Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Not reload...

Overload..

When ec-starts smelling uppers its always a good thing...

And the daddy is taking the motherload..

Just the only annoy' is jet profile..

But thats a way off and dependant on variant!

ECM0-192.gif

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
9 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

It does look like the Northerly will fizzle out after a few days but I think this has kind of been projected in previous runs also somewhat, its what happens after that is a massive uncertainty. Its ashame any Atlantic high may not last too long but as I said earlier on today, I still would not rule out the high in the Atlantic holding out for longer than we might think.

An Atlantic high was never going to last more than 4or5 days...what we are seeing on EC tonight is best case scenario ...imho of course :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Very good point made Feb , that’s why I’d rather the models went for the Scandi high because that’s easier to get through from where we start than the retrogression .

We don’t want half measures.

Problem with the scandi high though Nick is that to me it looks a lot more complex to avoid derailment where as the retrogression could mean we end up with a Northerly and topple to a scandi anyway and also looks less fraught with danger and more likely to materialise, also uppers wise it looks decent but nothing spectacular whereas a 2nd Northerly would deliver this time.

EDIT : yuk, maybe I was wrong, wouldn't fancy that 240 retrogression.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

One thing the ECM shows is that even if the Atlantic high does start to collapse, we can still stay on the cold side of the jet, its an interesting if rather complicated middle part of the run. I be more than happy for pressure to build over the UK locking in any cold airmass over the UK. That said, the forecast after midweek is still right up in the air and the next run will no doubt show something else, hopefully sticking with the cold theme.

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The problem now is that Icelandic troughing at 192 we were willing on to move south with the retrogression to Greenland of the high, but now an Easterly is on the table its going to stop the cold getting right the way to the West and sustaining, we either need one or the other.

868FEBBC-BF48-4F5E-9B10-144176612C39.png

1C0DB353-BC25-42A0-9C6A-F5B23B46B1C1.png

Feb can i ask what your expecting? The EC  is frigid!!! Enjoy it and relax !!!! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

ECM1-240.GIF?25-0

Any one surpised?

That we look to be getting a reload?

If so then, yes.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, That ECM said:

And not un blocked:D yer pays yer money yer takes yer chance.... 

IMG_0067.PNG

Oh I dunno, I don't like the look of a 100kt jet at 500mb south of Iceland on the ecm. :whistling:

• Thanks 1

Posted

The problem with the ECM is that it looks close to a northeasterly at 120 hours but somehow it loses its way before kind of finding it again. However, what it shows in the last few frames is less important than what happens in the middle (120-144 hours). If the 144 hours chart has 50% chance of coming off, the 192 chart has probably no more than 20%. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I think you can be as philosophical about this as you like, bottom line is that the 12z today have been a bit of a disappointment. Yes it’s still going to be cold, no there isn’t an Atlantic about to crush through with a raging Jet, but it’s still not been a great afternoon. Is it fixed? no! Thank heavens 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Don't know if you mean wanting or expecting, I'm Expecting max temps of 3 or 4c with nightime frosts and then something to get in the way of delivering potent cold with a dumping of snow, I want a dumping of snow and a week of daytime max's at freezing or below like we used to get every year when I was growing up.

Well, fridges are around 5'c so, it would be ok to expect that? :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

4 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

ECM1-240.GIF?25-0

Any one surpised?

If that low keeps sinking due to the higher heights over Moscow then the result could be truly beautiful. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, summer blizzard said:

If that low keeps sinking due to the higher heights over Moscow then the result could be truly beautiful. 

Quite so SB I'd be quite happy to thay low sink south or southeast with a pressure build over the top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Right then, it's off to do some babysitting duty...Please don't throw bricks at NW's server while I'm gone?:santa-emoji:

Posted
3 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Spot on.

And a 50/50 chance....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

A real positive to note is even when the models now and lately have wobbled the end result still seems to be cold and blocked, a good sign. Only viewing what's being posted as on phone but at least the Atlantic isn't charging through as per usual. Real fascinating viewing at the min and I wouldn't be surprised to see the wobbles replaced with upgrades in the morning.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Don't know if you mean wanting or expecting, I'm Expecting max temps of 3 or 4c with nightime frosts and then something to get in the way of delivering potent cold with a dumping of snow, I want a dumping of snow and a week of daytime max's at freezing or below like we used to get every year when I was growing up.

I cant recall many Decembers like you describe? 

I do agree with what you like but without wanting to drift off topic i think you have to factor in the warming globe we are living in.. :-)

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I cant recall many Decembers like you describe? 

I do agree with what you like but without wanting to drift off topic i think you have to factor in the warming globe we are living in.. :-)

Lets take this to pm.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Inevitably with Atlantic ridging, rather than a standing blocking high(eg. over Greenland),means jet energy will sometimes spill through and at least temporary undermine it.After all ridging anywhere are just  pulses of sub-tropical air which ebb and flow hence we see the different wave heights across the Atlantic.

Looking at this evening's charts we see the next phase of ridging to our west which in tandem with a Scandinavian trough brings us a cold northerly over the coming few days.We see at day 4 the ridging on this occasion peaks around day 4 before gradually flattening.

gfsnh-0-96.png?12UN120-21.GIF?25-17

However looking at the gefs and the earlier ecm means week 2 favours another bout of ridging in the Atlantic

gensnh-21-1-240.pngEDH1-240.GIF?25-12

Details after the northerly will of course change- as usual run to run- until modelling works out the extent of the next amplifying wave in week 2,ie.how much energy goes over the top.Added to this is the ridging out east and what effect this will have for the UK.At the moment this is locking us on the colder side of the Scandinavian trough as it can't progress further east.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO extended has a few showers scattered around but on the whole, it is dry with high pressure from Newfoundland right across to the UK

ukm2.2017120212_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.7d331599f0739e91db8aa868d5056450.png