Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

It was the sting jet that caused most damage in a relatively small area. I remember struggling with my 9 mile journey to work to get in and colleagues who'd come in from the west of London and Berkshire hadn't realised what an event the night had been

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It was also I believe, the storm that lead to the discovery of 'sting jets'. 

Yes, Much better data now than in the 80's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind, Thunder, Snow, warm sunshine!
20 minutes ago, Fergie said:

Schools buses and schools advised to close by Irish weather service in the south of the country. Irish weather services say it could be or has the potential to be as bad as debbie in 1961. I think that's pushing it. Living along Irish sea I don't think it will be so bad but I can see some coastal flooding occuring. 

I think this will be worse then Debbie, as Debbie didn't develop into a major-hurricane when it approached even if Ophelia packs half the punch she possesses currently by the time she makes landfall on Ireland it's going to be a scary experience for those in the thick of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House
9 minutes ago, knightstorm87 said:

I think this will be worse then Debbie, as Debbie didn't develop into a major-hurricane when it approached even if Ophelia packs half the punch she possesses currently by the time she makes landfall on Ireland it's going to be a scary experience for those in the thick of it.

fair one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
1 hour ago, knightstorm87 said:

I sincerely hope that isn't the case, I have a beloved young lady who lives not far from Dublin so I'll be thinking of her and praying she stays safe. 80 - 90 mph would be bad enough let alone 130 - 140 :-(

Aw KS87 bless you! 

If the wind cone shows consistent evidence during today that it extends to Dublin and 80 to 90 mph does become more certain, why not ask her to stay home tomorrow to ensure she stays safe? And you sane?

If she works for the emergency services or NHS that won't be possible as all hands will be needed to keep services working normally even away from the most impacted areas (they'll move human/equipment resources to where they think they'll be most needed - assume they work similar to our Gold/Silver Command).  If not, a day at home indoors will be the safest option and we all need a duvet day from time to time...

Posted

MetOffice has upgraded its advisory for Northern Ireland, now under an Amber alert for wind. Very dangerous times ahead for the province. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.33.10.png

Edited by draztik
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Slight shift further east looking at Noaa now that I read it. This will bring more of the UK into the mix of course.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Aw KS87 bless you! 

If the wind cone shows consistent evidence during today that it extends to Dublin and 80 to 90 mph does become more certain, why not ask her to stay home tomorrow to ensure she stays safe? And you sane?

If she works for the emergency services or NHS that won't be possible as all hands will be needed to keep services working normally even away from the most impacted areas (they'll move human/equipment resources to where they think they'll be most needed - assume they work similar to our Gold/Silver Command).  If not, a day at home indoors will be the safest option and we all need a duvet day from time to time...

I've already messaged her to advise staying indoors, she lives in the middle of the countryside in Carlow meaning her house will be very exposed to the winds although I guess there's the saving grace that it won't be near any other houses for flying debris to be as much of an issue as in the middle of a major town or city, I'm not sure if her house has many trees around it either seems more like just open fields from the pictures I've seen.

Posted

Looks like the strongest winds will be in SE ireland tomorrow. Am very worried for family in Waterford (family in Limerick and Kerry are fairly used to stormy weather and are in sheltered locations). My brother lives on the side of a hill just outside Waterford facing south. Stay safe people.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Yellow warning of course still in place for Western UK, but NW Scotland has been removed and more of Central Scotland and Wales have been added. 

Posted

One thing I'm wondering about is whether the Pennines produce the lee wind effect. If they do that will increase the winds on the eastern side of England.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Just been out and weather proofed the garden, kids toys all in the garage, trampoline secured and football nets dismantled. I live more or less in the centre of Ulster so should escape the worst of the winds on the S/E coasts, however, I'm only 50 or so miles east of the projected path of the eye late Sunday evening so should get interesting. Really hope people round the country are paying attention to the warnings and avoid doing silly things. I've been flat out sending out weather updates on my Facebook profile, getting plenty of stick from my mates but worth it! 

Looking forward to an epic storm so long as everyone stays as safe as possible. Will try and stick up some YouTube links of footage tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Thanks to all the contributors here these past few days, I've picked up some really interesting stuff.

• Like 3

Posted

I really hope that forecast for the storm to change course in the bay of biscay from NE to NNE to come true, otherwise the thing is heading straight for the mainland UK

Posted
1 minute ago, Sperrin said:

Just been out and weather proofed the garden, kids toys all in the garage, trampoline secured and football nets dismantled. I live more or less in the centre of Ulster so should escape the worst of the winds on the S/E coasts, however, I'm only 50 or so miles east of the projected path of the eye late Sunday evening so should get interesting. Really hope people round the country are paying attention to the warnings and avoid doing silly things. I've been flat out sending out weather updates on my Facebook profile, getting plenty of stick from my mates but worth it! 

Looking forward to an epic storm so long as everyone stays as safe as possible. Will try and stick up some YouTube links of footage tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Thanks to all the contributors here these past few days, I've picked up some really interesting stuff.

They'll be thanking you for all the updates and warnings once the storm has passed, that's assuming they don't try anything foolish and put themselves in danger. I don't think enough people understand the severity of 100 mph gusts of wind, for most people the strongest winds they have ever experienced is probably only about 60 mph so I think a lot of people are going to be in for a shock when the violence of the winds start to prevail.

Posted

NetW-wx Hi rez in house model this morning.

viewimage-6.thumb.png.b870a459851a4ae20c6997343395b3b9.pngviewimage-7.thumb.png.1d3a90f03b1f484cb3f4c97a16e8e232.pngviewimage-5.thumb.png.fd662d7e911c5f5bedbf1b3656652825.png

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting they have the strong winds going mainly up the irish sea with ireland missing most of it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Ophelia has weakened this morning however the core is still tropical. With that being said the storm is now increasingly stretched (and now racing at 35mph) and on satellite you can see the development of the cold frontal boundary albeit it has no convection right now so it's definitely starting to become post-tropical albeit in the very early stage. 

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Wisemans Bridge is still looking like the best spot to watch this in South Wales to me. Strongest winds coincide with high tide almost perfectly. It is surprisingly hard to find someone who is up for going on a 500 mile round trip just to see some wind and big waves though, I don't particularly want to go alone.

It'd take a braver (or more stupid - your guess!) person than I to head to Wisemans Bridge with 15 ft waves forecast there... especially given possible track errors, and 30ft waves just around the corner. It's basically just a sea level car park, with a pub on it, and a tunneled walk through the cliffs to Saundersfoot.

59e332b68125c_ScreenShot2017-10-15at10_27_23.thumb.png.acb769bc9ec2f77a1f176d493a678812.png59e332b53d528_WisemansBridge.thumb.jpg.749a47f5843f35fb5079172c4bed4a1c.jpg59e332b4132b2_ScreenShot2017-10-15at10_58_19.thumb.png.86617c2eff4d1e088bc06216fe470660.png59e332b2a8900_heightscale.thumb.png.43cd842b86c4f366d0a5d2c62a6ee583.png

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Interesting they have the strong winds going mainly up the irish sea with ireland missing most of it.

As Ophelia becomes less symmetrical and loses its warm core the strongest winds will be found further away from the center. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Pit, Coastal areas in Wales seem to be worst affected going by that model.

Posted

Bill Giles quote on the evening of 15th October 1987 "Initially we thought that it was going to bring those strong winds right across the country but now it looks as though it is going to be very breezy but most of those strong winds will be up through the channel and on the Eastern side of the country"  >>  "Very breezy", you can say that again Bill lol :bomb::help::doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A screen shot of Othenia from an hour or so ago....in all her majesty!

othenia.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
11 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Yes, I keep thinking of the Isle of Man.  Looks a lively time to be there.