Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Brian - Weather discussion

Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

New station record for moi. 10 minute average of 24mph. Not bad for here, considering the Purbeck hills create a bit of a shelter.

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon from a very windy Portsmouth! Funny to be just 20 miles away from the Needles (as the crow flies) where 82mph has been recorded - here, branches down galore but not "trees-down" thankfully. And mostly in good sunshine. Actually quite nice! In contrast my weather station has only a recorded 20 km/h gust, though it is surrounded by houses :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Wet and windy in East Lancashire now, pretty much as forecast but horrible all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

My house has just been shaken by a gust of wind . It isn't constant but boy oh boy when it does gust it doesn't hold back . 

We have our carnival tonight , not going  to be fun in the rain that's forecast for later on ! 

Posted

Starting to get some strong gusts a tad more than the average storm in these parts being relatively sheltered 50mph gusts are not common. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Too windy to stand still at dog training earlier. Constantly having to step back or forward to remain stable.

High heels (as in your avatar) a bad idea in strong winds?:laugh::D:p

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
17 minutes ago, andymusic said:

winds here are still bad - here's a picky of storm Brian ripping up Porthcawl harbour, wales 

storm brian.jpg

Wales obviously bearing the brunt at present, then.  I wonder what this suggests for the likely track of the strongest winds as they make their way over to this side of the country this evening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Always Snow.

It’s rather windy here in Swindon. Nothing too dramatic but enough to keep my son and I in the house. People don’t realise how unbearable winds can be for people with autism and sensory issues.

My girls are on the trampoline hoping it will take off. I don’t have the heart to tell them.

• Like 1

Posted

Windy in Liverpool now,should there have been a warning for rain as well? Been heavy none stop for the last hour or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

Just been to the seafront. It was bright but very windy. A shower developed out at sea and ran parallel to my location, but it brought wind gusts of at least 55 mph, making it difficult to walk. The rain felt like needles, too.

Hi Lightning Lover. I've had such a great time down at the front this afternoon !! I can see why they closed the pier !! It was nice to get to meet other like minded nutters as well. I'm sooo glad I moved to Hastings  :D:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Bit of a non event down here really, windy yes but nothing extraordinary. The odd shower blowing through but other than that it's been a nice bright and sunny day.

Posted

Live from south wales on www.exploresouthwales.com (if not allowed, please move or delete admin) 

storm brian.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
16 minutes ago, beatpete said:

Live from south wales on www.exploresouthwales.com (if not allowed, please move or delete admin) 

storm brian.JPG

http://www.porthcawl-lifeboat.co.uk/live-streaming/ < Porthcawl Pier Cam

Posted
24 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Living life on the edge I do understand the thrill but that’s ridiculous.

This photo of people "putting their lives at risk" is something of a stormy day regular. There is extreme foreshortening of the view, the huge wave breaks are safely beyond the crowd.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just been down to the beach. Appalling conditions with driving rain and strong sustained winds gusting approximately 50-60 mph. Not pleasant. 

• Like 1

Posted

Fortunately forecast for my area was wrong. Never had a peak here just a bit breezy. BBC  forecast suggested it was going to get to 40 odd mph. Now showing 20 odd. 

No complaints other than I hoped all the falling leaves were going to be blown into a nice convenient heap to pick up. Oh well once again weather around here is a disappointment excitement wise. . Mind you better than having your roof blown off. 

Posted

After getting obscenely drunk last night, I missed most of today, although the garden fence is still up - just. 

Here's a lovely satellite image from the DSRS, taken at 1349BST: 

1249UTC 21-10 VIIRS Crop.jpg

Posted
Just now, Stormhog said:

After getting obscenely drunk last night, I missed most of today, although the garden fence is still up - just. 

Here's a lovely satellite image from the DSRS, taken at 1349BST: 

1249UTC 21-10 VIIRS Crop.jpg

loomks like a definite eye in that storm, is that the tropical core everyone was on about?