• Average
    • Poor
  3. 3. A good summer for my own weather preferences

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

How would you rate summer 2017 where you hang your hat?

In terms of what 'most' here look for, fine with hot/warm spells and of course thunderstorm outbreaks.

There is a poll option for none of those floating your boat too.

Here on the South coast it has to be  GOOD summer for thunderstorms.

Although late summer not as good as the early part for storms or prolonged warmth.

The storm outbreak on a hot July night will long live in the memory.

Nothing much since,however that alone rates it GOOD for me.

Early Summer was full of long,sunny summer days,and a few decent spells too into August.It has to be GOOD.Just short of excellent here.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here it was a hot and relatively dry summer..in terms of storms for my locations it was relatively poor..yes we had maybe a dozen or so storms however this is poor for here and none were severe or prolonged

Posted

June was the best of the three summer months. Very warm and a very stormy end. July was a game of two halves; fantastic first half and crap second. August bar the bank holiday was just miserable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

As above,a good june but it was downhill from there,same for storms

i hope winter can deliver this time cos they have been poor in recent years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Maybe it is me but I cannot for the life in me understand why most people on this forum judge a summer on how good the storms have been??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very good June here with plenty of warm to hot spells and some storms. July started well, then had some excellent storms mid month. This heralded a complete turnaround as much cooler, cloudier and wetter weather then dominated right up to the late August bank holiday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

June was pretty good, especially compared to the last few Junes. July was mixed during the first half, whilst becoming mostly unsettled during the latter half. As for August, that was mainly unsettled, although the bank holiday (surprisingly) was hot and sunny for once.

Posted

Very hard to measure the first half of the summer was exceptional I thought I was in California minus the palm trees with a long stretch of warm and very warm sunny days. Mid July ish summer took a nosedive it never truly recovered however b/h August was very good, a welcome respite for the holidaymakers. I’d say average to good however my judgement is skewed I’m sure a Scotsman would have thought the summer gone in London was bloody good. On the storm front disappointing however I know if I was further south and east I’d have a different opinion.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Definitely a summer of two halves here with a decent June and early July which were fairly dry and warm or hot at times. After that it quickly went downhill with the second half of July and most of August being unsettled with mostly average temperatures and several days struggled to reach the mid teens. July in particular turned into a very wet month after a dry start with over 100mm of rain being recorded in the second half of the month, although at least I saw a great lightning show over the channel during that spell which was the only decent storm during the summer. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Decent first half with some nice warm sunny days but slowly deteriorated to wet and warm to now wet and getting cooler. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Terrible June! Much better from around the 18th July onwards. ;)

• Like 2

Posted

So, an average summer for most in terms of 'summerlike' weather and personal preferences.

Poor in terms of thunderstorms for the majority that voted.

Posted

I would say compared to anything from post 2014, it was an improvement compared to 2015, and 2016(both relatively poor summers, although 2016 had a better august) but still on the poor side when compared to the summer of 2013.

It started off promising, late May and most of June, apart from one week earlier in June, when we had a cooler interlude, was warm and turned hot towards the second half of June. It was the sunniest time of the year, and most of us were able to enjoy the longer sunny evenings. 

Early to mid July was warm or hot at times, but since the mid July storms, the summer fell apart, and gave us some of the worst summer weather since the 80s. August was dreadful, despite having a nice warm bank holiday, most of it was cool and cloudy. It struggled to reach 15c one day during the month, and I live in London.

Posted

June wasn't too bad, just let down by a bit too much cloud at times and the lack of thunder considering it often felt like it ought to be "thundery". Same for early July. Late July and most of August were rubbish- cold and dull, wet but not exceptionally so, but what stood out about the summer in Shrewsbury (and the west Midlands generally) was the lack of thunder. Just one brief storm on Aug 1st and a few rumbles on the 3rd was all we got, luckily I managed to catch a belter of a storm in Scarborough on Aug 23rd which gave me my storm fix for this year. 

September- utter pants. It will need a 2011-style finale to redeem it now. Nothing over 22C, nothing over 20C since the first couple of days, hardly ever gone 24 hours without raining, just one really sunny day in the last 3 weeks. Today which was meant to be warm and sunny gave- cloud in the morning, raining since 3pm. It's a real throwback to those Septembers of 1992-95.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Poor overall. Best of the year's weather was in late April and May here - a cracking spell. Summer: wetter, duller and cooler than average. Last good summer (warm and sunny) was 2013, though 2014 had its moments, too. Hoping autumn is more benign than is currently being forecast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It was a good start, but soon fizzled out and the last 3 months have been dreadful imo. Limited warm spells and only fleeting high pressure. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

June was hot, sunny and dry. Although not a massive fan of heat, i was happy with it. 

July essentially saw a split with the first half reminding me of 2010 (cloudy and humid) before the weather finally broke in the second half and the westerlies took over. 

August was by my own preference for an early Autumn quite a good month although the most notable thing was the near complete lack of heat which is highly unusual, not even one proper attempt. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Here in the south east I still don't think we've had a 'bad/badish' summer since the Olympic summer of 2012. June was good - warm to very warm with little rainfall, beginning of July still okay but then temperatures went down somewhat combined with some breezy days and intermittent rainfall for the last 2 weeks or so of the month. August I felt was a fairly average month, the odd warm day but generally not far from average again with some rain but nothing continuously bad, the end of the month improved somewhat.  Overall slightly better than average 6/10 but looked a one stage if could be a 'classic' so maybe that might skew a few peoples thoughts on the summer particularly if you live in the south.

By the way @Sunny76 2015 and 2016 poorish summers!?! - June 2016 was poor but all the other months? Warm to very warm what I can remember and fairly sunny though 2015 was fairly breezy with it, and I don't live to far away from London.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

2015 was a dreadful summer here- didn't reach 20C until June 4th, only 3 days above 25C (just one, 30th June, was sunny), the forecast 32C and sun and storms on 1st July that ended up below 30C and cloudy all day, maxima of 14-15C in late July, fewest days over 20C since 1993 in the end. Just that storm on 22nd August for good memories of that summer. 2015 reached 15C in 11 months, 20C in just 4, which sums up that year. 10-16C, mostly cloudy with light rain and windy- that was the story for about 75% of 2015.

2016 was mediocre but at least it finally hit 30C on 19th July for the first time in 10 years. May was decent, and September had that afternoon of storms on the 13th. 2017 was behind 2016 overall, but better than 2015.

Posted

It's a shame that 2017 fell apart in mid July, because up to that point, it was a nicer year in terms of dryness and sunny spells( when compared to the previous two years), but a poor second half of July and poor August makes it disappointing. 

And we haven't had a decent summer for 3 years. Too many cloudy days in recent times during the main summer months. 

Sorry Alan Partridge, I have to disagree with you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It's a shame that 2017 fell apart in mid July, because up to that point, it was a nicer year in terms of dryness and sunny spells( when compared to the previous two years), but a poor second half of July and poor August makes it disappointing. 

And we haven't had a decent summer for 3 years. Too many cloudy days in recent times during the main summer months. 

Sorry Alan Partridge, I have to disagree with you.

the summers of 2014,15 & 16 were not even close to the drab cool and wet conditions of the Mid 1980s

• Like 2