Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Spooky there in a moderate gale :shok:

Oh yes, was there only about 10 days ago looking at the baby Seals. Really nice day but blowing a hooley by the cliffs :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Mountains and hills demand as much respect as the sea, imho.

I wouldn't be going up any hills when there are 80mph + winds about. 

By hills I mean 800ft with houses, at the end of the day though, people will venture out, especially enthusiastic weather types like me. The key is be familiar with your location, if your not, try visiting tomorrow or early Monday, before it gets serious and make a plan b. If you don’t have a plan b if problems occur, then don’t go. 

Some common sense is needed wherever you go. 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Always respect the sea, you don’t get second chances, when the sea gets you it’s usually because you’ve e been stupid, and you end up dead. I’ll stand on a hill in high winds, but you won’t get me near the sea, respect it way to much

Completely agree. I've grown up around the sea, I know she isn't to be messed with.

12 minutes ago, benb said:

Any SW facing beach in Pembs is going to have exceptionally large swell Monday into Tuesday, probably peaking after dark on Monday evening. Freshwater West being the most exposed of these; Newgale probably 2nd best (road may be closed along seafront). Having said that, large autumn surf isn't unusual in these places, so impact may be less spectacular.

If you're looking for impact, maybe Wiseman's Bridge to Amroth/Pendine might be a good place. I've seen the road E of Amroth literally washed away after the 2014(?) storm/s.

High-tide is late afternoon.

I think Wisemans Bridge might be the winner here looking at high tide times/the location and surf forecasts

• Like 3

Posted

Could be a good call. It'll be one of the places I'll be checking out... from the bar at the Wiseman's Bridge Inn.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Completely agree. I've grown up around the sea, I know she isn't to be messed with.

I think Wisemans Bridge might be the winner here looking at high tide times/the location and surf forecasts

Could be a good call. It'll be one of the places I'll be checking out... from the bar at the Wiseman's Bridge Inn.

• Like 1

Posted

High tide at Wisemans Bridge is at 16:47, the surf forecast around that time is about 6m, those are some impressively big waves! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, Lowestoft Tiler said:

Pleased I've cancelled my red letter day air balloon ride across the Irish Sea on Monday. That would have been turbulent to say the least!  

Could have hit the mother of all thermals!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I’m getting very confused by some of the langauage that’s being used to describe this storm. Some weather blogs are saying hurricanes strength. But is that just gusts or sustained? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
5 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

SAT_1_201710141930_407.jpg

Quite amazing to have a genuine hurricane in the same satellite image as the UK.:blink2:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

At least its the last quarter moon so a neap tide. I’ll go down to my local beach during a high tide on Monday, see what it’s like. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, John Hodgson said:

I’m getting very confused by some of the langauage that’s being used to describe this storm. Some weather blogs are saying hurricanes strength. But is that just gusts or sustained? 

It won't be a hurricane by the time it gets to Ireland, but winds are expected to be of hurricane strength (frequent gusts of 74 mph+).

Just now, John Hodgson said:

Sustained winds dictates hurricane strengh on the SSHWS  the rest is just bluster :D

• Like 3

Posted

It’s a kin strong storm, hurricane or not, for the sake of it being taken for granted, it should be called a “cat 1 hurricane strength storm” would save a lot of crap

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, benb said:

Any idea of the parking situation? Trying to find as much information about the area as possible if I'm going to head down there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
53 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Where would be the best place on the Welsh Coast to see this? I'm so tempted to drive across the country late Sunday night 

Either Monkstone point just to the north of Tenby or Porthdafach just to the south of Holyhead, both also great holiday destinations.  Also Aberdaron at whistling Sands. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
Just now, Daniel Smith said:

Any idea of the parking situation? Trying to find as much information about the area as possible if I'm going to head down there

Don’t think the wardens will be out Daniel :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House
1 minute ago, The Eagle said:

New advisory from National Hurricane Center

Remains unchanged Category 3 hurricane

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT2+shtml/142037.shtml

Starting to get a bit more serious now

Posted

Please do heed warnings and be extra sensible if you try and get close to the sea to observe or indeed up mountains etc. If you do get into trouble invariably emergency services or the RNLI and mountain rescue teams, many of whom are volunteers, then have to get involved to rescue you because you were putting yourself needlessly at risk.

Don't be stupid! 

On that note, to all emergency services who have to go out on shouts in the coming rough weather, thank you and come home safe!

• Like 5

Posted
51 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Watch out for those Pembrokeshire danglers makes Cornwalls brown willy look tame :rofl:

Not to mention when Camborne starts moistening. 

• Like 1