Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Snipper

Serious telephone scam

Not quite sure where this post should be put for best effect.

Just had a telephone call by recorded message saying there was a serious claim against my name by Inland Revenue. After a few words and realising what it was all about I hung up. 

I can imagine many might not realise about this scam and be really worried. There are many vulnerable people out there being targeted by the scum doing this. Even those who might think themselves as not vulnerable are likely to find it a bit disconcerting initially.

This link might be if interest https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/06/warning-fake-hmrc-calls-on-the-rise---what-to-do-if-youve-been-targeted

Hopefully everyone will pass on the warning. 

7 hours ago, Snipper said:

Not quite sure where this post should be put for best effect.

Just had a telephone call by recorded message saying there was a serious claim against my name by Inland Revenue. After a few words and realising what it was all about I hung up. 

I can imagine many might not realise about this scam and be really worried. There are many vulnerable people out there being targeted by the scum doing this. Even those who might think themselves as not vulnerable are likely to find it a bit disconcerting initially.

This link might be if interest https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/06/warning-fake-hmrc-calls-on-the-rise---what-to-do-if-youve-been-targeted

Hopefully everyone will pass on the warning. 

Have you tried contacting HMRC by phone to speak to them? its like trying to contact Lord Luncan ..so the chances of them phoning you is is less than zero so how anyone would fall for this is beyond me.

22 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Have you tried contacting HMRC by phone to speak to them? its like trying to contact Lord Luncan ..so the chances of them phoning you is is less than zero so how anyone would fall for this is beyond me.

I often struggle to find sympathy for people caught up with scams like this. Unless they're not of sound mind, some basic common sense is all it takes to realise something isn't right.

Doesn't make what these scumbags do any more right, but it beggars belief how gullible some people are.

These days, if I don't recognise it I don't answer it, simple as that. If it's important they will leave a message, and if they leave a pre-recorded message it's bound to be a scam.

35 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

You have more chance of contacting lord lucan through a seance, than getting through to those clowns

16 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

These days, if I don't recognise it I don't answer it, simple as that. If it's important they will leave a message, and if they leave a pre-recorded message it's bound to be a scam.

Yep, same. Had one today, unrecognised number. If I can be bothered I'll look the number up to see if it's worth calling back, but I haven't found one yet.

Rarely answer numbers not  stored in my phone not interested in sales or anything else .

you think its bad in the UK since i have been back in Canada i have won over $200m in lotteries i have never entered or banking errors on mortgages i dont have..just send us your details to claim your monies 

I also never answer numbers I don't recognise. Now I've got an app on my phone that says if it's a scam or nuisance call if it recognises the number, so i don't even need to bother looking it up now. 

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I often struggle to find sympathy for people caught up with scams like this. Unless they're not of sound mind, some basic common sense is all it takes to realise something isn't right.

Doesn't make what these scumbags do any more right, but it beggars belief how gullible some people are.

Find this a slightly strange and unsympathetic response. 

Unfortunately not everyone is as street wise and cute as you. Is cute the word I need?

I am not sure my elderly mother could cope with such a call. She can worry for England with far less. Let alone a an apparent call threatening dire things. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If I can be bothered I accept the call but never say anything. I know half the time they're checking to see if it's a 'live' number, but I like to think that there is some cost to them in making these calls, and sometimes it's interesting to listen and see how long they'll keep talking before realising they're not getting any response.

3 minutes ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

If I can be bothered I accept the call but never say anything. I know half the time they're checking to see if it's a 'live' number, but I like to think that there is some cost to them in making these calls, and sometimes it's interesting to listen and see how long they'll keep talking before realising they're not getting any response.

Beware that it might be a matter of reverse dialling. Hang up pdq. 

Check that line has actually disconnected. 

Edited by Snipper

Is it possible to reverse dial a mobile number without the recipient having to actively accept the call ? I know there are plenty of urban myths about this happening, but try as I might I can't find any evidence that it actually happens, and in all the time I've been 'silent answering', which is a few years now, I've never once had an unknown/unrecognised charge on my phone bill.

29 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Unfortunately not everyone is as street wise and cute as you. Is cute the word I need?

I am not sure my elderly mother could cope with such a call. She can worry for England with far less. Let alone a an apparent call threatening dire things. 

Glad you said that Snipper, I remember when my elderly parents were alive, although they were sound of mind most of the time, I remember a couple of nights when the mere fact that the phone was ringing induced blind panic!

Don't want to say anymore, as a ban would be guaranteed.

• Like 1

I have aphasia, consequence of stroke, and cannot conduct a telephone conversation however although I don't pick up a speech call I have had the odd scam text whereupon opening immediately takes a few quid's worth of credit.  Such texts are immediately deleted without opening.  I have no landline phone, just the mobile for texts and email.

1 hour ago, Snipper said:

Street wise? Not being willing to give out bank details to a randomer is considered street wise now?

I wasn't referring to threatening phone calls, I was referring to people falling for obvious scams. It's akin to falling for a public wallet inspector in the street.

Edited by Nick L

39 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Street wise? Not being willing to give out bank details to a randomer is considered street wise now?

I wasn't referring to threatening phone calls, I was referring to people falling for obvious scams. It's akin to falling for a public wallet inspector in the street.

when you fully grow up, and maybe get to old age, you will find that the chip on your shoulder gone. hopefully!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

when you fully grow up, and maybe get to old age, you will find that the chip on your shoulder gone. hopefully!

Too right.

Isn't it the point of a scam to confuse and mislead? Some are more susceptible than others otherwise it would not happen. Why would anyone not wish to warn or help those who may be vulnerable or potentially in danger whether it be physical or mental? Not just say no point bothering about them as they are stupid.

Luke 10:25–37

• Like 3

Am going to lock this , can't see anywhere positive for it to go, and the warning is out there now.