Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
39 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Flocks of sparrows, tits and even a blackbird coming to check out the fuss, all arrived at my bird feeder which has been practically inactive for the past few weeks! Birds must be able to sense a storm long before we'd ever see it for our own eyes.

Funny you say that... a flock of geese flew over going north, as to a flutter of sparrows...in about the same half hour. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

How long before #prayforireland appears on twitter, if not already?!:nea:

EDIT: Already there https://twitter.com/search?q=%23prayforireland&src=tyah

:nonono:

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted
1 minute ago, crimsone said:

She's not dead yet!

Also... a lot.

NickL posted some info earlier.

Wave heights around the pembrokeshire coast will be in the region of 10/15 to 28 ft, depending on where you are.

... though that was before the track adjustment.

I shall be watching with interest the track over the next 12hrs.

"magic seaweed"  put them at around 16-24ft for Freshwater West tomorrow afternoon, combined with a fairly small high tide which will come up approx 20ft from the back of the beach, I am absolutely intrigued to see how much impact the surge will have. 

I have been studying and beachcombing (beach cleaning) this beach since Jan2014 and trying to see where 'stuff' that gets 'washed up' comes from.  

Because of it's location It gets anything and everything washed up from the sea, from all over the world. 

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Jen Beachcomber said:

Agreed, The last time I saw the tide reach the back of Freshwater West beach was Dec15. The winds were about the same as forecast tomorrow but nowhere near as much surge. I am interested to see how much surge Ex-Ophelia has been pushing in front of her. No one is talking about it ? 

It's wild at Fresh at the best of times, so take care!!

Good question... also will the low pressure equal a sea-level 'bulge'?

Whilst I love a good storm, I hope there's no injuries.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
51 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Flocks of sparrows, tits and even a blackbird coming to check out the fuss, all arrived at my bird feeder which has been practically inactive for the past few weeks! Birds must be able to sense a storm long before we'd ever see it for our own eyes.

8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Funny you say that... a flock of geese flew over going north, as to a flutter of sparrows...in about the same half hour. 

Actually it is interesting as when I got out of my van about 15 mins ago, there were literally approximately 200 Crows landing on the sheltered side of the roof to the flats where I live. Never ever seen so many here before. Blooming Racket too LOL.  So yes I do wonder if they are sensing something.

Edited by Ukwoody
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
4 minutes ago, Ukwoody said:

Actually it is interesting as when I got out of my van about 15 mins ago, there were literally approximately 200 Crows landing on the sheltered side of the roof to the flats where I live. Never ever seen so many here before. Blooming Racket too LOL.  So yes I do wonder if they are sensing something.

Changes in air pressure maybe? 

Posted
6 minutes ago, benb said:

It's wild at Fresh at the best of times, so take care!!

Good question... also will the low pressure equal a sea-level 'bulge'?

Whilst I love a good storm, I hope there's no injuries.

Thanks I will :) I love nothing more than a 'mooch' along Freshwest when it blowing 40mph gusts, I always think I'll be the only 'mad bugger' out there... lol... 

Indeed will it get a 'bulge' I'm fascinated to see. I shall be approaching from Castlemartin side it's much higher. I could go the Angle way and park in the small car park but I know the sand blowing off the dunes will be 'stinging'  and it's likely that the road between there and the main carpark 'could' either be inundated from the surge or full of sand. 

I'm avoiding the main carpark as that's only approx 15-20ft higher than the beach and flat so 'could' in theory flood. 

Lets see what the predictions over the next 12hrs are??? It could be very interesting. 

Also you take care in Tenby although I know you are used to inclement weather as well, the harbour could be very interesting tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm sure we all have a healthy sense of peril? not just the 'mules'? We hear tales of elephants avoiding tsunamis and pets evacuating earthquake areas prior to the event....

Listen to your 'he be jee bee's' !!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.
13 minutes ago, Ukwoody said:

Just like in 'The Birds'! 

Animals and birds are super-sensitive to these things, apparently it might be because of infra-sound, or air pressure changes. Interesting article in the Guardian some years back, in that case it was tornadoes, but still from a huge distance away.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/dec/18/birds-storm-infrasound-warblers

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, orcacrew said:

12’s in the shipping forecast!

EDD848C3-B98C-40E2-B747-56D975DC9A34.png

That's got Lundy in it, too! Fascinating 24hrs coming up...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Should be some fairly impressive pressure drops on weather stations across sw Ireland over the next 18 hours

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Okay so I'm not going down to Freshwest/Wisemans bridge now, I couldn't convince anyone to come with me and I don't fancy a 500 mile round trip on my own. If anyone does manage to get down there, please post some pictures/videos so I can see what I missed out on.

I'll be watching this one from way over here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

Hot on the heels of Ophelia, southern uk has this to look forward to :help:

982649EE-B467-4F57-A4A2-5ADBFA985BA0.thumb.png.0b00c034dd2bc3e152c09089630f1e60.pngB6A39C73-2F2A-4664-B0AD-3EEB4774F93C.thumb.png.40069465664e62c80187ca81c3625f87.png

I really hope them charts comes off. Getting fed with benign rubbish weather.

Im not Gona lie, I've  been feeling pretty put out that here in the far south and east Kent we are missing all the potential Ophelia action... im still hoping shes going to keeping nudging her way east...

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Barbmac said:

Animals and birds are super-sensitive to these things, apparently it might be because of infra-sound, or air pressure changes. Interesting article in the Guardian some years back, in that case it was tornadoes, but still from a huge distance away.

Im super sensitive to pressure change. I get terrible headaches pre storm. I must've been a crow in a previous life

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

Okay so I'm not going down to Freshwest/Wisemans bridge now, I couldn't convince anyone to come with me and I don't fancy a 500 mile round trip on my own. If anyone does manage to get down there, please post some pictures/videos so I can see what I missed out on.

I'll be watching this one from way over here.

Don't blame you: it is a bloody long way... storm after this one lokks like it might have more local interest for you!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Is it just me, or is Ophelia taking a slightly more Eastwards path than predicted? I have been watching the satellite: http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html  plus the NOAA forecasts: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?cone#contents and the track of the storm seems to be approaching much closer to the Bay of Biscay than forecast models and the NOAA prediction suggested, or am I imagining this?!?

Edited by Sno' problem
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Barbmac said:

When I was a young boy I was staying with my nan and my parents were involved in a quite bad car crash, they had a lucky escape and I still remember vividly feeling incredibly unsettled the feeling was incomparable, all of a sudden. I'm not sure what came over me, moments later a phone call telling of what happen. Spooky!

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Should be some fairly impressive pressure drops on weather stations across sw Ireland over the next 18 hours

I am thinking more an interesting 12z sounding from Valentia.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Current path takes the eye directly over Dublin ,computer screen and ruler method :rofl:

That was exactly the method I was using, but looking at the predicted path, the actual path has gone distinctly Eastwards, rather than the more NE path the NOAA and the models have forecast.

• Like 2