Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 minute ago, Paul said:

It is, you're misreading the graphic, the H on a white background is an ex-hurricane but with hurricane force winds still within it. 

145012_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Sorry I just meant the NHC‘s latest  discussion still has it as a tropical cyclone,  but obviously  this could well change with the 21Z update. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
9 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

"Over 80mph" surely this is amber now? 

Well I said that this morning:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Whatever happens over the next couple of days, i hope everyone stays safe and well :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Some schools in the East County Down coastal areas taking unilateral decision to close tomorrow, in light of forecast gusts of 74mph by Met Office. Just off the phone to a school governor of one, they were highly critical of the lack of official guidance from Northern Ireland Department of Education.

Edited by snatter

Posted

Things being shut down in Ireland left right and center.

Schools, colleges, courts all closed. Public advised to not go out, stay indoors. i.e don't go to work.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The ROI is under status red from 06:00 to 23:59 tomorrow

Northern Ireland are under an amber warning from 3pm to 10pm and 12:00 to 23:55 for the yellow warning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I recall Monday 12th Feb 2014. The 00Z models were screaming for a red warning for S Wales. They only gave one at 10am. By which time everyone was at school/work, so too late! 

I just hope they aren't going the same way this time.

I don't question their expertise, but I have questioned their assessment of risk, and unfortunately I'm doing it again now. Why take the risk?

Whilst I do agree with you, really they are on a hiding to nothing.  If they issue one and nothing really happens (like with say, snow) then Joe Public gets peed off and takes less and less notice of them.  If they issue one too late people moan they werent told.  The other thing to bear in mind is that as soon as it goes Amber, HUGE forces of emergency plans are put into operation with Millionss of pounds worth of manpower being put on standy by.  If they then get it wrong people want their blood!  I worked on an LNG gas plant for a while. An Amber alert would mean partial shutdown, maintenance stopped etc etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

it will be intresting to see if the met office does give out red warnings for northern ireland and i wouldnt be surprised if central scotland with the two biggest citys in the country at risk of storm force winds on tuseday morning if its changed forcast wise please tell me if am wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Cold weather.

STATUS RED WARNING now covers every Irish county, people really lost their temper when they seen schools closing in just the south east, south and west of the country. I think irish weather service and government just did not want to leave an orange alert system in place in case a life was lost in one of those counties, would not have looked a good image. Just a case of covering their backsides at this stage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Screw it. I'm heading to Manorbier Beach, I don't want to miss this one!

I’d recommend Newgale too, can park on hill high up. Always great for a storm! 

Mind you probably wouldn’t recommend anywhere tomorrow looking at latest forecast!

Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves and anything extreme

As some of you will know there is potential for another wind event next weekend, currently forecast through the channel.  How much warning, coverage will this receive from met and msm? More than Ophelia you can guarantee that due to a risk to the south east.  

Directly on Ophelia and the BBC maps above I think those gust forecasts are conservative, we'll see 90-100 mph widespread through those areas.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Extremely worrying. Really am praying for Ireland now. 

Hi Polar Bear, I agree, really worrying. I also have relatives in Pembroke dock area with a small baby, I really hope they will be OK. High chance of power cuts at very least.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Get your ass to Holyhead! Looks like the Bullseye for NW Wales!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

What time are you planning to start driving that way?

Posted

Ha!! Hope you have a good journey...

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I recall Monday 12th Feb 2014. The 00Z models were screaming for a red warning for S Wales. They only gave one at 10am. By which time everyone was at school/work, so too late! 

I don't question their expertise, but I have questioned their assessment of risk, and unfortunately I'm doing it again now. Why take the risk?

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd rather be over-warned than under-warned. I was out at the shopping centre today. Not a single shop assistant knew what was coming our way tomorrow night. Neither did the friends I bumped into. Earlier in this thread someone said"It's only a yellow so nothing to be concerned about" or words to that effect. I'm not dissing on those who don't know about it or those who think a yellow is nothing to be concerned about. I think there's confusion about what is meant by impact. Joe Public think it means the strength of the system and the potential to cause damage and refers to the storm itself, not realising that impact seems to refer to the number of people affected and the monetary damage overall. The wee isolated village in the back of beyond will never qualify for a red if that's the case. Maybe I'm becoming too cynical in my old age.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, TheToastPeople said:

What time are you planning to start driving that way?

Probably in a couple of hours. I know it's going to be a longg wait until the worst hits but I'll avoid traffic.

Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Get your ass to Holyhead! Looks like the Bullseye for NW Wales!

I would but I'm mainly going for the rough seas etc.. High tide at Manorbier Beach perfectly coincides with the strongest winds and largest surf.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather
1 hour ago, crimsone said:

They mean there's lots of dry air around (the chart with the brown), it's a very deep depression (the chart with the lines), It's going to be really quite windy (the chart with the read streak), but it's not going to be especially wet considering it was a Cat 3 hurricane not long ago (the charts with the green and yellow)

I sometimes take a very simplistic view :p

No... seriously. @knocker usefully told you what they meant - I figured I'd offer a brief, if simplistic, description of what they are.

:good:

Posted
30 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

That of course is you prerogative but I fail to see why you, and others, are in a better position to make that assessment. And you may not be questioning their expertise, but you are questioning their professionalism and judgement

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, snatter said:

Some schools in the East County Down coastal areas taking unilateral decision to close tomorrow, in light of forecast gusts of 74mph by Met Office. Just off the phone to a school governor of one, they were highly critical of the lack of official guidance from Northern Ireland Department of Education.

Bonkers.  Southern Ireland have issued a mandatory notice of school closures. How can the border insulate NI from Ophelia' s wrath?

• Like 2