Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I must say that this morning was such a strange but amazing experience here in Cornwall. I left the house in Truro near 7.30am and was greeted to the warmest of winds. It really was like being in front of a hairdryer on a low function. It was about 20c and apparently some stations were near 22c in the early hours. Absurd temperatures (but most welcome!) for that time of the day and to be honest, warmer than a vast majority of day time maxes we get in Summer here!!! On my travels I was noticing how it was taking what seemed an age to lighten up. On my walk to work near Bodmin it was quite eerie as the clouds were low, moving fast and they had a greenish hue to them. The wind was starting to gust a fair bit too. It was quite dark throughout and it was so until about 9am when things started to brighten up. 

A particular memorable highlight this morning was the smell of the air which to me smelt like pine. It appears the smell was largely from the wildfires in Spain and Portugal. With everything else going on it was the most surreal but exciting experience. A truly tropical feeling spell of weather. All to brief as it has now cleared but a day I will remember for quite some time. 

I hope everyone else is safe. Take care. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 9

Posted
39 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Needed a red warning for N. Ireland and an Amber for coastal Wales last night rather than this morning. N. Ireland needed the red simply because the Irish border doesn't stop the weather and it seemed, frankly, odd... but I can accept that amber should have been warning enough given a comment about seriousness (though, what's the point of a red warning if you never use it?). It was reasonably clear that the Pembrokeshire coast at least was reasonably likely to take a battering today though.

I suspect it's not entirely the Met Offices fault though. Amber triggers contingency/emergency planning, and there seems to be a culture of disincentive in the UK when it comes to things like that.

Definitely didn't warrant a red warning, it's not much worse than storms we get every year IMO 

• Like 2

Posted

Inland gusts of 70mph+ expected here tonight wouldn’t be surprised to see gusts of 80mph too, real lack of of warnings up here barely any info on local weather yet alone national, now I understand the SE bias MET Office has.

4A7467B0-9785-400E-B313-BC34DCE27D3A.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
15 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Hahaha yep! I’ve had absolutely no signal which sucks! 

Glad your ok 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Must be near 70 now!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Still gusting up to about 35-40 here which I must admit is more than I expected. Out of what little I can make of the sunset, it still seems pretty dusty up there... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

The wind has started to proper howl around here now... Not quite sure how strong the gusts are, but I think it’s safe to say that it’s reaching its peak. 

Stay safe and enjoy everyone. :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Very very gusty now here east of the Pennines . Is this due to winds bouncing down creating stronger gusts ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
10 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Nothing like that here 40s maybe.

I haven't seen it like this since 2013 i think

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical and Convective Weather

I am hanging by the electrical thread here lights been flickering been battering north wales for 2-3 hours all is good here thus far. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
30 minutes ago, booferking said:

Getting worst gusts of the day now might be to do with location and wind direction but definitely strongest now.

100% agree, this past hour has seen a significant increase in wind speed in our area. Damage now being done to trees and next door neighbour's shed roof has partially blown off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, CatchMyDrift said:

I'd check the time and date on that chart, is it for tonight? Or is it dated for Wednesday the 18th? 

The chart is basically the 'accumulated' windspeed for a given number of hours...not the actual windspeeds at that time.

Posted

There we are 75mph recorded at st bees head.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Very strong gusts here now funnelling through the valley. Into the high 50s at a guess

Posted
11 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

That model tends to overestimate wind speeds, been there done it with it lol

Aperge has been very consistent and when it comes down to the line tends to very accurate, only moving to this part of the country recently I can’t say how it verifies here and would guess you know better. I have seen you posting here as long as I remember.