Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Possible hallmarks of a sting jet to SW of Ireland looking at Eumetsat airmass imagery, where dry air intrusion from aloft is wrapping into the southern side of Ophelia and allowing downward momentum of very strong winds aloft. Striations at the end of the hook seem to me to further suggests this.

Airmass_0800.thumb.PNG.165ac46f576017db559b716b9ca516b4.PNGgustkph_009.thumb.jpg.9ae06be9964a9f4ebcef36fc7f1a445e.jpg

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

their armoured vehicles are being made ready-

I'm pretty sure the sky turning yellow is the met office trying out a new warning system after some backlash. 

Looking forward to my trip to #Ireland

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

I'll make this my last one so as not to derail the thread but it wasn't the only mistake they made - they were calling it ex-tropical when the NHC still had it as a hurricane an hour later. In some jobs it is unacceptable to make mistakes e.g. accounting, air-traffic control. I think severe weather warnings come under the same category, people in this country rely on them to assess their safety, even to a life or death situation. It's not a simple mistake in this context.

I’m a qualified accountant and a human being-mistakes do happen occasionally no matter how hard you try not to. I don’t know a single person in my life in any field of work, professional or otherwise who hasn’t made a mistake at some point. I’m not always the biggest fan of the met office warnings etc but it’s not possible to be perfect- sod working for someone like you!

Edited by James1979
  • Like 3
Just now, James1979 said:

I’m a qualified accountant and a human being-mistakes do happen occasionally no matter how hard you try noy to. I don’t know a single person in my life in any field of work, professional or otherwise who hasn’t made a mistake at some point. I’m not always the biggest fan of the met office warnings etc but it’s not possible to be perfect- sod working for someone like you!

Maybe the Met are going to prove me wrong anyway. That shift to the west reduces the threat to the West coast of Wales. If it doesn't gust above 75mph there, then I'll happily say good call. A few hours to go yet.

• Like 1

We will have to wait for the analysis to see when it did truly change, the MO comment alluded to pieces of jigsaw not quite fitting across the Atlantic in communications. It was an unusual setup. So we can not assume one or other was right or wrong. Also has been a lot of shrieking about Ambers and Red warnings, again no-one will be mucking about with this. Weather is these peoples lives, they live and breathe it like some on the forums. Everyone wants this to go as well as it can. 

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Amber warning now stretches into west wales

And into Scotland... which is just perfick. Hubby left for work just over an hour ago. Luckily son is off school because it's the October week, otherwise he'd be out already as well

• Like 1

Just done the walk to school with the youngest, it's very eerie out there this morning even over here on the east.

Normally the place would be alive with birdsong and seagulls, but near enough nothing. The closest I can compare it to is the final 30 minutes before an eclipse. And the warm breeze, really strange.