Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flu prospects this winter

Snipper

Posted
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 17:35, Nick L said:

I'd never dream of wasting a GP's time and the resources of the NHS with going to the doctor for a cold. I mean, what do people expect them to do? A packet of paracetamol is about 30p for heaven's sake. 

Like you say, if you're developing severe symptoms or are in a particularly vulnerable risk group there's really no need to waste the time and resources of the NHS even with flu. I really wish they had figures for the number of people who actually needed to be there. 

When I caught flu in June 2017 it was actually from visiting the GP for a simple blood pressure check. I have no idea why people choose to go and willingly sit in a waiting room, touching door handles, coughing, sneezing and spreading it to other people when they don't need too. As you say, the GP can't actually do anything for them and if they had a genuine risk of complications they'd probably be at A&E anyway.

I've only had flu in 2002, 2008 and 2017 and its totally unmistakeable from the common cold - 4 days in bed and a cough afterwards for 8 weeks too.

• 9 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
9 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Got flu for the first time last December and, jeez, there's no mistaking that with a heavy cold. Wiped me (and the wife) out for days on end, although the kids didn't get it. My wife's had a vaccine this year which she got free through work, and the youngest is due to have one at school. I'm not eligible and neither is my eldest so not sure what to do this season.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Got flu for the first time last December and, jeez, there's no mistaking that with a heavy cold. Wiped me (and the wife) out for days on end, although the kids didn't get it. My wife's had a vaccine this year which she got free through work, and the youngest is due to have one at school. I'm not eligible and neither is my eldest so not sure what to do this season.

For years I didn’t have a flu jab as after having it one year I was very poorly. Lasted months. Over recent years had one and had no problems either with the jab or flu. But that might be the luck of the draw. 

If you have a cold at the time this might cause problems. The nurse this time asked me if I had a cold.

I see my local surgery are doing jabs for those who do not qualify for £10. Cheap at the price if it stops you getting flu. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

i woke up Monday Morning with cold like symptoms, slight sore throat, running nose and just felt 'coldy'. By 2pm I was shivering, hot/cold and had no energy. Had to lean against a pole waiting for bubs to come out of ninja's. In my bed by 7, felt so ill but just couldn't sleep, and was asleep on/off all night feeling hot/cold, temperature up a bit from normal. Now feeling just coldy with a cough and not 'right'  At least managed to do some house work today.

Now i'm not saying I got 'flu' but I tell ya, cold bugs have changed. I used to know i was getting one - feeling thirsty, having a sore throat then it would hit a day or so. This was being ok from the evening to being coldy overnight then feeling quite poorly.      

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
25 minutes ago, Dami said:

Now i'm not saying I got 'flu' but I tell ya, cold bugs have changed. I used to know i was getting one - feeling thirsty, having a sore throat then it would hit a day or so. This was being ok from the evening to being coldy overnight then feeling quite poorly.      

What is changing is the way post viral problems are now being more widely recognised?

I think 'Yuppie Flu' was the start of such wide acceptance of post viral malaise and if there was ever a reason for the flu jab it is this quality of life ending 'sting in the tail' from viral infections.

The flu virus is generally an upper respiratory tract infection so the blighter kills cells in your upper resp tract. If the virus is able to enter the blood stream then the cells it will kill are in the first ports of call namely the heart , the brain and the descending aorta.

If you wish to live with the symptoms of flu , minus the snot and temp then try it out!!!

Chronic fatigue, chronic vertigo, chronic muscle/ joint pain,brain fogs and all served up with periodic reactive depression from the impacts of it all!

If you are ill go to bed and keep hydrated.

Do not 'struggle on' and infect all and sundry as you do not know how it will impact others!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I've had mine for the first time this year as I am in close contact with several people who are immune system compromised.

Because of the nature of the flu virus, it's much harder to create a 100% effective vaccine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
18 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I've had mine for the first time this year as I am in close contact with several people who are immune system compromised.

Because of the nature of the flu virus, it's much harder to create a 100% effective vaccine.

Indeed, the flu I caught was despite having had the jab. Recombination of the virus with any other virus inside a person leads to some nasty 'variants' of the thing and can lead to nasty impacts on society as we saw in the pandemic after the First World War?

Then it took young ,healthy folk and appeared to spare older ,less fit folk?

I wonder just how protected our under 35's would be if we saw a similar strain erupt over flu season and just how well our NHS would deal with any major outbreak?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
17 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

What is changing is the way post viral problems are now being more widely recognised?

I think 'Yuppie Flu' was the start of such wide acceptance of post viral malaise and if there was ever a reason for the flu jab it is this quality of life ending 'sting in the tail' from viral infections.

The flu virus is generally an upper respiratory tract infection so the blighter kills cells in your upper resp tract. If the virus is able to enter the blood stream then the cells it will kill are in the first ports of call namely the heart , the brain and the descending aorta.

If you wish to live with the symptoms of flu , minus the snot and temp then try it out!!!

Chronic fatigue, chronic vertigo, chronic muscle/ joint pain,brain fogs and all served up with periodic reactive depression from the impacts of it all!

If you are ill go to bed and keep hydrated.

Do not 'struggle on' and infect all and sundry as you do not know how it will impact others!!!

not really sure what to say. Considering my husband has been ill, I have spent the last week or so looking after him, and his wasn't a cold. So apart from standing in a playground waiting for my daughter or answering the door to the postman I haven't been spreading it 'around' 

My reply isn't about yippie flu. The reason I am saying 'the cold bug has changed' is because it does - that's why there probably never be a cure - but what I am also saying it is mutating in something quite nasty.  A few days of warning( which I would get for a normal cold) was more like a few hours.  

The cough and losing my voice started today - but as I am able to get up and walk to school it would not be deemed 'flu' although how quickly it came on you could argue as such.

I posted a while back of my experience a while back which to a greater or lesser extend put me off having a jab, but I am not against it, my daughter had hers, as will my husband.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Yarmy said:

yep too many people go round saying they have the flu when they clearly don't..i got flu in January 2000 ..i literally slept almost non stop for 3/4 days and did not know where i was or what day or time it was..took a good 6-8 weeks to make a full recovery..its the only time i have taken a week off work sick..in fact it was the last time i was off sick from work.

Posted

Been to see my mother today in the home she is residing at. Only a vague clue who I am but happy to talk to anyone who lingers, particularly if they ply her with sweets. Better visit today as she vaguely remembered old memories fleetingly.

I take my iPad in and show her old and new photos including ones going back to the early 1900’s. Hasn’t had had a flu jab and is only on one medication. A laxative. They don’t build them like that now. She is 103 and so far outlived her eldest son and working to outlive her second. Just had my consultation with my consultant about cancer. 

Oh well carry on paying the money. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Blimey Snip,  didn't realise all that was going on for you. All the best to you and your mum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Flu is horrendous. Nothing more to say. Never felt so ill in all my life than when I had that. Barely lifted my head off the pillow for the best part of a week. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Figures show the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust is the worst performing trust in England with just 62.4% of Patients treated or admitted within four hours of arrival 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The NHS had a better Christmas than it did in 2017 with ambulance handover delays and overall bed occupancy falling year-on-year

A number of factors will be behind this mainly the extra funding, lower flu rates and better weather with no major ice and or snow issues