Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Ireland's National Emergency Co-ordination Center is to meet tomorrow morning.

It's like "COBRA" in UK but to respond to a natural disaster.

First time ever, to my knowledge. Clearly this is being taken very seriously now.

Edited by The Eagle

Posted
Just now, The Eagle said:

Ireland's National Emergency Co-ordination Center is to meet tomorrow morning.

First time ever, to my knowledge.

Good, this definitely needs to be taken seriously. I wouldn't go as far as mass evacuation but certainly things like government ordered mandatory school closures should be considered.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Absolutely fascinating seeing such a well defined hurricane so near. Part of me wants it to track a bit further east to experience it, but I know it could potentially cause quite a bit of damage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously

Looking at the Metoffice forecast for here, West Wales shows very little rain with this hurricane. 60 mph gusts.  The 1987 storm in the SE UK gave us serious flooding in the days after.  A train bridge was swept away in the Towy valley and and a train plunged into the river with 4 deaths.  I remember the soggy post being delivered because Carmarthen sorting office was under water.  Hopefully all my post will wash away this time and all trains will be fine!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Pepler said:

looking at ir sat24 it looks like to me that she has turned east ..... does the southwest uk have to worry now ??   oh red how did i do that 

Think she begins the northward turn pretty soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather

I have a funny feeling that this may tack further east than expected!!! Which could impact the uk more!! To my untrained eye the last few gfs runs have increased the stronger winds abit further east than the previous. the most recent radar loop shows it heading E slightly NE. let’s hope by tomorrow she’s in the bay of biscay ready to deal the contry a lethal Blow!! With the centre of the low skirting  up the south coast. How funny would this be if it all happened at the last minute I think it’s quite plausible it could happen computers can’t always be right! The next 48 hours are going to be very interesting to say the least. If this euro high doesn’t block it like modelled then we may have some paths the same as this pic I did for fun 

Edited by Willsy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather
11 minutes ago, Willsy said:

I have a funny feeling that this may tack further east than expected!!! Which could impact the uk more!! To my untrained eye the last few gfs runs have increased the stronger winds abit further east than the previous. the most recent radar loop shows it heading E slightly NE. let’s hope by tomorrow she’s in the bay of biscay ready to deal the contry a lethal Blow!! With the centre of the low skirting  up the south coast. How funny would this be if it all happened at the last minute I think it’s quite plausible it could happen computers can’t always be right! The next 48 hours are going to be very interesting to say the least. If this euro high doesn’t block it like modelled then we may have some paths the same as this pic I did for fun 

80AC17EF-CEDC-41C9-866F-CBA1CAE103CF.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 hour ago, Willsy said:

80AC17EF-CEDC-41C9-866F-CBA1CAE103CF.jpeg

Where’s that from? Most of those red lines aren’t even on the cards if your saying they are possible tracks? Not very helpful as this is quite a serious situation.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

Can't see any change in direction this morning, but I sense the intensity has been upped even more. In these latest EURO4 charts, the orange zone means 69mph or above mean winds (gusts much higher) - so F11 or touching F12. Note a little spot near Anglesea.

17101609_1500.gif

17101615_1500.gif

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House
3 hours ago, The Eagle said:

New advisory. Remains Category 3 hurricane.

024441_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Isn't it fair to say that that picture shows a hurricane landfall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Interesting, transition to post tropical was expected to happen at 40N and now looks way past 45N, so stronger longer. Be interesting to see if that changes again approaching 50N

B262A207-89F9-4516-8F81-F225F9BE675A.thumb.jpeg.b22d352fa731753c189c53d90334f506.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

I see the ecm is further West with everything. Nothing certain yet?

What link do you use to see this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
10 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

Mountains and hills demand as much respect as the sea, imho.

I wouldn't be going up any hills when there are 80mph + winds about. 

I concur Rab. If you've ever seen a 6' built like a brick outhouse former army bloke carrying 15 kg of stretcher get picked up and carried 20 ' and planted on his derriere, you get an idea of what wind can be like.

In our area we also have lots of spoil heaps from slate quarrying and the smaller bits get blown about like shrapnel! I've seen a few sets of waterproofs shredded like that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

BBC radio weather forecast seem to be playing down the effects of this ‘storm’. Just listened to the forecast on Radio 4 and he mentioned possible disruption tomorrow with gusts of 70 miles per hour. Maybe this is because they only cover Northern Ireland in their forecast?

• Like 2