Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Brian - Weather discussion

Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
5 minutes ago, kar999 said:

Aberystwyth taking a pounding again.

Capel Curig is top of the leader board for wind gusts at  70 mph. I can confirm it's a tad breezy here as my bins have gone up the lane for a nice walk again this morning.

Wow that is a big sea... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
28 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Meanwhile out at Bognor the surfers are having a great time! http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

Looks like they've gone for lunch. Big undertow though by the looks of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

I have no idea of wind speed I'm afraid, but suffice to say it is , judging by the fence panels , rather breezy in Somerset. Dark too , but little in the way of rainfall. Although that is set to change I believe in the coming hours . 

Posted

really nasty winds here but we are on top of a mountain in wales 240m up - mumbles is showing gusts up to 75mph, don't think we are too far off that here aswell

Posted

Things look to be coming along about as shown by the models in the last few days (though the GFS was a bit slow, clinging on to a slightly higher intensity). 

Windy, yellow warning worthy in places so the Met Office warning about right, but not sure if it's worthy of a top story 'UK braces for storm Brian disruption' headline on the BBC? or them saying conditions aren't as bad as expected. Very windy at the usual exposed sites on the west coast though, Mumbles average 58mph gusting 75mph.

Seems that because it was named by Met Éireann due to an orange warning there, and that several days ago there was a possibility if a more potent system, the news/media have ramped this up as quite a big event for the UK..

For my location, just a blustery/windy day so far as expected, forecast only reaches 40mph gusts for a few hours, though I was wondering if that is slightly low because the GFS nears 50mph (though downgraded a tad from yesterday), and the Met Office has mid-high 50s' and even 60mph near the north/south coast of Devon.  Probably correct though as we can seem a bit sheltered from the SW by Dartmoor etc, and widespread 50mph+ gusts look reserved for exposed or coastal areas. Half an eye on showers bringing some more potent gusts inland though.

Sea was decent enough this morning but I have seen worse before in June.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

That looks like an eye in the Irish sea on radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Around 10mph knocked off the original forecast wind speeds. It was just as windy yesterday and the day before but no yellow warnings then.. Nothing really noteworthy in this region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
5 hours ago, SteveB said:

Not even windy here, am I missing something? 

Not missing a lot for the South coast although it is F8 gusting F9 here and high tide

. You are sheltered in North Somerset though.

Live webcam of high tide here in Bognor.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

Edited by coldfingers1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Too windy to stand still at dog training earlier. Constantly having to step back or forward to remain stable. Now, at home in west facing garden (with open land beyond) it’s two/three steps to stay upright when putting away garden furniture.  No idea of wind gusts; only expecting 46 but it’s certainly blowing out there. 

Sunny with racing clouds - a fab day! 

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

It's Wales rather than the South West taking the brunt of Brian. Gusts increased here in the last hour as the Storm centre moves across the Irish Sea.

Certainly warranted a Yellow and Spring tidal surge/flood warnings for this region.

Screenshot_20171021-133402.thumb.png.75fc62c3706248517b6d94fd79f7b8ff.pngScreenshot_20171021-133816.thumb.png.8078d43f6e57812fdf06d4c16b3d0d36.png

Edited by kar999
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely and sunny but getting cloudier here in Cambridge. Actually quite warm and there are some hardy bumblebees flying around... This bracing wind + digging  up the veg patch= Very effective hangover cure! 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Just a bright and breezy afternoon inland here in London, even the showers have eased. Different story around southern and western coasts though.

Exposed sites recording some high gusts ... 82mph at The Needles on IoW (though very exposed in E. Channel), 74mph at Aberdaron (again very exposed sticking out into Irish Sea) and 72mph at The Mumbles near Swansea, S Wales.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, kar999 said:

It's Wales rather than the South West taking the brunt of Brian. Gusts increased here in the last hour as the Storm centre moves across the Irish Sea.

Certainly warranted a Yellow and Spring tidal surge/flood warnings for this region.

Screenshot_20171021-133402.thumb.png.75fc62c3706248517b6d94fd79f7b8ff.pngScreenshot_20171021-133816.thumb.png.8078d43f6e57812fdf06d4c16b3d0d36.png

Indeed, although I'm not sure how much of that is just an impression created by the number of very exposed stations in Wales, or whether the GFS is quite wrong in it's wind distribution at virtually T-0 (which wouldn't be very good performance at all...) as it shows the SW getting winds as strong and the N coast of the peninsula perhaps getting the strongest gusts.

ukgust.pngukgust.png

Definitely yellow warning worthy in these areas though, just not as strong/severe a storm as some might have gotten the impression of from the media etc

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

Certainly still blowing a hoolie here but I'm also exposed and at altitude. Not as bad as Ophelia though. Hopefully if it dies down soon we're off down the peninsula for a beach walk with dogs now the tides out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Something is happening at Bognor beach.. you can see hear the Air Sea Rescue helicopter and activity on beach as people watching and pointing... http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

Posted

one of Brian's outflow fronts over us now - rain has gone mental and wind is quite formidable - worse than Ophelia here for defo

Posted

35mph gusting to 52 out west of here seems like it nothing much yet.

To see 35mph to 45mph means like they use to  across the country instead of just seeing gusts on the weather map forecast to would be better,instead of just showing feeble gusts of 45mph.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Just been to the seafront. It was bright but very windy. A shower developed out at sea and ran parallel to my location, but it brought wind gusts of at least 55 mph, making it difficult to walk. The rain felt like needles, too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Damn it, I almost drove down to Bognor Regis today as well, the waves look fairly big on the webcam. No point now it's past high tide

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.

Police on the beach at Bognor and a boat out searching, plus heard a helicopter the whole time I was out walking the dog for an hour! When will people learn NOT to take risks with the sea..

Edited by coldfingers1