Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Maria

Posted

Looking at the latest data she's dropped 3 mB in the centre since the last flight, winds around 85 mph in SE. If she keeps moving further west she might regain strength and slam into the mainland. Meanwhile Lee seemed to do a wee loop-de-loop and is now heading NW. What are the chances of these two meeting up?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Looking at the latest data she's dropped 3 mB in the centre since the last flight, winds around 85 mph in SE. If she keeps moving further west she might regain strength and slam into the mainland. Meanwhile Lee seemed to do a wee loop-de-loop and is now heading NW. What are the chances of these two meeting up?

Jose weakening has allowed the Atlantic ridge and the ridge over the east coast to join up.Lee has the potential to under cut the ridge ..but a link up very doubtful in my opinion.As for Maria time will tell if she gets stronger or weakens to nothing

Edited by Martin R
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Martin R said:

Latest from MetO saying her forward speed has slowed. Hope she don't do a Jose and stall,not the best place to park with warm waters and no shear.

No further shifts from the overnight models. She just sits by the Carolina coast for a few days before moving away eastwards. Still worth seeing what the afternoon models will do with her.

Posted

She's not looking too bad ATM. But importantly is west of the forecast point. It will need watching over the next 6-12 hrs too see if the west of north trend continues. 

Recon have just done a path still sub 950 at 944mb and surface winds a touch higher. 

IMG_1371.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The latest gfs shows Maria knocking on the eastern seabored of the usa but thankfully desolving into the very cold waters of the North Atlantic:cold::):hi:

fiona.png

raised-eyebrows-o.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
34 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

She looks awful. Both gfs and ec have her hitting land though the problem is it's the uk !

in about one week. 

And no doubt dragging more humid crap along with her.

Posted

Keeping my eye on the NHC forecast for the remnants of Maria and Lee, as models are now starting to show both systems combining to form a deep extra-tropical cyclone off the coast of Scotland by Sunday. Where and when exactly is still changing day-by-day, but if the trend continues southwards then Ireland, Scotland, Northern England will be getting hit by substantial gales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
18 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Keeping my eye on the NHC forecast for the remnants of Maria and Lee, as models are now starting to show both systems combining to form a deep extra-tropical cyclone off the coast of Scotland by Sunday. Where and when exactly is still changing day-by-day, but if the trend continues southwards then Ireland, Scotland, Northern England will be getting hit by substantial gales.

Typical start to Autumn then. Boo. Was hoping for a little more lovely days of sun and warmth. Oh well. 

• Like 1

Posted

Maria the larger but weaker of the two hurricanes, whereas Lee much smaller but currently stronger with a good visible eye. Looks like they will meet/combine over the weekend and head straight for the UK. Lee may still be just about at hurricane strength when their two systems collide. This will then subsequently be known as storm Brian here in the UK, assuming it stays strong enough.

I hope that any potential impact warnings aren't made confusing to the viewer during the BBC's changeover from Met Office to Meteo Group which is also happening this weekend. The Met Office actually create the names for our Atlantic storms so It will be interesting to see what sort of warnings Meteo Group give out.

hurricanes.png

hurricanes2.png

• Like 3

Posted

Cheer me up some more, why don't you? :angry: I really don't want gales yet, I haven't got the stables and the pond sorted out for bad weather. Can anyone here give me an explanation of how they may combine and what the possible outcomes are?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
12 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'm no expert, but I'd hazard a guess the lack of early warnings from meto, etc means that it's expected the cold atlantic will sap her power even with a strong jet?

The big question is how much effect the joining of Lee and Maria has on its punch. I would expect high rainfall amounts in certain locations even if the winds aren't too strong.

• 8 months later...
Posted

It seems the death toll in Puerto Rico may have been in the thousands, rather than the official 64.

Puerto Rico: Thousands more died from hurricane than official toll, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/29/puerto-rico-hurricane-maria-death-toll-study-official-estimate?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Edited by alr1970