Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Hi nick could you post the 168 hour ukmo chart if possible!!thanks!!

70120C3F-40AF-444F-B580-47BFEBD2514B.thumb.png.8498973f6c833cd48988364c5f37f5e9.png

Screams undercut to me

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Hello PV lobe, welcome to the neighbourhood :hi:put your feet up, get comfortable and unleash your fury on our little island will you :give_rose:

079BF965-5460-454A-BDF4-3EDAC7130256.thumb.png.c0b0d9a95d00a3afff1ef6e306a97c54.png

Of course it's just for fun at that range, but *IF* it did pan out like that we would be right in the bullseye.  Lovely lovely stuff, almost makes Christmas shopping today bearable!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Heading into December and to see modelling showing the polar vortex being pushed around like this is quite unusual at this time of year.

UN144-21.GIF?25-05

Quite an un Nina like pattern where by now we usually see a N.Pacific/Alaskan ridge.Instead we have an ongoing trend for further Atlantic and indeed Russian ridging.

ECM mean T240hrs.

EDH1-240.GIF?25-12

The latest ECM data suggests zonal winds dropping off again where normally they would be on the uptick.

fluxes.gif

all signs of a weaker and therefore buckling jet.

The UKMO certainly full on with this cold northerly next week as are the others.

A look at the latest fax and 850's for Tuesday 

fax84s.gif?2UN96-7.GIF?25-05

showing a re-load of Arctic air after the less cold westerly from Monday.Notice the minor trough line over Scotland coming south which could well bring quite a bit of snowfall up there.

Interesting times.

Given a wee bit of luck, we might even be in for some of the white stuff all the way down here!:yahoo:

• Like 6

Posted

Weirdly my Facebook has just flashed up a 'memory' from something I posted on there 5 years ago (although, posted on the 21st, not 5 years to the day). I don't remember it but it looks like early winter 2012 our hopes were up then as well? Nice chart though... (didn't occur of course)

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.852455c8be11405fdb0533d94acf9525.JPG

Compare to now (and in the much closer timeframe)...

IMG_0638.thumb.PNG.d0aa3256b3f7abba13dd397d95b8ecad.PNG

Ah! I've just clicked! That was of course the 'That ECM' early winter!?Mind you, it certainly turned out to be a fairly memorable winter in the end though ?

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 3

Posted

Mean doesn’t get above 5c 2m Temp all the way out to D15, 

1639F154-BAC7-41ED-AC01-4F19A72739F0.thumb.gif.1f856899ff8074bfa2c05afe6268f8ba.gif

Now...these are obviously :db: useless and shouldn’t take up the storage space they use..... but I like them :D

Edited by karlos1983
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, Snowy Hibbo said:

Everyone seems excited about the longer term outlook, with the UKMO's nice Atlantic ridge.

Just looking in the shorter term....

Interesting difference between the path of the low coming over the UK on Monday, between UKMO and GFS.

IMG_2926.thumb.PNG.10481def99d1aa2e8d7ed60ef8f4e88b.PNG

UKMO shows the low going straight over the UK...

IMG_2925.thumb.PNG.818d3d465b033d21de7d624f571efff3.PNGIMG_2924.thumb.PNG.9c886302a903cd54f06876b466117cef.PNG

And GFS shows the low heading north of the UK. 

Both models agree on the stalling around Scandinavia, but they don't seem to agree on how the low crosses the U.K. This could mean quite a lot on the mesoscale side, with rain and snow accum over the UK.

CMC shows the low going over Scotland and heading SE down to Germany, rather than over to Scandinavia.

IMG_2927.thumb.PNG.ad127c334fbcdcc970a7f0006249e399.PNG

The positioning of when the low hits the UK is important, but also the positioning of the low when it slows down, and sends northerlies over the UK(and colder air) is also crucial. So I would be definitely be important to watch that low IMO....

Yeah' that feature is a BIG player...medium-range!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

06z Op is on the warm side of the mean throughout from December 3rd with the exception of the 8th and the very end

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.a9aee967549d589f3841e5c398d5b986.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

06z Op is on the warm side of the mean throughout from December 3rd with the exception of the 8th

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.a9aee967549d589f3841e5c398d5b986.png

Great set of ens- mainly dry and cold air coming down from the north in late Nov/early Dec = low minima :)

• Like 3

Posted

Another run & Canadian warming still showing, this time a bit more pronounced and it begins earlier in the run.

91704DD3-5B71-49C8-B82C-D446DF76EA68.thumb.png.b047eb71f231ab67063918a2aca36654.png

it seems at the moment we are crossing t’s and dotting the i’s. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Another run & Canadian warming still showing, this time a bit more pronounced and it begins earlier in the run.

91704DD3-5B71-49C8-B82C-D446DF76EA68.thumb.png.b047eb71f231ab67063918a2aca36654.png

Everyone is quoting a Canadian warming happening in FI GFS lately, may I ask how that is a Canadian warming when its nowhere near Canada, to me that looks like a regulation strat warming event coming 'round the back' of the Eurasian sector as most warming's do.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

One great set of charts followed by another at the moment. I know some have been saying that the depth of cold to our north east in not the same as 2010, but by the end of next week that may well have changed, and we could be on the cusp of something special ! Cold does have to be given time to build.  Exciting times I think !  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Everyone is quoting a Canadian warming happening in FI GFS lately, may I ask how that is a Canadian warming when its nowhere near Canada, to me that looks like a regulation strat warming event coming 'round the back' of the Eurasian sector as most warming's do.

Agreed- doesn't look like a canadian warming- that said, i don't think that chart posted would do any harm at all (if it verified).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Its sub-Asian warm...

not canadian!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Last year gfs teased us almost all winter with one of these but it stayed forever past 192h or do, only to finally materialize mid February. I'll believe it when it is modeled around 168h

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Agreed- doesn't look like a canadian warming- that said, i don't think that chart posted would do any harm at all (if it verified).

If it carries on yes, and by then it would also include Canada but so would any warming if it ended up a major warming.

Either way, yes, it would only do good I would suggest.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Okay... not yet it isn’t but, it’s headed that way surely?

I’m far from knowledgeable when it comes to the strat, but it looks to me the warming is heading to Canada? (I don’t even know if that’s possible) I’m happy to be told otherwise and learn in a constructive manner!

Edited by karlos1983
Last line removed
  • Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Okay... not yet it isn’t but, it’s headed that way surely?

I’m far from knowledgeable when it comes to the strat, but it looks to me the warming is heading to Canada? (I don’t even know if that’s possible) I’m happy to be told otherwise and learn in a constructive manner. 

Yes - and me, that's why a queried it, it does look nearer to the pole as it starts which means it could end affecting Canada that slight bit more but looks very similar to most warmings.

EDIT : possibly stand corrected though, just looked that the 1962 one started very similar to this one and.

compday.PW5spXzTjN.gif

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

I cant paste it in here- but a post worth a read if you want to know why the strats about to crash in the winter thoughts thread...

S

PS this is different to 1962 as that was a displacement event-

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1