Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Do You Like and Dislike About Autumn?

Do You Like Autumn?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like Autumn

• Yes, it rocks!
    • It's okay
    • Ahhh, I hate it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

September 2017 was barely below average by the width of a whisker!

Good point, LG. I guess that that's the problem with piddling around with tenths-of-degrees: an 'average' month doesn't have to be precisely on the arithmetic mean to be average...:D

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

September 2017 was barely below average by the width of a whisker!

I'll take that in these testing times, could October come in below too and make it 3 in a row? whiskers welcome.:D

Posted
13 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I'll take that in these testing times, could October come in below too and make it 3 in a row? whiskers welcome.:D

I used to have a cat called Whiskers...I never was a skilled namer of cats - the one I have now is called Cat!:D

Posted
33 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I used to have a cat called Whiskers...I never was a skilled namer of cats - the one I have now is called Cat!:D

You're obviously a deep thinker Pete...:D

Back on topic me thinks.:oops:

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

It will be very strange if August to and including December all came in below and yet none of them beat even the pitiful "cool" anomalies from July 2002, October 2002, July 2004, October 2004, November 2005 and December 2005.

Edited by Lettucing Gutted

Posted
8 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

You're obviously a deep thinker Pete...:D

Back on topic me thinks.:oops:

But it is on topic Dave, even if you can't apprehend it...Have you never used the 'Cat's Whisker Test' as a way of assessing air-temperature and thus the Snow Accumulation Potential??:D

Posted

- The start of the snow watch

- Cycling through crispy leaves on a chilly morning

- Halloween

Dislikes:

- Cold mornings so you take a coat and cardigan, maybe a scarf and gloves just in case, and when you go out for lunch the sun is out and you are melting in your layers.

- The ever encroaching darkness

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
On 01/10/2017 at 17:19, Frost HoIIow said:

Overall I do like Autumn. I like the fact it's not far from Winter, the first frosts normally happen

Err, no they don't normally until November (or almost into It). Certainly if the last few autumns are anything to go by! Even where I live in the North Pennines we had to wait until the 2nd November for our first air frost in 2013 and during the last three autumns nothing below 0C occurred until well into November! October this year looks like it may very well be another muggy buggy damp no-air-frost month!

Autumn is not a favourite season of mine, if the last few years are anything to go by: Depressions crowd the North Atlantic but don't go eastwards because of high-pressure stuck over central Europe and so we get mild wet south or south-west winds trying to bring summer well after that season is over.  The result of those Wretched Winds That Have To Blow To Stop The Earth Slowing Down is muggy grey weather, this encourages rats, slugs, bugs that ruin gardens and get into the house - and bring disease and all manner of pestilence: A good sharp frost in early October would put paid to such problems.

The nice crisp mornings with frost-induced golds and crimsons on the trees because such conditions tend to be absent North Cumbrian Octobers and it is wind, rain and greyness rather than night frost that turns the leaves brown and mucky rather than bright oranges, reds and yellows! 

So no, I do NOT like what autumn has become in These Globally-Warmed 2010s!!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Best aspect of autumn is the prospect of winter cold and frost not being far away... In recent years, autumns have been very trying affairs if you like cold frosty weather, we have often had to wait until November before our first decent air frost. 2012 was the last autumn to bring early frost. 

I do enjoy seeing the autumn colours and the light levels rapidly change, bringing superb photographic imagery, there is something very special about the light through October in particular.

What I dislike in autumn is the dreaded south westerly airstream, something that has haunted many recent autumns, and this October is being plagued by it yet again (at least September this year bucked the trend and produced more varied fayre). South westerlies in autumn produce mild damp dull low cloud conditions - good to no-one, maxes of 15 degrees and mins of 12 degrees, are very uninspiring. 

High pressure overhead from late Oct and in November is what I look for, frosty nights, chilly sunny days, or a northerly airstream, an easterly always good as well - not too much to ask for, but alas such synoptics are least likely to verify through latter part of autumn than at any other time of year - other than December unfortunately, the atlantic typically wins the war. Can we blast the euro/azores high away until Spring please..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

For me I absolutely love the autumn :give_rose:... But there are a few negatives.
Ok, so here's the positives... 

September: I love September, I love that last final burst of summer, with the shortening days; the misty starts to the days before giving way to another pleasantly sunny and warm day(s), along with the cool nights, plus the odd occasional thunderstorm, the harvest. For me there is a magic in the air, and I love it. :D

October: I love the colours on the trees, those misty mornings starting to turn into proper fog days... If we get a (true) Indian summer there is a misty, smokey golden haze to the air which just makes everything look so beautiful. The light in October and September is like no other time of year. 
Likewise I love the run up to and including Halloween... For me there is a particular magic around the time of the clock change and Halloween, and I absolutely love it. 
:air_kiss:

November: By the time we get to November my love of autumn starts to wane... But again, I love the first frosts, the first proper howling autumn winds... There's nothing like pulling wrapping up, and pulling boots on and heading off for a nice walk on a cold and frosty, or blustery and wild, late autumn day, the smell of proper hearty food cooking.
I also like to see many more misty, foggy, cold mornings and evenings, with that beautiful light that only a low sun in the sky can bring. :D

And now the negatives...
I really dislike endless days/weeks of just grey anti cyclonic gloom, as I know that the coming winter will have many of those. 
Once Halloween has passed, for me the magic of autumn goes with it. :cray:... At that point I find myself wanting and craving to go back to August so I can go through September and October again.
Also its the run up to Christmas! Plus all of the faff and farce that comes with it.  :santa-emoji:... BAH HUMBUG!! :angry:

... And I've just remembered that I've forgotten to put the sprouts on... Back in July. Lol :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
43 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

For me I absolutely love the autumn :give_rose:... But there are a few negatives.
Ok, so here's the positives... 

September: I love September, I love that last final burst of summer, with the shortening days; the misty starts to the days before giving way to another pleasantly sunny and warm day(s), along with the cool nights, plus the odd occasional thunderstorm, the harvest. For me there is a magic in the air, and I love it. :D

October: I love the colours on the trees, those misty mornings starting to turn into proper fog days... If we get a (true) Indian summer there is a misty, smokey golden haze to the air which just makes everything look so beautiful. The light in October and September is like no other time of year. 
Likewise I love the run up to and including Halloween... For me there is a particular magic around the time of the clock change and Halloween, and I absolutely love it. 
:air_kiss:

November: By the time we get to November my love of autumn starts to wane... But again, I love the first frosts, the first proper howling autumn winds... There's nothing like pulling wrapping up, and pulling boots on and heading off for a nice walk on a cold and frosty, or blustery and wild, late autumn day, the smell of proper hearty food cooking.
I also like to see many more misty, foggy, cold mornings and evenings, with that beautiful light that only a low sun in the sky can bring. :D

And now the negatives...
I really dislike endless days/weeks of just grey anti cyclonic gloom, as I know that the coming winter will have many of those. 
Once Halloween has passed, for me the magic of autumn goes with it. :cray:... At that point I find myself wanting and craving to go back to August so I can go through September and October again.
Also its the run up to Christmas! Plus all of the faff and farce that comes with it.  :santa-emoji:... BAH HUMBUG!! :angry:

... And I've just remembered that I've forgotten to put the sprouts on... Back in July. Lol :sorry:

I don't like seasons, I prefer 12 months of gloom, hold we have that already:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
7 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Clocks BACK a week on Saturday - the 28th

Looking forward to it already. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

A bit simplistic, but like old style 'traditional' autumns; the colours, mist, etc - and dislike the more recent wet, grey, mild autumns. As a paper boy in the mid/late 80's I seem to remember experiencing frosts before November.

In fact I'm sure late Sept/ early Oct 1985 being almost summer like, yet within a matter of weeks it was almost like winter.

• Like 3

Posted
On 17/10/2017 at 09:11, HafrenLMP1 said:

A bit simplistic, but like old style 'traditional' autumns; the colours, mist, etc - and dislike the more recent wet, grey, mild autumns. As a paper boy in the mid/late 80's I seem to remember experiencing frosts before November.

In fact I'm sure late Sept/ early Oct 1985 being almost summer like, yet within a matter of weeks it was almost like winter.

Yes we often had a shot of arctic air before October was out in many autumns of yesteryear so to speak bringing the first air frosts, the last 4 autumns have been devoid of any cold airstreams - quite unusual until November has arrived barely a frost. This autumn so far has been exceptionally cloudy with little ridge development -its been woeful for dry cool conditions with mist and fog so far, lets hope November can redeem it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:00, iapennell said:

Even where I live in the North Pennines we had to wait until the 2nd November for our first air frost in 2013

Thing is the coldest temps in the UK don't often occur on high ground, high ground gets more snow due to orographic lifting and a lower dew point so people often mistake high ground has the lowest air temps. The Altnaharra weather station in Scotland is only 81m above sea level yet recorded -27.2C, people are often surprised to hear how low down Altnaharra is as most people don't understand how frost hollows work, they think Altnaharra is high up in the mountains. For instance low lying places just outside of London have already recorded an air frost, I think Nick L said Chesham has recorded one. So being high up in the Pennines doesn't guarantee earlier frosts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Thing is the coldest temps in the UK don't often occur on high ground, high ground gets more snow due to orographic lifting and a lower dew point so people often mistake high ground has the lowest air temps. The Altnaharra weather station in Scotland is only 81m above sea level yet recorded -27.2C, people are often surprised to hear how low down Altnaharra is as most people don't understand how frost hollows work, they think Altnaharra is high up in the mountains. For instance low lying places just outside of London have already recorded an air frost, I think Nick L said Chesham has recorded one. So being high up in the Pennines doesn't guarantee earlier frosts.

Quite right, however despite being elevated, Alston is in a valley at 300m surrounding by 400m + hills so can be an "elevated" frost hollow.

I'm currently doing a bit of research here in North Yorkshire into whether actually living in a valley (frost hollow) at lower elevation can actually have a colder climate (mean temp) than surrounding higher areas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, vizzy2004 said:

Quite right, however despite being elevated, Alston is in a valley at 300m surrounding by 400m + hills so can be an "elevated" frost hollow.

I'm currently doing a bit of research here in North Yorkshire into whether actually living in a valley (frost hollow) at lower elevation can actually have a colder climate (mean temp) than surrounding higher areas.

Interesting. Also to note Alston could get a tad windy at that elevation so that can also scupper frosts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Interesting. Also to note Alston could get a tad windy at that elevation so that can also scupper frosts.

Yes the lower the better ideally. One of the coldest places near me that I have a weather station is at Kirkham Abbey which is around 17m asl, very well protected from any wind from the west. One of my favourite places to photograph in Autumn.

Here was this morning when it fell to 4.6c overnight.

kirkham18102017.thumb.jpg.d5c7ca488b70014e5d202fc960a4f5b6.jpgkirkham181020172.thumb.jpg.c248de2a9e16cc693f04ebfa8653db4a.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
12 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I live just four miles south-east of Alston and at 420 metres above sea-level some 100 metres higher. Another common issue with the weather on clear autumn nights with winds from the west is the tendency of low cloud to form over the North Pennines, caused by up-lift of relatively moist air combined with nocturnal cooling in the lower atmosphere. Winds do tend to be stronger at over 420 metres elevation and this has the effect of stirring up moist air so that the dew-point is reached first well above the surface rather than at the surface. Both the wind and cloud-cover (whether forecast or not) are very effective at arresting any steep fall in temperatures at the surface. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Autumn is start of the cosy period.  lovely stews in the slow cooker,  shutting the outside world out and cuddling under fluffy blankets and lighting candles. More into November the 5th than Halloween, but after my Birthday we get the run up to Crimbo which is all about bubs ofc and all the planning and decorating.  If anything I hate January as it about having to do it all again to get to the point of the year I love.

Apart from the wind. Never been a fan of wind storms even when i lived on the coast. 

But looking out today even in a foggy wet morning all the coloured leaves it has it's own beauty.

But it also means more stuffs!

• Like 1

Posted
On 02/10/2017 at 21:43, Ed Stone said:

I absolutely loathe Autumn, have done for 40+ years...That said, I'm not averse to foggy mornings and the fact that the oppressive heat of (especially recent) summer has finally gone?

Other than that though, it's too dark, too damp and it's never cold enough for anything other than cold rain or sleet - both of which I also cannae stand.

Give me winter, Spring and summer any day!:)

Ed Stone,  

I am definitely round to your way of thinking about the modern 2010's Autumn's: 

The Wretched Winds That Have To Blow To Stop The Earth Slowing Down bring their Muggy Buggy Warmth from the South South-West, 

Along with it Runs it's Buddy Wet -Weather! 

The Greyness,  the Dankness and Pestilence and Bugs,

And other nasty muck it Brings! 

And These Yucky Sou'-Westers Keepeth' Away the Crispness and Frosts Til' Well into November! 

O How I Hate These Wretched Winds That Have To Blow To Stop The Earth Slowing Down!!! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Autumn is a bittersweet season for me. Summer is usually too short and disappointing in the UK so it always feels like autumn arrives far too quickly. Once I've got my head around it though, it can be a beautiful time of year. The light has a quality of its own, the leaves turning are very pretty and I love Halloween and Bonfire Night. If we are lucky, we start to see chilly nights with mists and fogs. November can be dreary but it's getting closer to Christmas, another favourite time of the year. Too many recent autumns have featured gloom and strong winds, this year looks like it won't be much different, unfortunately.