Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2017 2018 General Discussion

syed2878

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Not even winter, and not even cold yet and I've heard people in the office (in London) moaning about how cold it is. Also saying how they "heard it was going to snow this week," obviously they read the Express. Same person then said "once it gets to 4 degrees then it can snow." Oh if it were that simple!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

winter has duly arrived here...tis snowing not too bad..before the real cold kicks in overnight....thereafter we are into minus double digits for a while..dont expect to see much in the way plus double digits until April next year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Can I have some of that? :)

Posted
21 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Not even winter, and not even cold yet and I've heard people in the office (in London) moaning about how cold it is. Also saying how they "heard it was going to snow this week," obviously they read the Express. Same person then said "once it gets to 4 degrees then it can snow." Oh if it were that simple!

Yeah, there are plenty of people out there who have some quite false ideas about how the weather works (though I too was once pretty ignorant). The amount of people I've heard who actually believe we can get snow 2 weeks after New York is incredible. If only, because the UK would be a much snowier place if it did.

Posted
22 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Treat!!!

Put your burning candles right next to your nylon net curtains ... 

After many years of mild winters, have to wonder if we will see winter weather like that again...

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

Put your burning candles right next to your nylon net curtains ... 

After many years of mild winters, have to wonder if we will see winter weather like that again...

December 1990, followed hot on the heels by Feb 1991, two significant UK snow events in one winter.

You never know - the dice would have to fall right but you can't rule it out!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Treat!!!

Cool, childhood days meaning snow, and often heard Moira Stewart, as I looked forward to the bbc weather at 6.25pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Winter2017-18Forecast.pdf 

Very interesting forecast which I thought I would share with you guys, one of the American mets from Twitter had issued his 2017-18 forecast. His top analogs are 1962/63 and 1995/96! Was a great read and very informative although I did get ahead of myself!

Will add Twitter link if people are having problems viewing pdf: 

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I like the look of the cold sst's surrounding Italy. Surely that should aid in the development of our old friend the Genoa low through the coming winter. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

These two gems from December 1981

Even though I was only five years old back then, I remember the snow turning to rain that Sunday evening.  It ruined my snowman! :angry:  Thankfully, the snow returned with a vengeance in January!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

My hopes are tempered by the recent mild winters.  It's generally going to be rarer to receive cold and snow thanks to the warming planet.

But as a snow lover, I seek solace in the fact we regularly get "stuck" in weather patterns.  In recent years we have had weeks of westerlies (December 2015), weeks of easterlies (March 2013), weeks of a jet stream locked well south of us (December 2010).

So for me, there is every chance of a cold winter ahead.  We just need the dice to land perfectly.  In probability terms, that would probably require 2 dice landing on a 1 or 2 to hit the winter jackpot so many on here crave..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

I'm In Calgary, snowing outside as I type this, set for 3 days of continuous snowfall. Definitely the best part of moving here!

At first my gut was leading me to 2009/2010 winter then 12/13 and now 13/14

Over here we are beginning to see a persistent pacific high which is set to give us a very cold few weeks but my concern for everyone back in the UK is the stormy potential from a potentially energized jet stream caused from the deepening cold in Canada meeting with the lows travelling up the eastern U.S.

I'm glad to see a forecast for a trop vortex-split in the mid range but looking at the strengthening vortex in the short term, i'm not sure if the vortex is going to strengthen and then get itself comfortable as it did in 2013/14. However, with it only being November 1st and an easterly QBO among with low sunspot activity gives me more hope than 3 years ago.

All aboard the model roller coaster! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
16 hours ago, CanadaAl said:

I'm In Calgary, snowing outside as I type this, set for 3 days of continuous snowfall. Definitely the best part of moving here!

At first my gut was leading me to 2009/2010 winter then 12/13 and now 13/14

Over here we are beginning to see a persistent pacific high which is set to give us a very cold few weeks but my concern for everyone back in the UK is the stormy potential from a potentially energized jet stream caused from the deepening cold in Canada meeting with the lows travelling up the eastern U.S.

I'm glad to see a forecast for a trop vortex-split in the mid range but looking at the strengthening vortex in the short term, i'm not sure if the vortex is going to strengthen and then get itself comfortable as it did in 2013/14. However, with it only being November 1st and an easterly QBO among with low sunspot activity gives me more hope than 3 years ago.

All aboard the model roller coaster! 

I'm so jealous! 20-30CM?? (accuweather)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, snowbunting said:

Do you know what the actual date of this was?

There's various clips, weekend 8th Dec 1990 and 9th feb 1991

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
On 01/11/2017 at 18:39, Bullseye said:

Winter2017-18Forecast.pdf 

Very interesting forecast which I thought I would share with you guys, one of the American mets from Twitter had issued his 2017-18 forecast. His top analogs are 1962/63 and 1995/96! Was a great read and very informative although I did get ahead of myself!

Will add Twitter link if people are having problems viewing pdf: 

Agree - like the forecast and just got my knuckles rapped for mentioning your Twitter link over on the mod thread. I like his thinking... and in the last few hours he has updated that his predicted PDO is progressing as planned. Never mind 63 - I’d happily take 96...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Agree - like the forecast and just got my knuckles rapped for mentioning your Twitter link over on the mod thread. I like his thinking... and in the last few hours he has updated that his predicted PDO is progressing as planned. Never mind 63 - I’d happily take 96...

Will be very interested on how this progresses, also liked how he admitted to his failings on last year's forecast. One key thing which I don't he mentioned was the hurricane season, if we factor this in then 95/96 hurricane season ranks high up in the table and not far of this season. Unsure of the '62 hurricane season. 

Edited by Bullseye

Steve Murr if reading, we're seeing a lot of stressed vortexes in the ensembles at t 240+, I remember reading something last year about the Arctic oscillation in November quite often being connected to winter CET. Somethng about at least 1 month being colder. Was that you? If so, that theory may be tested this year, if the AO can be negative for the month.  

Posted
12 minutes ago, oasis said:

Steve Murr if reading, we're seeing a lot of stressed vortexes in the ensembles at t 240+, I remember reading something last year about the Arctic oscillation in November quite often being connected to winter CET. Somethng about at least 1 month being colder. Was that you? If so, that theory may be tested this year, if the AO can be negative for the month.  

Tag Steve so he sees it by putting an @ in front of his name, i.e. @Steve Murr