p.asp

Tempted to get a few to place in frost hollows, as valley locations tend to be a bit kinder to the stations than on hillside/top locations which would suit a robust station like a Davis.

22 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Not sure what everyone else thinks of this station, but I know a few people who are trialing one and I've had good feedback. WiFi aswell so easy to get connected online. http://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ventus-w830-weather-station-with-wifi-internet-connection-542-p.asp

Tempted to get a few to place in frost hollows, as valley locations tend to be a bit kinder to the stations than on hillside/top locations which would suit a robust station like a Davis.

Hi, looking at the specs two things ross my mind. First the rainfall measure seems to be limited to 0.25mm rather than a nominal 01.mm. Looking at the data retention it looks a bit short in time period, but that might be because it's tied to Weatherunderground. Which brings me to my final point, if you cant capture the data yourself and have to use Wunderground, given they are "pulling in their reins" at the moment, if they were removed, how would you access the data? Just some open thoughts...

Edited by Dorsetbred

4 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Hi, looking at the specs two things ross my mind. First the rainfall measure seems to be limited to 0.25mm rather than a nominal 01.mm. Looking at the data retention it looks a bit short in time period, but that might be because it's tied to Weatherunderground. Which brings me to my final point, if you cant capture the data yourself and have to use Wunderground, given they are "pulling in their reins" at the moment, if they were removed, how would you access the data? Just some open thoughts...

Thanks for your reply.

The rainfall issue isn't too much a big deal for me, 0.25mm is still a good measure. I use a Davis Vantage Pro 2 for my own location but I find the WiFi stations handy for setting up at other locations so the person "hosting" the station for me doesn't need to hook it up to a PC. Whilst Wunderground may not be the safest option currently, I believe its possible to set up the station to WeatherBug and WeatherCloud also. My concern is probbaly more for how robust the station is, the accuracy of the data and the longevity.