Sign in to follow this  
Nick L

UEFA Nations League

So the "Leagues" have been announced with England in the top league, A, Scotland in C and all other British Isles nations in B. But the format is mind bogglingly complicated...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41580638

One of the stranger features is one of the bottom 16 nations in Europe is guaranteed a place at Euro 2020 :fool:

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

So the "Leagues" have been announced with England in the top league, A, Scotland in C and all other British Isles nations in B. But the format is mind bogglingly complicated...

One of the stranger features is one of the bottom 16 nations in Europe is guaranteed a place at Euro 2020 :fool:

I have no idea what's going on. Do we play teams in our group? 

8 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I have no idea what's going on. Do we play teams in our group? 

We play in a group with two other teams from League A, otherwise I'm lost. I think the idea of this is good, as it means that we see fewer meaningless friendlies, but the execution is a mess.

1 thing about the Next euros is better 2 sides qualify from each group with for once is simple enough, but then to have 4 Nations League qualifiers in addition is a strange one.

Apparently the whole thing starts next Autumn, but it does look a mess.

3 hours ago, Nick L said:

clear as mud...somebody at UEFA clearly has too much time on their hands

One silly flaw that I have just realised is that it would be more worthwhile to get relegated to League D where it would be much easier to get yourself a spot in the Euros...

its just another watering down of a great competition...world cup is rapidly turning into a joke of a competition..looks like the Euros wants to follow suit..so in theory some big nations could miss out in favour of the likes of Gibraltar or the isle of wight?

8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

One silly flaw that I have just realised is that it would be more worthwhile to get relegated to League D where it would be much easier to get yourself a spot in the Euros...

Thought that myself and getting promoted would make it tougher. They should do a rethink on it regarding playoff places imo and just do the playoffs as they usually do.

1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its just another watering down of a great competition...world cup is rapidly turning into a joke of a competition..looks like the Euros wants to follow suit..so in theory some big nations could miss out in favour of the likes of Gibraltar or the isle of wight?

They are trying to make the game more popular and so give smaller nations a chance. But you are right.

1 minute ago, sundog said:

They are trying to make the game more popular and so give smaller nations a chance. But you are right.

the game is already the most popular sport in the world..lets be honest who would you rather watch in the Euro finals Germany v Italy ..or San Marino v Luxemburg?

The Euros should never have been expanded to 24 teams, and the World Cup being expanded to 48 is just as daft. Let's be honest, the quality of Euro 2016 was dreadful. Portugal winning it says it all.

Edited by Nick L

1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

the game is already the most popular sport in the world..lets be honest who would you rather watch in the Euro finals Germany v Italy ..or San Marino v Luxemburg?

Indeed. I think they are just trying to shake international football up a bit but really it's more of a glorified friendly competition imo.

38 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The Euros should never have been expanded to 24 teams, and the World Cup being expanded to 48 is just as daft. Let's be honest, the quality of Euro 2016 was dreadful. Portugal winning it says it all.

The atmosphere out in France was absolutely amazing, you should have gone. The colour the smaller nations made was amazing and many other tournaments, including Euros and World Cups end up being very forgettable, especially 2004 when Greece won. 

In many ways the first World cup you watch will always be the best. The first I remember was 82.

So the 24 team format was a massive success IMO, but if they were going to go for 10 groups in the next qualifiers, having 20 teams in the next Euros works.

As for the World Cup 32 is the correct number and any more would dilute it IMO.

Edited by J10

1 hour ago, J10 said:

The atmosphere out in France was absolutely amazing, you should have gone. The colour the smaller nations made was amazing and many other tournaments, including Euros and World Cups end up being very forgettable, especially 2004 when Greece won. 

In many ways the first World cup you watch will always be the best. The first I remember was 82.

So the 24 team format was a massive success IMO, but if they were going to go for 10 groups in the next qualifiers, having 20 teams in the next Euros works.

As for the World Cup 32 is the correct number and any more would dilute it IMO.

The format was an absolute farce. You could technically qualify from the group stage without winning a match. 

Get it back to 4 groups of 4 and only the best nations. But there's less money to be made there...

37 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The format was an absolute farce. You could technically qualify from the group stage without winning a match. 

Get it back to 4 groups of 4 and only the best nations. But there's less money to be made there...

Correct..you could have won Euro 2016 without actually winning a game..get out of the group with zero wins and then win each subsequent game on penalties.

2 hours ago, J10 said:

The atmosphere out in France was absolutely amazing, you should have gone. The colour the smaller nations made was amazing and many other tournaments, including Euros and World Cups 

That was apparently why the euros were expanded and was especially lobbied by the Scottish and Irish football associations. Platini made the point himself about countries like Ireland and Scotland etc bringing colour to tournaments.

5 minutes ago, sundog said:

That was apparently why the euros were expanded and was especially lobbied by the Scottish and Irish football associations. Platini made the point himself about countries like Ireland and Scotland etc bringing colour to tournaments.

what next?? ensure that the Scandinavian countries always qualify because they have the best looking female supporters??..its football tournament not the Mardi Gras ..jeez

Edited by cheeky_monkey

35 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

is this what is replacing qualifiers:cc_confused:

No but for countries who don't qualify automatically how well a country does in the nations league will decide if they get a play off place. The nations league starts next sept the draw for which is in Jan 2018. The euro qualifing draw takes place Dec 2018 with the qualifiers starting in march 2019. 10 group's ,2 sides from each group qualify automatically. Apart from the euro play offs the nations league is really just a glorified friendly competition really.

Edited by sundog

9 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

what next?? ensure that the Scandinavian countries always qualify because they have the best looking female supporters??..its football tournament not the Mardi Gras ..jeez

Spot on! I'm all for atmosphere but a balance must be had. There are 54 nations in UEFA, the 24 team format means that nearly half of them qualify, it's silly. Might as well just do away with qualifiers and have one behemoth mess of a tournament...

9 hours ago, lassie23 said:

is this what is replacing qualifiers:cc_confused:

Nah, the qualifiers still go ahead. The top 2 automatically qualify from each group. Beforehand, because of the tournament expansion, some 3rd placed teams qualified. Again - silly! Being rewarded for mediocrity.

This diagram makes it much more clear...

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20778.0;

It's great news for the likes of Scotland as they will be playing teams of their own calibre with better chance of qualifying...in theory.

Edited by Nick L

I suppose part of the motivation is to replace meaningless friendlies with competitive games. The other motivation is to generate a load more money (of course).

The clubs will hate it. :)

5 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I suppose part of the motivation is to replace meaningless friendlies with competitive games. The other motivation is to generate a load more money (of course).

The clubs will hate it. :)

I'm all for the reasoning behind it. There is nothing more annoying than real football being put on the back burner for a fortnight for meaningless friendlies.

I need to sit down and study this format   Totally bemused by it all.  by the looks of the qualification criteria it looks like even Wolves could qualify.

Euro 2020 will now see Wembley hosting 4 games from the group stages as well as both semi-finals and final as previously planned

Brussels had planned to build a new stadium for Euro 2020 but it isn't built and won't be done in time