Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Dami

If looks could get you killed

A few weeks ago I came across this article ;-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40628457

Why do I care about this? Well give it 25 odd years ago and this could of been me.  Sure I had a few comments but it never occurred that i could of been beaten up and killed just because I wore black. Because for all intents and purposes I was labelled a 'goth'.

Although my look has been watered down since I have aged,  the style of clothing I wear still raises a few eye brows, to the point I can't leave the house for the school run wearing just jeans and a t-shirt with out some nasty comment. 

So why do people react so horribly to how someone looks?  Why do people care?   Do you ever feel the need to comment on how people dress? Do you care how you look or do you dress different to how you want too just to avoid any nasty comments? 

Would love to know peoples views . :)

Because some people live sad, empty lives. Commenting on other people's appearance make them feel a bit better for a while.

By the way, what do they find to say when you wear jeans and t-shirt? I'd have thought most people would find this safe and acceptable attire.

We have friends and the wifes brother who's very odd do raise eyebrows around the town when here ,very bohemian as the wife is but I go with the flow and if any sad people say anything I usually bite their heads of as I'm a bit of a bruiser about things like that ,live and let live I say .

• Like 1

Beats me guys - I couldn't give a flock what people wear! Is that the same story that was the basis of the BBC's Murdered For Being Different?

If so, it's a truly harrowing tale; one I simply cannot get my head round!:cray:

• Like 1

And if you take your clothes off so that it's impossible to annoy anyone you get sent to jail. I mean whatever next. Remember the Naked Rambler?

A man who has spent 10 years in prison because he goes naked in public has told the BBC he will continue his protest even if it means he has to spend the rest of his life in custody.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34140955

• Like 3

4 hours ago, karyo said:

By the way, what do they find to say when you wear jeans and t-shirt? I'd have thought most people would find this safe and acceptable attire.

I get a 'look at the state of that!' comment. :( Although this woman makes hints that I need 'new' clothes when as many of you know is laughable. 

When she realized that was a stupid thing to say, she started telling others how lovely they look and asking them where they got their top/coat/jeans quite loudly.

Edited by Dami

16 hours ago, Dami said:

I get a 'look at the state of that!' comment. :( Although this woman makes hints that I need 'new' clothes when as many of you know is laughable. 

When she realized that was a stupid thing to say, she started telling others how lovely they look and asking them where they got their top/coat/jeans quite loudly.

Pathetic!

I belong to the ' if it's comfortable then that's all that matters' school of fashion.

Many years ago in the 1950s I had an aunt who would squeeze into the most idiotic Italian style high heels with pointed toes. She could barely walk after a few minutes and was always complaining about her feet hurting.

Smart, casual, Goth, or tramp, who cares, if it's comfortable, practical and appropriate for the occasion it's nobody else's business. Probably an age thing though, I do draw the line at anyone wearing PJs to take their kids to school.

Far to early in the day to view all the wobbles and rolypolys.

i had a friend of mine at school who went full on goth for a few years..but he was still part of our social group and nothing changed in regard to who is was he was still the same guy just his appearance changed and taste in music changed..i didn't see him for about 5 years when we left school..when i did he was back in a suit and tie and usual hair..but he was still the same person he had always been