Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Latest image from Naval Research Laboratory. Certainly lost its eye although convection to its west and north is massive.

20171015.2030.msg3.x.ir1km_bw.17LOPHELIA

• Like 1

Posted

The ten o’clock BBC news gave Ophelia approximately 30 seconds coverage. The next item, a tennis tournament got longer coverage.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

As I pointed out earlier, the NHC have always maintained Ophelia is still a hurricane even after the 21Z update, so don’t really understand why met office were tweeting that it wasn’t any more. I’m inclined to think the NHC know what they’re talking about here. Question is, can Ophelia possibly survive as tropical untill landfall? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
12 minutes ago, draztik said:

London & the South East will see a mini-heatwave....

Nothing to see here.

(assured, if this was about to impact the capital, it would be the BBC's main story)

Sadly that is the SE centred BBC all over.  Unless it is London or Kent they are just not interested

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, coldfingers1 said:

Thank you for the reassurance. Problem is that since that dreadful night in '87 (I had to move my baby into our bedroom as the winds looked likely to blow the chimney down into the room where her cot was!) I have always be a little scared of severe storm warnings. Wow that baby is 31 now! Why I am scared of warnings I don't know as the last forecast I heard that day was 'light winds'. If I had heard a severe weather warning maybe I wouldn't have been so scared now. That night I lost total trust in forecasters and sadly it sticks!

Still a big hug for you :friends:I hate wind weather storms at night, I can't sleep but hopefully the worst of this one will be gone by the time we go to bed. Ex-Ophelia will be a real "gfuqhgfpjh" I can see, but my thoughts go out to those in it's path in Ireland. No sleep for them, Just think of her as a real gfuqhgfpjh we can still see in daylight and no matter what she throws at us we can still see what's happening. I don't think you're fear will ever go way but you can see what happening with this one and it didn't get any worse..  remember that...  Goodness me, fear of a storm can be so overwhelming. I must be getting old because I now choose to face her "head on" and I like to see what she's going to throw at us next.. I'm off down the beach, mad - most definitely , will I survive - most probably, You don't have to just trust in forecasters anymore we have sooooo many helpful folk that are willing to share what they know on social media, I can honestly say I've hardly looked at an official forecast since this all started... 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

As I pointed out earlier, the NHC have always maintained Ophelia is still a hurricane even after the 21Z update, so don’t really understand why met office were tweeting that it wasn’t any more. I’m inclined to think the NHC know what they’re talking about here. Question is, can Ophelia possibly survive as tropical untill landfall? 

No

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 minute ago, tom_f123 said:

No

Correct 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Was it vince that hit the canaries ?

Your close but i cant remember a hurricane hitting the canaries

however vince did come close to maderia before making landfall as a tropical depression sorry should added that in my last mention

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

More coverage than that on the local radio station here earlier and it's not expected to affect us. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

I think it's largely irrelevant whether the Met Office go amber or red now. The main thing is that all news channels have covered the approach of Ophelia very well so pretty much everyone knows it's coming  (certainly the talk of my family today and we're in south East England). 

Heck no! 1 minute of coverage on 10pm BBC News you bet your bottom dollar if the SE was impacted they'd be all over it - probably from the alarmist Sun? However, in this scenario the typical hyperbole may not be far from the truth for some. 

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

DMNVugBWsAInW_L.jpg

I see that The Weather Network have helpfully provided a graphic of everywhere in Ireland that the Met Office has failed to provide appropriate warning, as shaded in Green.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Kaii said:

Your close but i cant remember a hurricane hitting the canaries

however vince did come close to maderia before making landfall as a tropical depression sorry should added that in my last mention

Wasn't shure but the finger of god Sea stack was destroyed that year of the coast of Tenerife 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ukwoody said:

Sadly that is the SE centred BBC all over.  Unless it is London or Kent they are just not interested

In fairness Surrey and Berkshire as well. Essex less so.:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

If the Met Office do decide to upgrade warnings overnight/tomorrow morning, it'll be too late to be communicated to people in a timely manner to make any difference. Yet if there is serious damage, they can then say "we warned about it" without being criticised.

I can't imagine their job is easy when the warnings are linked to local authority action (and therefore money), but it seems like this is the easier option for them, in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

even though its still an hurricane... just, you could imaging stuff like the weather channel doing counting coverage of this over there in the united states but the fact it only got barley a minute or two mention over hear in my eyes the strongest storm for a few good years and kudos for Ireland getting the warning out early

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 minute ago, wrightc23 said:

In fairness Surrey and Berkshire as well. Essex less so.:D

I think Hertfordshire would also merit a mention as would Bucks and Oxon...the rest is the provinces where the prolls and savages live...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Oh well, off to bed now. Bit like lampost watching for the snow this is,LOL. G'night all see what tomorrow brings

• Like 2

Posted

Latest gfs for Monday night. North west Wales taking a hammering. In fact  over the border to West Midlands  the north and north west England experiencing quite high gusts 

IMG_0991.GIF