Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2017 2018 General Discussion

syed2878

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
On 14/11/2017 at 12:59, sebastiaan1973 said:

2 very different forecasts. I'll take No2 please. Their interpretation of the NAO signature could not be more at odds!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice to see the meto forecasting temps avg or just below as we head into Winter.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Nice to see the meto forecasting temps avg or just below as we head into Winter.

What do you think? To me at least, looking at ENSO, events in the strat and how the MJO is, I'm thinking zonal is coming in the next few weeks.

Of course, just because it is zonal, doesn't mean it is mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Some nice cold, bright, frosty days an nights would  be great  I must admit a bit of snow wouldn't go amiss, especially for the youngsters.:) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

which is the most reliable charts, GFS or ECMWF, as they are giving different forecasts for next week

Posted
7 minutes ago, irishlad69 said:

which is the most reliable charts, GFS or ECMWF, as they are giving different forecasts for next week

ECMWF is top dog. UKMO is second. GFS third. This can change week to week, though and you will always find examples of where the GFS was right over the ECM, for example. So, on the balance of probability, at any given time, the ECMWF is more likely to be correct than the GFS.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 11/15/2017 at 16:02, Catacol said:

2 very different forecasts. I'll take No2 please. Their interpretation of the NAO signature could not be more at odds!

If either forecast where to come to fruition then both would produce a very cold snowy winter for my location..not that it is not cold and snowy already :cold:

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

This is rather interesting. Need more updates - but that green line shouldnt really be heading towards the 5-8 orbit in a Nina state. Shows the ongoing disconnect between ocean and atmosphere in the pacific helping sustain a global pattern that is generally disconnected. Is this the east based Nina with neutral tendency in region 4 sustaining some amplitude? Vortex repositioning to Siberia also set to create a bump in AAM via himalayan torque in tag team effect with (probably temporary) appearance of low pressure in the north pacific and a bit of US driven torque also.

gwo_90d.gif

Nothing to jump up and down and be hugely excited about yet.... but stuff like this shows that interest is to be had in the extended period especially if the disconnect can be sustained as long as possible thanks perhaps to the current shape of the Nina pattern and the slow start to the season for the tropospheric vortex. It would be gold dust if the next MJO phase could begin while that disconnect were still in force - I'd start to be become properly excited in the possibility of some mid to late winter blocking setups if that happens...

... but we wont know that for a while yet. Could still see a Nina pattern and a wimpy MJO bumping up against an established trop vortex. 

All to play for. Still think December will be uninteresting for the most part. 

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Mild wet and windy sounds good?

Just wondering whats good about that chris

typical of TMW, Dec and Jan most westerly months of the year

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Mild wet and windy sounds good?

Just wondering whats good about that chris

Better than cold and snow, which causes many more problems (obviously I'm not referring to severe problems due to rainfall).  Anyway, southern England is in a drought; we need some rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Better than cold and snow, which causes many more problems (obviously I'm not referring to severe problems due to rainfall).  Anyway, southern England is in a drought; we need some rain.

kind of for TMW, agree 44m asl south will not produce proper snow nowadays, sleet/wet snow melt before 11am the best, I prefer dry to wet though by far, but if I lived on a hill oop norf, then I'd be looking out for PM air and southerly lows

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

kind of for TMW, agree 44m asl south will not produce proper snow nowadays, sleet/wet snow melt before 11am the best, I prefer dry to wet though by far, but if I lived on a hill oop norf, then I'd be looking out for PM air and southerly lows

I meant in general, though it's even worse in TMW given that, as you say, it's usually insufficient to at least compensate for the downsides with the (few) upsides.

Posted
23 hours ago, jvenge said:

ECMWF is top dog. UKMO is second. GFS third. This can change week to week, though and you will always find examples of where the GFS was right over the ECM, for example. So, on the balance of probability, at any given time, the ECMWF is more likely to be correct than the GFS.

Isn't this dependent on the season, where ec tends to overamplify and leads to a lot of blocking in fi

Posted
4 hours ago, ArHu3 said:

Isn't this dependent on the season, where ec tends to overamplify and leads to a lot of blocking in fi

Nah. ECM is top each season. Week to week you might find some variation, though. It really is top dog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
5 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Feel free to have some of our rain, it'll allow my trench foot to improve a bit.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Methinks it's time to issue an early season BOLO:

The subject is white, about six inches tall, and hasn't been seen since 2013...:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Methinks it's time to issue an early season BOLO:

The subject is white, about six inches tall, and hasn't been seen since 2013...:D

Not seen him, last thing I saw like that in 2013 was 24 " ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
On 18/11/2017 at 13:22, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I meant in general, though it's even worse in TMW given that, as you say, it's usually insufficient to at least compensate for the downsides with the (few) upsides.

I’m just curious, what does TMW stand for by the way?

As for Winter hopes and predictions, I’d personally love for this Winter to be filled with a lot of white stuff, but have a feeling it won’t be a particularly cold one, (despite some favourable factors such as the Easterly QBO). Would love to be in for a surprise though!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Typos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

I’m just curious, what does TMW stand for by the way?

As for Winter hopes and predictions, I’d personally love for this Winter to be filled with a lot of white stuff, but have a feeling it won’t be a particularly cold one, (despite some favourable factors such as the Easterly QBO). Would love to be in for a surprise though! 

A term that a person called Ian Brown claimed he coined (which has since been disproved) - The Modern W inter

• Thanks 1