Cold?
IGNORED

Urban heat island effect

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Recently the Met office have started allowing for the Urban heat island effect during forecasts.  However I've noticed that the difference where I live is considerable less and the actual values for Ural areas is actually closer to the mark. So for example they stick 10C for cities and then say 5C for Ural areas and I'll end up probably getting 6C. I've just had a click around on met office wow website and unfortunately there aren't many stations in Sheffield. The three shown including my own all have come in close to given country side value rather than the city value. 

Anybody else noticed this at all. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

The one the bbc use for my area is on crosby beach lol. How accurate would that be for inland areas being on the coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:07, The PIT said:

Recently the Met office have started allowing for the Urban heat island effect during forecasts.  However I've noticed that the difference where I live is considerable less and the actual values for Ural areas is actually closer to the mark. So for example they stick 10C for cities and then say 5C for Ural areas and I'll end up probably getting 6C. I've just had a click around on met office wow website and unfortunately there aren't many stations in Sheffield. The three shown including my own all have come in close to given country side value rather than the city value. 

Anybody else noticed this at all. 

Pit..

Yep..

The view from the Midlands is similar.

The local BBC forecasts always show the UHI temps on their daily charts.

I live in the middle of a large suburban area with a park about half a mile away.

The BBC West Midlands forecasts are almost always the same showing the temps in the middle of Brum, one for the Stoke area, one for Coventry and one for Hereford.

It is noticeable that the maximum temps as spoken  are always  those in  Hereford  (which are normally about 1 - 2C above those of the greater Midlands area - except during a heatwave when Cheltenham is used!). 

However, they always use the larger cities for their minimum temperatures.

They may then occasionally mention a value being about 1 - 4C lower in the countryside. This mainly if there is a possibility of a frost occurring.  I do not live in the countryside (about 3 miles away) and yet my temperatures overnight in my back garden are always those in the more rural areas.

In this area the UHI effect seems to show its hand  more during the winter with the minimums. The only time I notice the effect in summer is during a prolonged heat wave when the heat does build due to the UHI effect in the inner cities.

Most people are unaware that  frequently what is being shown is not the same as the spoken word.

Now that should normally be balanced out.

But it does seem to be  a policy decision of the BBC (at least in this area), to promote  the warmer temperatures, both at night and during the day, summer and  winter alike.

In my opinion, it was all brought in when they decided to put 'a brighter face' on our weather forecasting several years back..

MIA  

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Lets see what happens tonight. Ten degrees forecast 6C lower in rural areas although they did say some cities could get into single figures. Cooler air has arrived here now and temps are dropping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
24 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Cooler air has arrived here now and temps are dropping.

Shame it'll last about as long as a virgin in a frat house...