Sign in to follow this  
DSTimelapseHD

Hurricane Irma discussion

Hi guys,

I live near Jacksonville in NE Florida. The area is currently being battered by Irma's outer bands. Since earlier this afternoon, we've had multiple squall lines rattle through, bringing horizontal rains and the threat of tornadoes. This is forecasted to continue all night here.

If there are any other Florida residents reading this (or anyone else being/has been affected by Irma, how is it where you are?

• Like 1

Hi there DST, There is already a hurricane Irma thread open for discussion so locking this one to keep things tidy.

Here's the thread.

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DSTimelapseHD
      This TimeLapse begins on 21st and ends on 24th of March 2017. 

• By DSTimelapseHD
      This is a cool little TimeLapse that I captured using the LapseIt Pro app on my iPhone 5s.

• By Alex95
      Does anyone know of any instances in the UK where sea breeze initiated storms have occurred? They occur almost daily during the wet season in Florida where the two sea breezes from the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico converge in the middle of the state bringing spectacular thunderstorms. Polk County gets around 25 storms a month in June, July and August. Further convergence areas are then set up by thunderstorm outflows, allowing the storms to rumble on into the night even after the sea breeze dies out. A similar effect occurs in Cuba where the sea breeze from the north meets the sea breeze from the south, although it is less pronounced than in Florida. I also believe it can occur in Italy from time to time. As the UK is also quite narrow I wonder if its possible for a westerly sea breeze to meet an easterly sea breeze to bring thunderstorms? In Florida it usually only occurs from May to September as the sea surface temperatures are in the low 30s, and the temperatures over land need to be higher than this for a sea breeze to set up, but the seas around the UK are far cooler, so sea breezes can more easily affect the UK. If anyone knows of an example of a sea breeze thunderstorm outbreak in the UK I'd very grateful if they could let me know when it happened!
      I have attached a diagram I found which outlines the phenomenon quite well: