Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Where would be the best place on the Welsh Coast to see this? I'm so tempted to drive across the country late Sunday night

The tip of Llyn Peninsular is a good place to go too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

250 mile trip.. Driving over during the night on Sunday shouldn't be too painful.. 

I would go southwest if it’s big waves you’re after and strongest winds. 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, karlos1983 said:

I would go southwest if it’s big waves yiur after an strongest winds. 

Waves would be the main reason yeah!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Over 70mh gusts potential for the whole of Wales/SW England - am I reading that right?

It's in knots and so the map is showing the risk of 80mph gusts. This is convective gusts though, so will be associated with any convective activity that may occur. Ties in with Estofex latest forecast. 

ESTOFEX

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’m in New Quay, which is spectacular when it’s a NW wind on the harbour wall, sw wind won’t produce big waves there, but I’m staying up the hill (800 ft asl) so should get some decent readings on my kestrel. 

Enjoy! Further north from there, Llansantffraed/ Llanrhystud, should be being impacted by the swell more than New Quay so maybe worth checking out.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Daniel Smith said:

Waves would be the main reason yeah!

Well SW Wales SW England and south coast of Ireland likely to see biggest waves

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Hopefully the BBC have the sense to speak about this on the national news tomorrow. Sunday is the best day to do that to warn everyone at least 

They are already talking about it, they had Matt Taylor sitting at the news desk providing some information on Ophelia.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Well SW Wales SW England and south coast of Ireland likely to see biggest waves

I've got about 5 different tabs open trying to find the place with the biggest waves, strongest winds and that's not massively difficult to get to. I'm probably going to have to nap in the car or something

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Where would be the best place on the Welsh Coast to see this? I'm so tempted to drive across the country late Sunday night

Of all places in Wales...Pembrokeshire on the extreme west coast would most likely bear the brunt there'd be extraordinary high waves keep your distance best to see from elevation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

She looks beautiful doesn't she:)

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

• Like 2

Posted

Always respect the sea, you don’t get second chances, when the sea gets you it’s usually because you’ve e been stupid, and you end up dead. I’ll stand on a hill in high winds, but you won’t get me near the sea, respect it way to much

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Any SW facing beach in Pembs is going to have exceptionally large swell Monday into Tuesday, probably peaking after dark on Monday evening. Freshwater West being the most exposed of these; Newgale probably 2nd best (road may be closed along seafront). Having said that, large autumn surf isn't unusual in these places, so impact may be less spectacular.

If you're looking for impact, maybe Wiseman's Bridge to Amroth/Pendine might be a good place. I've seen the road E of Amroth literally washed away after the 2014(?) storm/s.

High-tide is late afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Always respect the sea, you don’t get second chances, when the sea gets you it’s usually because you’ve e been stupid, and you end up dead. I’ll stand on a hill in high winds, but you won’t get me near the sea, respect it way to much

Agreed . I live on the North Sea coast and I've seen how bad things get if you get a screaming northerly . Stay away from unsafe areas 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, benb said:

Any SW facing beach in Pembs is going to have exceptionally large swell Monday into Tuesday, probably peaking after dark on Monday evening. Freshwater West being the most exposed of these; Newgale probably 2nd best (road may be closed along seafront). Having said that, large autumn surf isn't unusual in these places, so impact may be less spectacular.

If you're looking for impact, maybe Wiseman's Bridge to Amroth/Pendine might be a good place. I've seen the road E of Amroth literally washed away after the 2014(?) storm/s.

It's lovely around there :)

Posted
28 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Ask for a refund. The way it's looking you wont need a plane.

I will check on Tuesday morning if flights cancelled . Wind gusts forecast at 41mph at 10am and 15mph at Manchester Airport , though there may be disruption

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
4 minutes ago, benb said:

Agreed. Newgale is one of my all time favourite views and beaches, but with the pebble bank there, you probably wont see the big smashing breakers.  Wisemans Bridge should be good though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

It's lovely around there :)

Yep- great place; good surf (at times).

I'm originally from Ulverston, so I know the Ulverston-Barrow coast road pretty well... it'll be a bit hairy down there Mon/Tues, I'd have thought!!

• Like 1

Posted

I just dissambled our trampoline, figured if I left it out in the garden it may end up travelling from Galway to in Scotland by Monday evening, along with a collection of small plastic trucks...

Seriously though, been outside for ages prepping the garden and the house with extra stuff like checking downpipe fixings & drains.

Now for the inside stuff, those head mounted led lights are great, handy for when the power goes...its a bit mad though, buying bottled water, extra propane gas bottles for the cooker, as Met Eireann have issued the Red alerts for Galway

so now the threat is getting more real.

Talk later,

Dave.

Edited by Dave BM
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Andy Pepler said:

i would goto marlows or st davids :) prembs will be stunning in this event 

Marloes would be far too dangerous in my opinion.  You have very sheer cliffs with incredibly strong winds there. I do not think it would be wise to stand up there

• Like 2

Just now, benb said:

Yep- great place; good surf (at times).

I'm originally from Ulverston, so I know the Ulverston-Barrow coast road pretty well... it'll be a bit hairy down there Mon/Tues, I'd have thought!!

Lol, it will guarantee the road will be closed ,a few years back the old timber building  at bay cliff was washed into the sea .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Mountains and hills demand as much respect as the sea, imho.

I wouldn't be going up any hills when there are 80mph + winds about. 

• Like 1