Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
3 minutes ago, nicktabs said:

Same thing just happened to Irma too. She got ended up made landfall on Cuba coast then west side of Florida.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

"A lady phoned in earlier and asked if there was a hurricane on the way, well if you're watching don't worry, there isn't"

30 years later

The met office are leaving it decidedly late to do something. The whole of Ireland is now under a red warning, Satellite imagery shows the storm is a little further East than expected. It's around this time people start switching off and almost thinking about going to bed. The Met Office have been so poor with the updates of this storm. The NHC has given far better information.

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, draztik said:

Yes, in Ireland. Is it the same for Met Office designated red zones?

Just don't take the risk. We have all seen how conservative that MetOffice have been with their forecasts, when we know that something very very serious is on it's way. School open or not, stay indoors.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

It's down to interpretation,from first hand I can say a  severe Northern European windstorm will rival any cat 2 hurricane maybe even a 3 .

Completely agree on the comparison, but I'd strongly argue that upon extratropical transition, ex-ophelia is a rather nasty Northern European Windstorm... just one that was originally named as a hurricane.

The idea that we have to call something a hurricane before we're worried that it might be a problem is a rather silly and dangerous one, but there are a great many that hold to it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I think we will see orange going red in NI and western wales going amber. Surely?

93E2F2F4-FD6A-47B9-B1F8-B6864DEC5867.thumb.png.bb8a7cd989c922bff19ebb261037a75a.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Really concerned about the rainfall totals, Im in county Galway, and predictions for 50mm plus falling on already saturated ground ladened with leaves blocking drains. A recipe for disaster.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

"Over 80mph" surely this is amber now? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, RichmondWeather said:

Just don't take the risk. We have all seen how conservative that MetOffice have been with their forecasts, when we know that something very very serious is on it's way. School open or not, stay indoors.

I find it very odd that you, and others, think that the professional forecasters are not as aware of the situation as the 'experts' on here.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Not according to the NHC it’s not, yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Into the 70’s where I will be then. At 850 ft above sea Level, maybe a tough stronger? Not sure if 850 will make a lot of difference or not? 

Posted

just finished the last bbq of the year ..and the outside temps are barmy ..been in a teeshirt and shorts allday ..been keeping an eye on this thread and it looks like its going to be a red letter event ..please all in its path keep safe and check on those who are not able please........right anyone want a sasuage or bacon or a porkchop i have loads left lolol

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Not according to the NHC it’s not, yet. 

It is, you're misreading the graphic, the H on a white background is an ex-hurricane but with hurricane force winds still within it. 

145012_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone else having scrolling issues? Driving me insane, can’t read a post without it skipping constantly :wallbash:

Posted

could she go a bit  more east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Anyone else having scrolling issues? Driving me insane, can’t read a post without it skipping constantly :wallbash:

No.  Perhaps try CTRL+F5 to clear your cache?

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

I find it very odd that you, and others, think that the professional forecasters are not as aware of the situation as the 'experts' on here.

I recall Monday 12th Feb 2014. The 00Z models were screaming for a red warning for S Wales. They only gave one at 10am. By which time everyone was at school/work, so too late! 

I just hope they aren't going the same way this time.

I don't question their expertise, but I have questioned their assessment of risk, and unfortunately I'm doing it again now. Why take the risk?

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
6 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Maybe not a once in a fifty year event. Climate Change is happening. :(

Dear Oh Dear, to blame everthing on So Called "Climate Change" is completely absurd. These storms have popped up over generations some of them never recorded some have been. Now what has changed is the rapid growth in human population , and with so many more people living ,breathing ,driving there cars ,trucks around , modern technology IE  Tele, Internet and Mobile phones, has given us a "Nanny State" whilst previous generations have endured and survived such storms:)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
19 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

'This is not the remnants of a hurricane, this IS a hurricane' - Red weather warning extended nationwide as Hurricane Ophelia barrels in

Red weather warning nationwide

Forecaster Evelyn Cusack: Weather event almost unprecedented for this country

Aer Lingus cancel over 50 flights

All schools and colleges to close

Schools told to close, and ESB on alert with winds of more than 130km/h expected Monday

Army on standby over fears storm damage could paralyse communities

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/this-is-not-the-remnants-of-a-hurricane-this-is-a-hurricane-red-weather-warning-extended-nationwide-as-hurricane-ophelia-barrels-in-36228710.html

Extremely worrying. Really am praying for Ireland now. 

• Like 1