Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hedgehogs

jy

Posted

For some years it was made known that hedgehogs were in serious decline,to the point that they were on the verge of being endangered.The low numbers that I saw supported this.

However,this year there has been a noticeable increase in Hampshire and Dorset where I live and work.The point of this post is to see if its a localised thing or if the little critters are making a comeback on a wider scale.

Posted

Not round here apparently. I have two nesting boxes and feeding station I made  standing empty. 

Few years ago rehomed a couple of Hedgehogs that came and went as they pleased. Were able roam widely through neighbours gardens and adjoining farmland. They then disappeared. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wrong forum area I think, unless you want to go on a hedgehog chase? 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moved to here as more apt ☺

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

I've seen them relatively regularly this year, or to be more accurate I've sighted one in my garden 3 times this year. The most recent time being last week one day, when I saw ones face pop out of the hedgerow. Going back a couple of months or more though I had to save one which accidentally wondered into my pond and was struggling to get out, so I netted it up and put it on the lawn in the Sun to dry. It just sat there shivering for a while, but when I got back it had gone, so I assume it was alright. Maybe the one I saw last week was the same individual?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I had just the one for many years, living and hibernating deep in my pampas grass.
I was so sad to see him/her ? run over a few weeks ago.
Seemed to coincide with the change to those dim street lights.
I love hedgehogs.  Used to be several around here maybe 10 years ago.
B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When I was oop in the Heelands, hedgehogs were frequent visitors (I suspected they were after the hens' eggs?) to the garden...But, anyways, I used to put saucers of milk out for them, as they're such docile and friendly creatures...

Then again, they can be a rather prickly subject...:oops: