Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2017 2018 General Discussion

syed2878

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

Somehow Greece always manages to grab some wintry weather. :cold:

Yes while much of Europe is getting milder winters Greece, Turkey and the Balkans appear to be getting colder winters.

Undoubtedly a consequence of seemingly unstoppable trail of +NAO winters.

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

JAMSTEC has updated for October

Surface air temp anomaly is shown to be above average

temp2_glob.DJF2018.1oct2017.thumb.gif.e3d26b7e6e1bf0505b020d83557f16f5.gif

Precipitation anomaly is shown to be average or just below average for most maybe a touch above in the north and west

tprep_glob.DJF2018.1oct2017.thumb.gif.74af58e3b989a1af272f37fb2f7b84b3.gif

Pretty much the whole world (well more than 75% of it is "above average") - is that so much of a worry. I am very skeptical about these type of long range outputs. It doesn't mean that we won't get cold / snowy periods that could last 2/3/4 weeks.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Pretty much the whole world (well more than 75% of it is "above average") - is that so much of a worry. I am very skeptical about these type of long range outputs. It doesn't mean that we won't get cold / snowy periods that could last 2/3/4 weeks.

Yep and from my aging eyes Ireland looks like it's just below average . I suspect an average winter with chance of snow . 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Precipitation anomaly is shown to be average or just below average for most maybe a touch above in the north and west

Look at temps over Scandi.A big fat Scandi high setting up all winter with the snow going into North Africa,southern Spain lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
7 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

I cannot weigh it up!!!

plus temp in Scandi and minus temps in Africa,i don't think so:nonono:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I cannot weigh it up!!!

plus temp in Scandi and minus temps in Africa,i don't think so:nonono:

It's not showing plus/minus temps - it's anomalies. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 hours ago, Paul_1978 said:

you mean 2/3/4 hours?

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

It's not showing plus/minus temps - it's anomalies. :)

I know that!!

had a bit of pop.

Posted

Looks a bit disjointed, but I refuse to believe it. Perhaps it’s best to predict the worst and get the best? I am sure (quote me if I’m wrong), one of the winters in the earlier part of the decade was predicted mild and turned out to be very cold? 

Posted

I don't think we'll have much idea really what Winter will be like until a month's time or more. By then there'll be a lot more contributors and I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable posters such as Tamara and possibly GP will start giving us some clues. Not that they're always right of course. But they do have a very broad grasp of global teleconnections which gives them an idea of how things could go.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
On 10/9/2017 at 13:03, Weather-history said:

If you look at the Victorian era from about 1846 to 1885, there were quite a number of very mild Februarys with odd cold ones dotted in. Infact, it was so much that December was colder than February for a 30 year period. 

Really odd period, not sure why February in that period was so singled out

1860-61: 1.5, 1.7, 4.9

1867-68: 3.4, 3.9, 6.8

1870-71: 0.6, 0.5, 6.1

1878-79: -0.3, -0.7, 3.1  In a very cold year as 1879, February was unremarkable compared to other months

1879-80: 0.7, 0.9, 5.8

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Hi all, looking for some links (if available), can anyone provide a link to QBO records pre-1950 as I am looking for some comparisons with other years of high hurricane activity. So looking any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Bullseye

Posted

Way to early still to get a feel for how the upcoming winter will pan out. However at this point in time I feel more confident of seeing a significant cold spell for the UK with laying snow and negative max daytime temps even if it only lasts for a week or so. Compared to the last few winters this would be notable and welcome event should it happen.

I am probably hedging my bets on what we are seeing in the strat in the forecasted period and the propensity for northern blocking that we are seeing in the model output, with the likelihood (hope) of this being being repeated during the coming winter months.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Brian Gaze over on TWO

One issue is the background warmth around the globe. Think of getting a cold winter in the UK as hitting the bullseye on a dartboard. The bullseye is still on the board but it has become smaller.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Yep - I dont understand his logic there at all. Background warmth may well modify cold airstreams a bit, but it will mean absolutely nothing if we get a long fetch easterly or trough dropping in from the north. It will still be cold, and cold enough for snow. As far as I am aware potential for vortex disruption and a meridional jet shape is unaffected by "background warmth" so his argument is nonsense.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Yep - I dont understand his logic there at all. Background warmth may well modify cold airstreams a bit, but it will mean absolutely nothing if we get a long fetch easterly or trough dropping in from the north. It will still be cold, and cold enough for snow. As far as I am aware potential for vortex disruption and a meridional jet shape is unaffected by "background warmth" so his argument is nonsense.

Also what I thought - 1 degree or so ain't gonna do much to an ice day. Unless he's more refering to the Arctic being warmer the last few years, and even then, as you say continental shouldn't be affected. 

Posted

True that marginal situations will lead to less white stuff and more cold rain... but his quote is that the chance of a "cold" winter is now less. A cold winter is defined by synoptics and not by average global temperature anomalies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Catacol said:

True that marginal situations will lead to less white stuff and more cold rain... but his quote is that the chance of a "cold" winter is now less. A cold winter is defined by synoptics and not by average global temperature anomalies.

I think his statement is perfectly accurate. The chances of a cold winter in the UK have evidently fallen over the past 25 years. This isn't surprising.

Posted

The cfs is showing a good mean for dec,other months are pants though.

cfsnh-1-12-2017.png?00

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I think his statement is perfectly accurate. The chances of a cold winter in the UK have evidently fallen over the past 25 years. This isn't surprising.

His statement attributes this to "background warmth." You are not noting the context of the statement which is the key factor. Nobody would deny that we have had fewer cold winters since the 80s - but this is a matter of synoptics and not background warming. The far more interesting debate is why we have had a greater number of winters dominated by westerlies and fewer periods of arctic or continental influence. This is a far more complex debate and one that cannot be answered by raw global temperature increases alone.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
5 minutes ago, Catacol said:

The point though Catacol is those marginal situations are more likely these days with the warmer Arctic with less sea ice thus the point of Brian Gazes statement.

Northerlies get more modified over a warmer and more open Arctic sea and i believe now our best source of deep cold is from Siberia/Scandinavia where less modification is likely and we know how rare those patterns are. 

A cold pattern is still possible i am sure but more and more now we need perfection to get deep cold here such as Nov/Dec 2010.