Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
43 minutes ago, Monty2k14 said:

91 mph at Isle of Man airport, pretty frightening winds now.

DMRosIRX4AA-ohB.jpg:large

Sounds like the IOM is every bit as bad as S Ireland was earlier.

Strange. My gut feeling is that Ireland has experienced something similar to our great storm of 1987, but why don't the numbers add up? Lots of official stations maxing at 60-70mph gusts. For the 1987 storm, I had an official gust of 96mph 4 miles from me - and that was 40 miles inland!

I can only think either the stations cut out at the worst moments (defo happened on s coast), or maybe just maybe it wasn't quite as bad as a red warning would suggest.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Strange. My gut feeling is that Ireland has experienced something similar to our great storm of 1987, but why don't the numbers add up? Lots of official stations maxing at 60-70mph gusts. For the 1987 storm, I had an official gust of 96mph 4 miles from me - and that was 40 miles inland!

I can only think either the stations cut out at the worst moments (defo happened on s coast), or maybe just maybe it wasn't quite as bad as a red warning would suggest.

Ex-Ophelia has had a max gust (last time I looked) at about 118 mph... compared to '87 having 115 mph.

'87 went down to 960mb, while Ex-Ophelia has recorded 959mb

Haven't seen a max mean wind for Ex-Ophelia yet, but in '87 it was 72.5mph (1dp)

The storms are of similar strength.

Edited by crimsone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Ex-Ophelia has had a max gust (last time I looked) at about 118 mph... compared to '87 having 115 mph.

Haven't seen a max mean wind for Ex-Ophelia yet, but in '87 it was 72.5mph (1dp)

The 1987 storm presumably affected far more people though, given the population densities of the area affected (specifically South East England which is of course the most populated region of the UK).

Posted
19 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Leeds recorded an official wind gust of 98mph in February 1990, with a max sustained speed of 63mph (well beyond the minimum threshold for tropical storm force winds). I was too young to remember that, but 60-70mph gusts don't strike me as exceptional. 

The highest gust here in Oct 1987 was only 42mph.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Wind really picking up here now. Lights flickering a bit now and then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Off topic so please remove if need be but inside out bbc 1 South is Michael fish the great storm on now..!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Wind starting to howl in prudhoe northumberland

Posted
11 minutes ago, crimsone said:

As I said, that's my gut feeling, but the gist you speak of was way offshore, the inshore gusts don't appear so high

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
15 minutes ago, crimsone said:

............not sure if the '87 storm had a twister though, unlike the one spotted today in Ireland!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I see Capel Curig matches Aberdaron for the max gust today in Wales at 90 mph

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Losung steam as it comes further north. In NW Ireland and just like every other winter storm. Or will it get worse? Not taking away from how severe it was elsewhere though. I'm by no means saying it's a non event!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If I'm lucky then as the wind backs it'll keep all the pesky leaves clear of my deck ( but not sycamore seeds!!) and leave bare trees by morning!!! * that'd be a months worth of clearing sorted in 1 night!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
31 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Right. Here's a prime example of what really annoys me. The BBC have a live page which is constantly updated. Down one side they have a summary. That summary mentions what's been happening in ROI and then we get this little gem. "Amber wind warnings are in place in Northern Ireland and in parts of Wales". No mention that parts of Scotland also have an amber warning. Anyone who looks to that live page for a quick summary will be misled. Thanks, English Broadcasting Corporation. Then again it's not as if the Met Office emphasised this until it was too late. They put out their amber warnings for parts of Wales and parts of Scotland AFTER the morning commute to work or school. I'm sorry to go on about this, but I'm really annoyed and seeing that BBC summary was the final straw.

Screenshot 2017-10-16 at 19.07.39.png

Its alright, The BBC at lunchtime barely mentioned Wales, Then BBC Wales came on, warned of dangerous conditions in North Wales, spoke to a reporter in Bangor who didnt even mention Pembrokeshire other the the fact the Cleddau bridge was close partially closed. And was far more interest in Ireland!  Typical BBC, we dont exist here in West Wales, Even BBC Radio Wales went on and on about the M4 delays didnt say anything about us and just said if you know of any other problems let us know!

Edited by Ukwoody
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

As I said, that's my gut feeling, but the gist you speak of was way offshore, the inshore gusts don't appear so high

Roches point recorded 90mph and Cork airport 89. Waterford was battered by high 70s gusts for several hours.  My family,who are pretty robust about bad weather, said it was as bad as 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather
33 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Right. Here's a prime example of what really annoys me. The BBC have a live page which is constantly updated. Down one side they have a summary. That summary mentions what's been happening in ROI and then we get this little gem. "Amber wind warnings are in place in Northern Ireland and in parts of Wales". No mention that parts of Scotland also have an amber warning. Anyone who looks to that live page for a quick summary will be misled. Thanks, English Broadcasting Corporation. Then again it's not as if the Met Office emphasised this until it was too late. They put out their amber warnings for parts of Wales and parts of Scotland AFTER the morning commute to work or school. I'm sorry to go on about this, but I'm really annoyed and seeing that BBC summary was the final straw.

Screenshot 2017-10-16 at 19.07.39.png

I totally agree and had made a comment last night about the Met re the same thing. :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Still amazing to see such a beautifully-formed Cat 3 hurricane so close to Spain and Portugal.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just to give some perspective in West Wales, My County of Pembrokeshire 692 properties without Power, Ceredigion 706 and Carmarthen 296.  Thats 1700 current properties. and 7000 across the Western Power Area in total.  They must have been busy!  

2017-10-16_195111.png

• Like 1