Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Spikecollie

Meet a new meat

Let me start by saying that I eat very little meat and I am against gratuitous and wasteful hunting.

BUT - we have Coypu at our lake (we have a little one hectare lake and two hectares of land around it here in France which is our wildlife and human haven). If you don't know Coypu look them up! They are classed as nuisance animals in France, so far as anything is a nuisance rather than just being in the wrong place - in this case in Europe rather than South America, from where they were introduced for their fur. They are very destructive to land and native species, animals and plants, and they have to go.

We bought a humane trap (leave a trail of homegrown carrot and apple and they are rapt!) and hubby is legally allowed to shoot, so we have been trapping them and shooting them. Never one to allow good meat to go to waste and having been well taught how to skin, gut etc. by my Dad (we ate many of our previous dog's rabbits which he caught), I prepared my first one and Mylo and I pronounced the rather small pickings delicious. Then came the first 10kg one. A battle to prepare, but with it properly done and cooked to perfection, OH joined in the feast and the substantial remainder was frozen. Then another of similar size, and another...lots in the freezer, and what I am now calling "ragspaggbol" is a real treat. As is a homegrown vegetable stew with it. The meat is served in some very good restaurants too and there are makers of paté etc. The recipes will expand as the freezer fills...

Once you get over the long yellow teeth and "ratty" tail it is a delicious meat that is nutritionally excellent.

In Australia there are calls for folks to eat more Kangaroo meat (I've been there, eaten that - yummy)!

Has anyone else eaten any unusual meat etc.?

I've eaten monkey in Africa ,probably explains a lot ..

There's a haggis wandering about in the back garden. Cute little fella. Just haven't got the heart to stick a dirk in it.

I did try seagull once, not recommended.

I've had a couple of good sightings of Leprechauns too, but they're hard to catch - hiya Frogesque...

I think you'd love a good bit of "ragondin"! (Coypu in French!)

Edited by Spikecollie

25 minutes ago, jvenge said:

I tried beaver this year. Quite a soft meat. 

:oops::shok::unsure2:

I was quite worried about what I might find in this thread when I first opened it :oops:

I've eaten deep fried bull's testicles in the US. Or "Rocky Mountain Oysters" as they're colloquially known. They're not actually too bad...

16 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Green chicken wings, does that count:ninja:

You need to stay away from those dodgy takeaways!

I can't wait for burger-meat that's grown in vats...at least I'll know what's in it!:D

9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I can't wait for burger-meat that's grown in vats...at least I'll know what's in it!:D

read that as grown in rats:oops::fool:

Couldn't be without meat, but have only eaten the likes of beef, chicken, lamb etc, but saying that i've had a few dodgy curries in my time.