Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Good point Crimsone about not much people in Swansea can do to prepare but in case of power cuts I was thinking about grabbing some batteries, candles etc and in my case clearing their balconies of random stuff to prevent the stuff flying around and pelting windows and people lol

I would love it if the DVLA building was taken out-give them an excuse to put something nicer there instead of that monstrosity!! ;-) 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Given this time of year you'd be expecting a icy-cold windchill factor associated with regular-Atlantic lows, these gales however will be extratropical in nature and feeling more like being face-first into a hairdryer on low-settings.

I don't know about that once the cold front is through

gfs_t850a_natl_6.thumb.png.58a1200177596ceb89a41222351137b2.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, WelshWanderer said:

Good point Crimsone about not much people in Swansea can do to prepare but in case of power cuts I was thinking about grabbing some batteries, candles etc and in my case clearing their balconies of random stuff to prevent the stuff flying around and pelting windows and people lol

I would love it if the DVLA building was taken out-give them an excuse to put something nicer there instead of that monstrosity!! ;-) 

Copperopolis would burn down if everyone bought candles. I don't think people know how to use them safely anymore. It'll be like a Great Fire of Swansea.

On the plus side, that'd give the council a chance to try again, mind. They can start by not having bendy buses and re-opening the kingsway. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
4 minutes ago, WelshWanderer said:

Just to calm you down a bit, the models are not predicting 70/80 mph gusts in Swansea. Unless you live up on Mumbles Head then gusts will probably stay down at 60/65 max. Obviously any slight east deviation to the track would bring the risk of higher gusts of >70mph.

• Like 2

Posted

She is currently showing on 30 min sat 24 updates as she approaches. 

Latest shots indicate the eye still intact and very tropical. Although the outer edges are probably starting to experience frontal change. 

IMG_1393.PNG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WelshWanderer said:

I'm lucky enough to have a generator,as my power  supply's on overhead lines 

Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, crimsone said:

A yachting friend of mine has just posted a comment with a portion of the shipping forecast on my facebook. It's a pretty rare one to hear, and it goes like this...

It's not unheard of believe it or not. The seas can be phenomenal during winter storms . The Irish sea is an absolute barsteward.I take it transport has been suspended tomorrow so ferries are probably extra busy today making the most of the calm before the storm.  I've been across in a F9/10 and I thought I was going to die and this was on a mahoosive ferry.

• Like 1

Posted

Ophelia's inflow is evident on AVN pulling in moisture off the Portugal coast. The structure however is drastically different from some 18hr ago.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/17L/html5-avn-short.html

Untitled.thumb.jpg.bf259b8cad84a53128a4982236ca4910.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.1f9b74cc8b9a046a68f4ade4805c5023.pngimage.thumb.png.821b4e55168b95fe9c39f5b2121f77d0.png

Swell forecast remains consistent in pushing a 10m+ swell up Irish Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

So.. it looks like I'm probably going to head down to Wales tonight. Wisemans Bridge and Manorbier Beach are the two areas of interest I've picked out. Manorbier Beach is winning at the moment, it's more exposed but there's also higher ground to stand on and watch the waves come in, plus looks slightly more vehicle accessible.

How do you pay for the Severn Toll Bridge? Do they take card? Cash? Or do you pay online later like you do with the Dartford bridge? Thanks!

• Like 2

Posted

So, the BBC made their own graphic.

It's remarkably like the NHCs track forecast graphic, except much less useful. But it does tell us where Ireland, N. Ireland, and Scotland are, incase anybody needed to know.

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

So.. it looks like I'm probably going to head down to Wales tonight. Wisemans Bridge and Manorbier Beach are the two areas of interest I've picked out. Manorbier Beach is winning at the moment, it's more exposed but there's also higher ground to stand on and watch the waves come in, plus looks slightly more vehicle accessible.

How do you pay for the Severn Toll Bridge? Do they take card? Cash? Or do you pay online later like you do with the Dartford bridge? Thanks!

Card or cash.

Wiseman's Bridge is perfectly accessible by vehicle. The car park is about a meter ASL though.

Personally, I'd be concerned about it being a bit risky though. You're braver than I if you go there.

59e372554d3b2_WisemansBridge.thumb.jpg.43f31f3f9f6f249da31a0dc02fdecc50.jpg59e372543b1a3_ScreenShot2017-10-15at10_58_19.thumb.png.276ec7ea2623677558678a18cbb5c079.png59e372568fc16_ScreenShot2017-10-15at10_27_23.thumb.png.c50c173e77155ef4e28a810fa34a4a4e.png59e37251bb463_heightscale.thumb.png.f38cd91f94ea36ad007273058e606824.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Whilst it is bad enough with the events & potential damage the storm is forecast to bring to Ireland, one can only ponder at the thought of the track being a few hundred miles further east.

The UK mainland (England especially) struggle to cope with mediocre weather events.  This would have brought the country down had the UK mainland had a direct hit.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Card or cash.

Wiseman's Bridge is perfectly accessible by vehicle. The car park is about a meter ASL though.

Personally, I'd be concerned about it being a bit risky though. You're braver than I if you go there.

59e372554d3b2_WisemansBridge.thumb.jpg.43f31f3f9f6f249da31a0dc02fdecc50.jpg59e372543b1a3_ScreenShot2017-10-15at10_58_19.thumb.png.276ec7ea2623677558678a18cbb5c079.png59e372568fc16_ScreenShot2017-10-15at10_27_23.thumb.png.c50c173e77155ef4e28a810fa34a4a4e.png59e37251bb463_heightscale.thumb.png.f38cd91f94ea36ad007273058e606824.png

Yeah that's why I'm leaning more towards Manorbier Beach, Wisemans Bridge looks like a good place but being so low down I'm a bit worried about it, if the sea topples over into the car park etc.. it'd be a bit of a risk.

Thankfully high tide at both places is during sunlight hours, there's no way I'd be down there after dark!

Edited by Daniel Smith

Posted
1 minute ago, AWD said:

Whilst it is bad enough with the events & potential damage the storm is forecast to bring to Ireland, one can only ponder at the thought of the track being a few hundred miles further east.

The UK mainland (England especially) struggle to cope with mediocre weather events.  This would have brought the country down had the UK mainland had a direct hit.

Not to mention the hyperbole from the press if it were the SE  to be impacted by this........ 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, AWD said:

What a ridiculous thing to suggest. I am almost positive the UK has experienced wind storms of similar strength in the past without the entire country being 'brought down'. 

People really love being drama queens, huh?

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, WelshWanderer said:

In Swansea we are used to rain and wind but 70-80 mph winds will be some else entirely!!  I've been out today and barely anyone knows whats about to hit us and there is nothing on TV or the web that indicates how bad it is going to get.  I know that they don't want to create a panic but people need to prepare and being a Sunday the major stores close in an hour.

70-80mph gusts are not that unusual for Mumbles. but then again your posts are a clear windup, so not to be taken seriously.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Didn't think rain would be much of a factor with this system but anyway orange warning issued

STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Connacht, Wexford, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

Heavy rain at times on Monday with some local flooding, especially in coastal areas. 40+ mm possible.

Issued:
Sunday 15 October 2017 14:00
Valid:
Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Monday 16 October 2017 21:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan and Tipperary

Heavy rain at times on Monday with some local flooding, especially in coastal areas. 25 to 40 mm possible.

Issued:
Sunday 15 October 2017 14:00
Valid:
Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Monday 16 October 2017 21:00

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

What a ridiculous thing to suggest. I am almost positive the UK has experienced wind storms of similar strength in the past without the entire country being 'brought down'. 

People really love being drama queens, huh?

Im pretty sure my sanity would be brought to its knees by the english media by now were the above scenario to play out.

37 minutes ago, crimsone said:

It's a bad day to live atop Town Hill, that's for sure.

On the plus side, the DVLA complex will take a battering.

To be fair though, I doubt there's much to be prepared for most people in Swansea. I remember riding out a nasty storm in the Garw, just outside Bridgend in the 80s - you basically just sat there and hoped the chimney stayed on.

I have relatives who work at the DVLA, so a rather crass and childish comment.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Might see you there! They take a card on the bridge these days.