Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

So dark here even the street lights still on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

I'll make this my last one so as not to derail the thread but it wasn't the only mistake they made - they were calling it ex-tropical when the NHC still had it as a hurricane an hour later. In some jobs it is unacceptable to make mistakes e.g. accounting, air-traffic control. I think severe weather warnings come under the same category, people in this country rely on them to assess their safety, even to a life or death situation. It's not a simple mistake in this context.

I’m a qualified accountant and a human being-mistakes do happen occasionally no matter how hard you try not to. I don’t know a single person in my life in any field of work, professional or otherwise who hasn’t made a mistake at some point. I’m not always the biggest fan of the met office warnings etc but it’s not possible to be perfect- sod working for someone like you!

Edited by James1979
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, James1979 said:

I’m a qualified accountant and a human being-mistakes do happen occasionally no matter how hard you try noy to. I don’t know a single person in my life in any field of work, professional or otherwise who hasn’t made a mistake at some point. I’m not always the biggest fan of the met office warnings etc but it’s not possible to be perfect- sod working for someone like you!

Maybe the Met are going to prove me wrong anyway. That shift to the west reduces the threat to the West coast of Wales. If it doesn't gust above 75mph there, then I'll happily say good call. A few hours to go yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

We will have to wait for the analysis to see when it did truly change, the MO comment alluded to pieces of jigsaw not quite fitting across the Atlantic in communications. It was an unusual setup. So we can not assume one or other was right or wrong. Also has been a lot of shrieking about Ambers and Red warnings, again no-one will be mucking about with this. Weather is these peoples lives, they live and breathe it like some on the forums. Everyone wants this to go as well as it can. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Now the sun is up we can view Ophelia on the Sat24.com satellite: https://en.sat24.com/en

08.40 59e4640ec6621_OpheliaSatImage16Oct08_40.thumb.jpg.4905f238b13b181b3b67b97afecbbb1b.jpg

And another view, this water vapour satellite image from Iceland Met Meteosat-10: http://brunnur.vedur.is/myndir/seviri/2017/10/16/seviri_nat_wv_high.html

07.00 59e464175c0c7_Opheliaseviri_nat_wv_high_20171016_0700.thumb.png.a5ba70b344b5af2c1010b667d9e2f675.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The dark area on the WV Water vapour imagery is very dry stratospheric air, being drawn down and into ex-Ophelia

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

The dark area on the WV Water vapour imagery is very dry stratospheric air, being drawn down and into ex-Ophelia

Wow, just.....wow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Weather Co Europe‏ have the top UK gust at 77mph in the Isles of Scilly with the met office say it is 61mph in the same location

Slight difference between the two for the same place...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Amber warning now stretches into west wales

2A796A4E-2A79-4C15-A046-5033FB1886F0.thumb.png.c416ef02f175f03f837e8f02dac9df69.png

I’m right on the edge of that where I’m going 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

I;ve just finished writing the morning up date :nonono:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Amber warning now stretches into west wales

And into Scotland... which is just perfick. Hubby left for work just over an hour ago. Luckily son is off school because it's the October week, otherwise he'd be out already as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Pressure 993mb, outside temp 11.9c, outside humidity 95%. Wind picking up, clouds coming from north east, racing along, ominous black clouds to the south.

Posted

Just done the walk to school with the youngest, it's very eerie out there this morning even over here on the east.

Normally the place would be alive with birdsong and seagulls, but near enough nothing. The closest I can compare it to is the final 30 minutes before an eclipse. And the warm breeze, really strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny

Currently in Bangor, North Wales. Temperature has just increased 9C in around 30 minutes! Wind picking up too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Wind's really picking up in West Malvern, very warm and muggy feel, 16.4 C currently. Quite a yellowish tinge to the sky, cascades of leaves falling off the sycamores with every gust, and we are a long way east of the action.

Edit west to east! 

Edited by Barbmac