Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Daniel*

Storm Brian - Weather discussion

Recommended Posts

I'm in Trowbridge,looking like a bit of a breeze later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the.models that had it south were right on this occasion unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Looks like the.models that had it south were right on this occasion unfortunately.

Sigh, I did hope not but mended the wobbly fence 'just in case'. After '87 I never take chances if a gale is forecast. However.... plenty of time for it to move further NE yet. Early on I thought they had Ophelia's track wrong but it moved further north west fairly rapidly so could still happen this storm moves to where it was forecast too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coldfingers1 said:

Sigh, I did hope not but mended the wobbly fence 'just in case'. After '87 I never take chances if a gale is forecast. However.... plenty of time for it to move further NE yet. Early on I thought they had Ophelia's track wrong but it moved further north west fairly rapidly so could still happen this storm moves to where it was forecast too.

Lets hope so. Although the met have always had it south too. Hence where the yellow warnings are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain has stopped since 17:00hrs, skies cleared but now wind is picking up blowing moderate to fresh east south east. Pressure 984.7mb falling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely dead calm here, after a windy night and morning (gusting in low to mid 40's). Really crisp with lovely leaf scent. I wish it would stay like this. 

Brian could be useful, about turn and annoy Trump's remaining intact golf resorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Absolutely dead calm here, after a windy night and morning (gusting in low to mid 40's). Really crisp with lovely leaf scent. I wish it would stay like this. 

Brian could be useful, about turn and annoy Trump's remaining intact golf resorts.

For a woman of 93 (or is that now 103) you do have a very modern sense of humour, SH!:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the rainband it sure looks like it could be sqaully as it ventures inland, hope so! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Force 6 winds here, calmest it has been here on the coast here for 36 hours. Not progged to be gale force here until early tomorrow, net-weather giving 53 mph gust for my town but they always underestimate the wind strengths in a storm, so I will expect 55mph gusts at least, most likely when that squall line moves through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

For a woman of 93 (or is that now 103) you do have a very modern sense of humour, SH!:good:

Ahem, 95 I'll have you know; and one has to keep up with the current psychopaths. And, if you remember the two photos back in 2006 in the members photo thread, my Italian diet all helps with that age :closedeyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to something in the 50's. Although, my current record is 50mph on this station - back in February, I have to go back to 2014 to see similar longevity of wind speeds. Hopefully a new record tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm looking forward to something in the 50's. Although, my current record is 50mph on this station - back in February, I have to go back to 2014 to see similar longevity of wind speeds. Hopefully a new record tomorrow!

Isle of Purbeck SHOULD get higher wind speeds than me as where I live is a little bit sheltered from the South Westerly winds. If it turns Westerly though it could be a different matter for me but possibly even worse for you. Likely the road into Purbeck could flood? Just checked and yes, you do have a flood warning so be careful please, high tide could be interesting!

Edited by coldfingers1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't look anything special here just a normal breezy day. Still it's been a breezy month gusts averaging mid 30's and wind speed 10 mph. After Sunday it's looking rather quiet without any possible storms right to the end of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The high RES although the Arpege likes to over do wind speeds highlights well the potential for very squally winds within any showers when you compare the wind and ppn charts for the same time 

gustkph_015.thumb.jpg.8265be53f84861269a58bcdd39035fa4.jpgpreciprate_015.thumb.jpg.e1cb2d5708ca19c5f9ae9a455438d604.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm looking forward to something in the 50's. Although, my current record is 50mph on this station - back in February, I have to go back to 2014 to see similar longevity of wind speeds. Hopefully a new record tomorrow!

So am I. Haven't seen a 50, let alone anything over that, since I moved Down South from Scotland (Hurricane Bawbag was a highlight (nightmare), creeping home from work, south on the M77, over Eaglesham Moor at almost 1,100 feet asl is something I'll never forget). Brian won't produce 50 for my area unless it hits much further south than most models predict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wind is deffo picking up ..gusting to 20/30mph ..wheely bins are starting to show some motion lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind has abruptly returned, pressure dropping. The brief, still, crisp Autumn hours are sadly over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raining consistently here and the wind is definitely picking up with gusts of approx 30mph so far- could be more (no instruments to measure speed). I'm in Swansea Bay.

Edited by WelshWanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just managed 41mph not too long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty tastey charts - Brian isn't a massive storm but its a spicey one that might delivery a fair punch...

I think the spring tide tomorrow PM in the Bristol channel could bring a bit of water higher than usual - no real shakes, but certainly of interest.

17102109_2012.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paul T said:

Pretty tastey charts - Brian isn't a massive storm but its a spicey one that might delivery a fair punch...

I think the spring tide tomorrow PM in the Bristol channel could bring a bit of water higher than usual - no real shakes, but certainly of interest.

17102109_2012.gif

id go with that :)  propper storm in gert lush land :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are exactly the sort of things you want to watch out for on radar for enhancing wind gusts in a setup like Brian, small localised "squall lines/showers" that mix the air around bringing the higher level winds to the surface.. Could be some good cloud scapes tomorrow 

Screenshot_20171020-225226.thumb.png.ec1ef803ae81b1f1fc55a84d1c4a1d9a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winds 35km/h south, pressure 980.2mb. Clear and starry. Wind is picking up here and rain showers merging later. Not pleasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmn... we already have F7 gusting F8 here. Higher than I expected for this early on. I am now wondering if this could possibly get a little higher than the F9 they have forecast for tomorrow? Interesting to watch anyhow.

http://www.chimet.co.uk/(S(2dtruvvm5bw1r2ztyy0erb55))/wind.aspx

Hmmn just dropped a little but still interesting that it was slightly higher and I AM surprised at what a large area Brian is covering!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...