Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flu prospects this winter

Snipper

Posted
2 hours ago, ciel said:

Mine's due next week. Never previously had an adverse reaction to the vaccine except for a wee lump on the arm for a couple of days. 

However, earlier this year, I did pick up something more than a common cold, more like flu, ( I know the difference between common cold and flu btw ) and I am still slightly deaf in my right ear.

Whatever it was, last years vaccine didn't protect. I welcome new research into the effectiveness of flu vaccine and the older members of society.

It only reduces risk of contracting it by 40-60% so certainly the vaccine does not offer high effectiveness, however upon catching the illness it also lessens the severity, so at risk folk elderly and the sick and the very young should definitely have it. Viruses are very hard to treat. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Never had the flu myself, but it always winds me up when someone who obviously has a cold whines about having the "flu".

• Like 2

Posted

Difference between ManFlu and proper Flu?

Manflu  - you complain that you feel like you are dying.

Flu - you will actively wish you were dead.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, swebby said:

Difference between ManFlu and proper Flu?

Manflu  - you complain that you feel like you are dying.

Flu - you will actively wish you were dead.

Sounds familiar. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 18/10/2017 at 18:34, Bristle boy said:

I had flu jab 3 weeks ago....paid £8.95 in Superdrug. Used to get it free at work every Oct before i finished work last year.

I contracted full blown flu about 12/13 years ago. It was awful and contrary to what some plonks think it is 10× worse than the heaviest of common colds. The cough that appears a few days into catching flu lasted 3 months!

Temperature up and down for days, sweats, aching lower back, loss of appetite are just some of the things that come with flu.

As for weakening your immune system.....well i've not had flu since the time i mentioned...and i've barely had a cold in last 10 years.

It's absolutely horrendous isn't it...and I sure as hell remember the lower back aches which I attributed to the kidneys. I've never felt as ill in my life as I did with flu...had it twice within a couple of years. The second one I caught was the swine flu variant- came on very fast, deteriorated quickly through the day to the point where I was vomiting too by the end of the day. With that one, however, tamiflu was prescribed fairly promptly and OMG is that a wonder drug!

Also, the one positive with influenza is because it's so debilitating, it isn't as easily spread as the common cold as people who have it can't get out of bed to spread it! It also requires a higher viral load to infect someone.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I had flu on new years eve of 1999 - was absolutely gutted! I also had swine flu back in 2008 and was prescribed tamiflu. However, the first night I took it, I didn't go to sleep as I thought I was genuinely going to die.
I've had a free flu jab every year since 2012. I haven't had the flu in that time, so i can't say that the jabs 100% help, but I do like to think so, especially as it's free.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
40 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I had flu on new years eve of 1999 - was absolutely gutted! I also had swine flu back in 2008 and was prescribed tamiflu. However, the first night I took it, I didn't go to sleep as I thought I was genuinely going to die.
I've had a free flu jab every year since 2012. I haven't had the flu in that time, so i can't say that the jabs 100% help, but I do like to think so, especially as it's free.

I bet the tamiflu worked wonders though in the end. I felt absolutely terrible and couldn't get out of bed for a couple of days but the tamiflu shortened the illness considerably when I caught swine flu. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

I have been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and now qualify for the flu and pneumonia jab . I decided to have it as my illness can give me severe distress at the best of times and even a simple cold can knock me out .

yes I had a painful arm and a couple,of days later I felt rotten forc48 hours but that could have just have been my illness flaring . Since then though I've had no side effects and feel grateful for being able to get the jab . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I bet the tamiflu worked wonders though in the end. I felt absolutely terrible and couldn't get out of bed for a couple of days but the tamiflu shortened the illness considerably when I caught swine flu. 

It did work very well in the end CC. Although I didn't leave the house for 7 weeks, partly because my chest was still quite bad and I also didn't want anyone else to be put through the ordeal that I had lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
On 18/10/2017 at 18:38, Ed Stone said:

And eight-out-of-ten people can't tell the difference between S***k and butter!:D

Just in case anyone's wondering, Natural News is not a reliable source.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:28, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Just in case anyone's wondering, Natural News is not a reliable source.

Well a nurse told me yesterday the flu shot made the patients worse as they were all mostly poorly after the flu shot,coughing and spluttering where I went.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Well a nurse told me yesterday the flu shot made the patients worse as they were all mostly poorly after the flu shot,coughing and spluttering where I went.

Absolute tosh! The nurse should be sacked and struck off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
11 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Absolute tosh! The nurse should be sacked and struck off.

Absolute tosh you should be sacked for saying such a thing evidence is evidence saw it with my own yes.

I was told not to go in today as the patient is much worse today.

Archive...

Flu Vaccine Caused 3587 US Miscarriages & Stillbirths

Theres lies and theres statistics about vaccines of all kinds.

Vaccines Did Not Save Us – 2 Centuries Of Official Statistics

Posted

I wish we could just ship all anti-vaxxers to their own island where they can all happily have a life expectancy of 35. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Aussie Flu seems to be taking hold in the UK and Ireland at least 1600 got it over Christmas week

The current hot spots look to be Plymouth and Doncaster

rr-map-flu-v4-af.thumb.jpg.47d826f82b1ac2fd052352e2707ca857.jpg

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
On 11/19/2017 at 12:10, Nick L said:

I wish we could just ship all anti-vaxxers to their own island where they can all happily have a life expectancy of 35. 

love you too

Posted
20 hours ago, Dami said:

love you too

:cc_confused:

Just saying...If some people really want to leave themselves and their children susceptible to easily preventable illnesses, I would just prefer them to do it well away from civilised society. People taking the irresponsible decision not to vaccinate puts others at risk, it's an incredibly selfish decision.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted

An 18-year-old Girl from Applecross, Strathcarron, Scotland has died after a bout of flu turned into pneumonia

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/student-18-dies-after-contracting-11836663

Posted

Current levels of flu are "not unprecedented" Public Health England have also said coverage of the so-called Aussie flu outbreak was a little "misleading"

"Prof Paul Cosford, medical director from Public Health England, said: "The levels of flu being seen are high and of course that is contributing to the pressures in the NHS, but they are not unprecedented levels."

He also suggested the coverage of the so-called Aussie flu outbreak was a little misleading, saying that while it was circulating at "significant" levels there were two other strains that were also causing problems."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42652675

Posted

This year the more common type of jab does not protect against one of the dominant strains, the B/Yamagata type. This more commonly affects children, but the NHS nasal spray given to infants does include protection.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/q-a-should-i-be-worried-about-flu-fbd0s6xlq

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Sadly the 'B' type is a fast spreader and high shedder so the groups that are generally incubators for Lurgy ( kids before immune system fully up and running and elderly with immune systems failing) are the ones to avoid if you can!

Posted
On 11/01/2018 at 16:57, Summer Sun said:

An 18-year-old Girl from Applecross, Strathcarron, Scotland has died after a bout of flu turned into pneumonia

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/student-18-dies-after-contracting-11836663

The family and friends have taken to social media. They have been hounded by reporters especially the Scottish Daily Mail, at home and also the school, despitefully repeated requests for privacy.

I hope we can all respect their wish after this awful tragedy

• Like 1

Posted

Data for last week shows influenza B has had more confirmed cases than 'A' which is 'Aussie flu'

1,785 people had influenza A
2,278 people had influenza B

GP consultations for flu in the UK

Scotland 107.2 per 100,000 people

Northern Ireland 52.6 per 100,000 people

Wales 38.9 per 100,000 people

England 37.3 per 100,000 people

Epidemic levels per 100,000

England 109
Scotland 419
Northern Ireland 142
Wales 75