Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Amazes me that if a hurricane was only hours away from somewhere in the states our news would be showing people boarding up properties and roads full of cars trying to evacuate.

one is knocking our the door of our islands and it's considered far less important than the antics of some perv film producer and the expected rise in food prices when we leave the EU.

I just hope that we don't regret the low profile the authorities and media seem to be giving this event although in 36 hours we'll know.

maybe they've left it for the nations and regions to deal with?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
Just now, Jo Farrow said:

maybe they've left it for the nations and regions to deal with?? 

Sorry Jo, I'm not talking about the US news, it's our good old BBC that don't seem to want big it up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

E033500A-FC64-468B-BD2C-990596DD9AF1.thumb.jpeg.86da92a5b25e7bf079a6ec4c7195a9d9.jpeg

Posted
Just now, draztik said:

London & the South East will see a mini-heatwave....

Nothing to see here.

(assured, if this was about to impact the capital, it would be the BBC's main story)

What astounds me is that England never learns, they are shambolic at preparation, just look at the 80's Nuclear Information Flims... I mean leaning tables to the wall and plopping cushions all over it....

• Like 3

Posted

Amazes me that if a hurricane was only hours away from somewhere in the states our news would be showing people boarding up properties and roads full of cars trying to evacuate.

one is knocking our the door of our islands and it's considered far less important than the antics of some perv film producer and the expected rise in food prices when we leave the EU.

I just hope that we don't regret the low profile the authorities and media seem to be giving this event although in 36 hours we'll know.

Even if Ophelia was just a typical Atlantic-low, there should still be a obligation-of-duty by the media to distribute as much professional advice, warnings, forecast they are given. I can kind of understand the 'stiff British-upper lip' but nonethless the media in the UK have downplayed ex-Ophelia as simply being nothing more than a windy-day. Even though the NHC have specifically stated on their latest public-advisory "Preparations to protect lives and property should be nearing completion."

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
33 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

oh #27  NHC says still a hurricane

Probably the first time in history that an NHC forecaster mentions hurricane and Scandinavia in a tropical discussion!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT2+shtml/152042.shtml?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Sorry Jo, I'm not talking about the US news, it's our good old BBC that don't seem to want big it up.

that's what I meant, hedged their bets 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Has a hurricane ever made landfall in Iberia? it makes me think in the future this may be possible. 

BA185DDD-0EFC-455D-8146-38924DDC0F39.thumb.jpeg.f1492a8d497a29157d0153b9e07916ef.jpeg

Yes I'm sure one did, the name escapes me though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 minutes ago, Jen Beachcomber said:

That's a bleeding shame, does no-one broadcast from the Narberth office anymore Ukwoody ?!  I used to love listening to the snow forecasts during 2010... "Hello this is Joyce here I just wanted to let you know we have about 1" in Charles Street" ... "Hello this is Sharon here I just wanted to let you know it's snowing on the A40 between Narberth and Caneston Bridge the cars are sliding down the hill"  "This is Jane here and there are cars struggling to get up the road between Pembroke and Pembroke Dock, it's chaos cos nobody can get up the hill, just wanted to let you know" it was brilliant and you knew just what was happening in the county...  It would be a real shame if this didn't happen anymore... 

Narberth is just a sales office now, with a spare studio (that Jim uses occasionally I believe). I tried to report an accident about 6 weeks back and the presenter wasn't interested and didn't know the A477 by Lewis Vauxhall garage was a main rd...  asked me if it got much traffic there... sigh.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Hurricane Vince landed in Spain as a TD, Gordon came close as a Hurricane in 2006

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
17 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

It will be interesting to do a really good analysis on Ophelia after all is over. I think it could be seen to be a double transition, full tropical hurricane over 26°c+ water. Then into a rare "medicane" type hybrid drawing energy from the trough and in low shear/favourable environment for that type of tropical system and able to sustain strength over cooler waters. And lastly to a post/extra tropical.

sounds like Day after Tomorrow type stuff!! this is what? one in 100+ years scenario?

• Like 1

Posted

Not even a two minutes of coverage on the 10 O'clock news... and not even a mention of Wales. Wow. Just Wow. Some serious questions will have to be answered at the end of this...

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, Dean E said:

Hurricane Vince landed in Spain as a TD, Gordon came close as a Hurricane in 2006

Hah! Snap!

I remember of lovely and warm it was in Porthcawl while watching the waves Gordon caused. It was great!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

That of course is you prerogative but I fail to see why you, and others, are in a better position to make that assessment. And you may not be questioning their expertise, but you are questioning their professionalism and judgement

Guilty

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
2 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

it was Hurricane Vince in 2005 made landfall in near the spainsh and portugal border

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

I think it's largely irrelevant whether the Met Office go amber or red now. The main thing is that all news channels have covered the approach of Ophelia very well so pretty much everyone knows it's coming  (certainly the talk of my family today and we're in south East England).