Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

their armoured vehicles are being made ready-

I'm pretty sure the sky turning yellow is the met office trying out a new warning system after some backlash. 

Looking forward to my trip to #Ireland

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
    1 hour ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

I'd recommend getting out to Cape Clear island (off the south coast of Cork) the day before by boat. Did it February 2 years ago before a biggish Atlantic storm and got some great photos. I imagine the shots possible from Ophelia would be incredible!

ZDvmMkB.jpg?1  6SXMkuN.jpg

Sherkin island would not be a bad spot either,just ten minutes on the ferry from the mainland at Baltimore. 

• Like 1
    Posted

Arpege takes strong winds through the Irish Sea skirting north Wales 

IMG_0989.PNG

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
    4 minutes ago, sundog said:

Sherkin island would not be a bad spot either,just ten minutes on the ferry from the mainland at Baltimore. 

That would be a good back up. Doesn't quite have the same elevation as Cape Clear, but it would have better accommodation!

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes
    6 minutes ago, knocker said:

Whilst many seem to be wishing (as usual) for Ophelia to intensify and track further east and having a little titter about it it's occasionally worthwhile having a ponder.

In January 1968 I was on a ship anchored in the Clyde when the great Glasgow storm struck demolishing much of Glasgow and killing 30 people in the process, some in the river next to us. We were lucky not to join them as we nearly ran aground.

Fast forward 15 years to 1981 and I also remember well the storm of December 1981 in these parts which resulted in the loss of the Penlee lifeboat, the Solomon Browne, and all of the crew.

Just in case this generates the usual refrain "of it will happen irrespective of what we say" that is totally irrelevant to wishing/wanting the storm to impact fully the UK to the extent of hoping it will change track, which I find totally crass.

I think with today's technology and expertise, I doubt there will be any deaths, the media is everywhere tracking me, right now there are three countries watching every move I make I believe Iceland is now on the lookout. I will of course state that there will of course be some silly people wishing to witness my power along the shores/cliffs of Ireland, I wouldn't recommend this as my power will be unpredictable but I can't stop people from being so drawn to me, people wish to see, feel and hear what they have never embraced before. I do understand some folk here wish that I would die of but...well you know.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
    Just now, The Eagle said:

DL8pbEJW0AAk9-3.jpg:large

A misleading graphic really. It may have Cat 1 strength winds, but it won't be a hurricane.

• Like 3
    3 minutes ago, OPHELIA said:

I think with today's technology and expertise, I doubt there will be any deaths, the media is everywhere tracking me, right now there are three countries watching every move I make I believe Iceland is now on the lookout. I will of course state that there will of course be some silly people wishing to witness my power along the shores/cliffs of Ireland, I wouldn't recommend this as my power will be unpredictable but I can't stop people from being so drawn to me, people wish to see, feel and hear what they have never embraced before. I do understand some folk here wish that I would die of but...well you know.

You have good internet connection out in the Atlantic,4G ?? :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
    4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

A misleading graphic really. It may have Cat 1 strength winds, but it won't be a hurricane.

Sorry to ask, why won't it be if it's that strength still ?

4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
    Just now, Beverley Lass said:

It will need to sustain characteristics of a hurricane, but by the time it arrives in Ireland it won't have those. A storm can have hurricane force winds and not be a hurricane, like most winter storms the UK experiences. 

• Thanks 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

You have good internet connection out in the Atlantic,4G ?? :closedeyes:

LTE network ;)

• Like 1
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

What Ross said :D

Not trying to underplay the threat of this, as 100mph winds are 100mph winds! But a Hurricane it is not :)

• Thanks 1
    Posted
    30 minutes ago, knocker said:

Whilst many seem to be wishing (as usual) for Ophelia to intensify and track further east and having a little titter about it it's occasionally worthwhile having a ponder.

In January 1968 I was on a ship anchored in the Clyde when the great Glasgow storm struck demolishing much of Glasgow and killing 30 people in the process, some in the river next to us. We were lucky not to join them as we nearly ran aground.

Fast forward 15 years to 1981 and I also remember well the storm of December 1981 in these parts which resulted in the loss of the Penlee lifeboat, the Solomon Browne, and all of the crew.

Just in case this generates the usual refrain "of it will happen irrespective of what we say" that is totally irrelevant to wishing/wanting the storm to impact fully the UK to the extent of hoping it will change track, which I find totally crass.

Sorry but we are weather enthusiasts at the end of the day and the majority on here do wish for the 'extremes' like heat and thunderstorms in summer, cold and snow in winter and deep low's with severe gales in Autumn and we all know with all those scenarios that there is a risk to life and sadly at times there are some tragic consequences. However that should not stop us from wishing or looking out for any of those scenarios to come to fruition despite the risks and nor should there be any attempts of being guilty just because the majority wish for the 'extremes' which has the risk of tragic consequences.

Edited by Geordiesnow
    • Like 6
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    Just now, Geordiesnow said:

Sorry but we are weather enthusiasts at the end of the day and the majority on here do wish for the 'extremes' like heat and thunderstorms in summer, cold and snow in winter and deep low's with severe gales in Autumn and we all know with all those scenarios that there is a risk to life and sadly at times there are some tragic consequences. However that should not stop us from wishing or looking out for any of those scenarios to come to fruition despite the risks and nor should there be any attempts of being guilty just because the majority wish for the 'extremes'

Hear hear!

• Like 1
    Posted
    17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I know that. Only posting it because, well, I don't think we have ever seen charts like these before here. It has novelty value.

Edited by The Eagle
    • Like 1
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

I know that. Only posting it because, well, I don't think we have ever seen charts like these before here. It has novelty value.

I agree, in this day and age we have so much access now to information than we had before let's say 30 years ago, this is an exciting time for Ireland, me included.

Posted
    14 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

That's handy a cyclone with knowledge of communication,you'll be able to repair the damage after you've recked it  :rofl:

I have insurance, just joined AXA yesterday :).