Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
50 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Well guys I'm well poised in the heart of Cork City. The news channels over here haven't really copped on to what's ahead yet. It looks dangerous to me and Cork after all is Irelands largest city outside of Dublin. The 12zs will be compulsive viewing

Do you have a webcam?? Can you manage to stream live on the Tube of You?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Dangerous winds for ROI & NI.

Stormy, damaging gusts for Scotland.

Breezy for the far NW of England and Western Wales.

Meanwhile in England........

download.jpg.05eb9be0bfb24529cc3e1d3ca29ceded.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 minute ago, AWD said:

Dangerous winds for ROI & NI.

Stormy, damaging gusts for Scotland.

Breezy for the far NW of England and Western Wales.

Meanwhile in England........

download.jpg.05eb9be0bfb24529cc3e1d3ca29ceded.jpg

I'm intrigued to see how the models handle this for Scotland actually. 70mph looks a bit on the conservative side now.

I always wanted to visit Ireland. Looks like I've missed my chance as it'll be gone by Tuesday morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
5 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I'm intrigued to see how the models handle this for Scotland actually. 70mph looks a bit on the conservative side now.

I always wanted to visit Ireland. Looks like I've missed my chance as it'll be gone by Tuesday morning. 

Hope you're right about 70mph being conservative! 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Finally got a mention on the news and even quoted Noaa

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

It might visit you yet.....

Posted
1 minute ago, Longtimelurker said:

201717N_4H.png

Wind field at T45. Cat1 sustained winds inland over SW Ireland.

Tropical storm force sustained winds across most of the UK. Didn't think it would be quite that widespread.

• Like 2

Posted

What's the latest views on a storm surge in the south west reaches?  Just thinking about the Scilly Isles -  not exactly the most mountainous of islands..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, swebby said:

What's the latest views on a storm surge in the south west reaches?  Just thinking about the Scilly Isles -  not exactly the most mountainous of islands..

I think surge will only really be a problem near the centre, where pressure is deepest. Other than normal storm overlap, I don’t think it will be big impacts. But I could be wrong. Having never been to the Scilly isles I’m not sure of the landscape and how it copes in standard UK storms?

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Hi, another Irish resident to add to the discussion. Also a bit worried but hopefully here on the east coast we're out of the firing line a little bit.

Really worried for the west coast, models showing Category 1 sustained winds there. And so far national news is more concerned about cancelled buses with just about nothing on radio or TV bar the usual banter about it being a bit windy.

Funny error on a recent chart - "knots" up top but wind speed colour chart in km/h scaring many into thinking things had got much worse!

45-289UK.GIF?14-12

Edited by Tropical Dubliner

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
11 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Probably the first and last time ARGEPE will need its 200kmh + colour (see bottom left)

arpegeuk-11-46-0.png?14-18

Luckily at the moment the winds do seem to ease a little, though the arpege gives gusts of around 100mph around the southern coasts of Ireland (GFS goes for 80-90mph). Still  a bit of time to see the storm strengthen further or perhaps see predicted winds eases somewhat. Still this could be a major event for the southern half of Ireland (Strange to think that a couple of hundred miles east it will be sunny and very warm with very little effect seen from this storm).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Dunno whats going on at MET? Yellow weather warnings for Lochmaben keep changing. It shows warning for mon and tues and then changes to just tuesday. This has happened several times today :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, Squall said:

Dunno whats going on at MET? Yellow weather warnings for Lochmaben keep changing. It shows warning for mon and tues and then changes to just tuesday. This has happened several times today :cc_confused:

Might be a cache issue on your device?

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Tropical Dubliner said:

Hi, another Irish resident to add to the discussion. Also a bit worried but hopefully here on the east coast we're out of the firing line a little bit.

Really worried for the west coast, models showing Category 1 sustained winds there. And so far national news is more concerned about cancelled buses with just about nothing on radio or TV bar the usual banter about it being a bit windy.

Funny error on a recent chart - "knots" up top but wind speed colour chart in km/h scaring many into thinking things had got much worse!

45-289UK.GIF?14-12

I posted these charts earlier. Color is km/h. Sorry, should have clarified!

Edited by The Eagle
  • Thanks 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Do you have a webcam?? Can you manage to stream live on the Tube of You?

Here's a live youtube stream from neighbouring county Waterford. Pity there aren't more trees, but could be interesting to watch on Monday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 24 degrees clear skies in summer, -24 degrees clear skies in winter

I’m supposed to be landing an A320 in Belfast on Monday night. Timing wise, do we have any estimate? Cheers 

Posted

To be fair, I think it only right that the NHC takes the lead on warning about this. The Met Office is very, very experienced when it comes to extratropical cyclones.... they've been studying them for years as they're basically the bread and butter of UK weather. It's the NHC that has the expertise when it comes to hurricanes, and up until the point of transition, the NHC are probably best placed to forecase, with the Met Office taking advice from them for the time being...

... though that's not to say that the Met Office will have no input, of course. It's not as though they're clueless... thay just aren't the best available when it comes to the kind of systems the UK basically never sees (though they know our coast better than NHC, and have a better understanding ofg UK climactic conditions... not to mention that they have some of the best local tools available to them. They're getting a bloody good crash course in hurricanes right now though.

• Like 4