Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Where has all 4 seasons?

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Dream climates again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaghcharan

If this is anywhere near accurate (it says 1968-83) it is the mother of all four season climates. Proper Full Monty seasons. No messing about with 10-15C and cloud for months on end, it is cold and snowy in winter, hot and sunny in summer (but cooling down at night), spring is short, showery and warms up quick, autumn gets sunny mild days and frosty nights. Especially if (as I suspect) some of those April showers come with rumbles and flashes. Just a shame it's over 2000m up in one of the most dangerous areas on the planet. 

Now to try and find one of these climates that's not a) virtually uninhabited b) a war zone c) at over 2000m d) inaccessible except by chartering a plane/chartering a boat/hiking 50 miles over mountains/wrecking the environment with a Landcruiser/being a yak.

This is pretty good as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urmia

Now is there anywhere with this kind of climate where I could, having seen something that hardly ever happens here (a MCS, more than 15cm of snow, over 250 hours of sun in a month) publicly toast the weather gods with a nice jug of ale without being arrested. By all accounts there are parts of America where that goes down as well as in Iran or Afghanistan, so we'll leave there for now (Utah has some fantastic climates, can the morons with an extra M be convinced their promised land is Campbell Island instead?)  

Canada is probably OK for it though, let's try there. Inland British Columbia to be precise. Kelowna, BC has a pretty good climate looking at the Wiki data (just a bit gloomy in winter, but with snow that's more bearable than 10C and drizzle); however digging a bit deeper it seems that the airport is not representative of the city (one source says 75 days snow cover versus 50, another site has someone reporting seeing a foot of snow at the airport and only partial cover downtown- can't be doing with that sort of thing especially If it is only 100-200m of elevation causing it). Kamloops is also decent-looking but might not get totally reliable snowcover (dry winters with a fair few days well above zero).

Got it. Williams Lake, BC is 98% perfect. Just a little wet in summer, though if it's thundery it doesn't matter, and it gets a damn sight more sun than here does. Average high -2C in winter and 26C in summer, 2000 hours of sun and 400mm precipitation. 90cm of snow (170 if you go up to the airport, that's 400m higher which is acceptable- it still gets 22C highs up there at 900m in summer). It's almost the same latitude as here, so no strange day length cycles (below about 40 degrees I find the sun sets too early in summer and rises to early the rest of the time, except in Spain where they fix it 2 hours ahead of solar time). 10,000 people (so big enough to meet criterion A) of whom all but 80 speak English (who would have thought back in the days when we had something resembling seasons, that I'd be able to get Canadian census data for the tap of a screen). Same latitude, same language, same queen, same size as a typical Shropshire/Marches town, just a decent climate. Oh and the stampede looks a lot more fun than the Shrewsbury Flower Show.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_Lake,_British_Columbia

PS I know there are a few Canadians on here. On the small off-chance it is the kind of place where life consists of standing in cow dung all day, then necking a bottle of cheap whisky before going home to have a domestic with wife-cousin, don't tell me. There are places rather like that round here, Won't Ever Mention their names. I just have this image of climate nirvana, I don't want it spoilt. 

Great read, cheers for that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
On 10/6/2017 at 08:09, Staffordshire said:

Alps was also a consideration of mine, maybe the more western side?

If I ever move to the Alps it would have to be around Bolzano/Merano/Brunico in the Italian Tyrol which is in the Central/Southern Alps, you can get some of the highest temps around there in the whole of Italy in the Summer and some of the coldest in the Alps in the Winter. Its surrounded by the Dolomites and a mix of Italian/Austrian culture so you can have your Spaghetti and local vino for lunch and Schnitzel with some of the Forstebrau lager from the Merano brewery in the evening, the quality of food is always high. Lovely part of the world if you ask me, wonderful cakes too. Good time to go is for the traditional Christmas markets.:D

• Like 1