Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

1 minute ago, knocker said:

That of course is you prerogative but I fail to see why you, and others, are in a better position to make that assessment.

Are you putting plywood   Up at your Windows knocker ? , obviously not for the storm but a safety measure against all the members on here that you seem to upset  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
18 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Still looks like a baseball bat ready to clobber the British isles :rofl:

And Ophelia's on the end of it,so don't mess with her:nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd rather be over-warned than under-warned. I was out at the shopping centre today. Not a single shop assistant knew what was coming our way tomorrow night. Neither did the friends I bumped into. Earlier in this thread someone said"It's only a yellow so nothing to be concerned about" or words to that effect. I'm not dissing on those who don't know about it or those who think a yellow is nothing to be concerned about. I think there's confusion about what is meant by impact. Joe Public think it means the strength of the system and the potential to cause damage and refers to the storm itself, not realising that impact seems to refer to the number of people affected and the monetary damage overall. The wee isolated village in the back of beyond will never qualify for a red if that's the case. Maybe I'm becoming too cynical in my old age.

Problem is, there's basically 4 different kinds of yellow warning, some of which need to be considered really quite seriously.

Posted
15 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

Things being shut down in Ireland left r

Schools, colleges, courts all closed. Public advised to not go out, stay indoors. i.e don't go to work.

My aunt's in the civil guard. Martial law is being considered  (She's in the west)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
13 minutes ago, coldfingers1 said:

Hi Polar Bear, I agree, really worrying. I also have relatives in Pembroke dock area with a small baby, I really hope they will be OK. High chance of power cuts at very least.

Cold fingers! Hello. Hope too your friends ok and I wish them safe n well. On an equine forum someone in Ireland today was asking about whether to keep the horses stable too door open as she was on her own and recovering from surgery. The stable was right next to some trees. This was this morning and at that time I did say maybe considering moving her to a larger group of sturdy stables livery. I hope they stay safe too. I don’t think  they realised the seriousness of the alerts and storm.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

UKV has gusts touching 110mph in southern Ireland, incredible.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ophelia is on the zoomed in sat24 now:)

https://en.sat24.com/en/fr/infraPolair

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Maybe it is shift change time at the Met Office. you would imagine that BBC weather centre, still currently taking Met Office briefings, would want any changes to warning levels for the 10pm news . If it's not on that (only 20 mins long) kinda missed it.

Amber is still a severe weather warning. NHC say it will be post tropical/ extra tropical by midnight, they can see alot more than me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Speechless... :help:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Cold fingers! Hello. Hope too your friends ok and I wish them safe n well. On an equine forum someone in Ireland today was asking about whether to keep the horses stable too door open as she was on her own and recovering from surgery. The stable was right next to some trees. This was this morning and at that time I did say maybe considering moving her to a larger group of sturdy stables livery. I hope they stay safe too. I don’t think  they realised the seriousness of the alerts and storm.. 

I'd strongly advise leaving them out. Horses panic easily and will likely injure themselves if kept in a barn or stable. Horses are very good at seeking shelter and will be at a less risk if allowed to roam in a field. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, Jo Farrow said:

Maybe it is shift change time at the Met Office. you would imagine that BBC weather centre, still currently taking Met Office briefings, would want any changes to warning levels for the 10pm news . If it's not on that (only 20 mins long) kinda missed it.

Amber is still a severe weather warning. NHC say it will be post tropical/ extra tropical by midnight, they can see alot more than me

In other words extratropical transition has yet to be completed?:shok:

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Charmayne said:

I'd strongly advise leaving them out. Horses panic easily and will likely injure themselves if kept in a barn or stable. Horses are very good at seeking shelter and will be at a less risk if allowed to roam in a field. 

Yep agreed .. although this one has had leg surgery and is on box rest.. tough call. 

Posted
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

In other words extratropical transition has yet to be completed?:shok:

Met Office said 50mins ago that Ophelia was an ex-hurricane

• Like 1

Posted

i just checked the ais shipping tracker and the sw uk is looking more like a festival carpark .. so id take it  that the shipping companys are pulling their vessels in to shelter real quick ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That is bad!!! Remember them almost reaching that on South Coast in Great Storm of '87. A horrendous night! This could be a disaster as it comes when people are up and about not during the night as I experienced. Please everyone, be sensible and stay safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves and anything extreme

The mean wind speed on met office doesn't get NI above 29mph, this was issued at 7pm.....anyone else find that unusually low, could be why the haven't issued red warnings.

Posted

Related to the hurricane, I have a report from a non-meteorological forum on which I post meteorological info. of an electrical storm over mid-Cornwall.  Presumably, this is part of the convective structure establishing itself?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, J-Man said:

The mean wind speed on met office doesn't get NI above 29mph, this was issued at 7pm.....anyone else find that unusually low, could be why the haven't issued red warnings.

?

This is Newtownards in the East of Province, where my family is located. Mean wind a lot higher than 29mph.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 21.37.48.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Met Office said 50mins ago that Ophelia was an ex-hurricane

Thanks Jo.  Can I safely report this elsewhere?

1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Related to the hurricane, I have a report from a non-meteorological forum on which I post meteorological info. of an electrical storm over mid-Cornwall.  Presumably, this is part of the convective structure establishing itself?

There is forward instability ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Hurricane force winds but not officially a Hurricane now

• Like 1

Posted

I just had a call from my dad.  He lives mainly off grid outside of Waterford and relies on the papers for his news.  Useless in this scenario.  My brother has left his house in the Suir valley  to hole up but they're in a really rubbish area in terms of comms. Most homes in the area are built S /E facing to protect from prevailing Ws.With the wind coming from S/SE this is new territory

Posted

It was a tweet @metoffice . The lightning is just elevated instability ahead of Ophelia

• Like 2