Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
9 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Massive improvement on the Pub run from the GFS 12z. 

Certainly starting to get that feeling of momentum! 

Nail biter tomorrow, although doesn’t seem to be to many dramas/spoilers this time.

@nick sussex have we moved from Amber yet...:D

Lol! It’s an Amber Green combo ! The committee meets tomorrow morning to discuss going to green! :D

• Like 9

Posted

Only two eps clusters days 7/10 which are pretty well 50/50 with the more amplified op run and the slightly flatter mean. Thereafter we have three clusters, two which are cold troughy for nw Europe and one which is fairly westerly closer to the GEFS mean. The flatter solution is around 50% with the other two 30 and 20. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Lol! It’s an Amber Green combo ! The committee meets tomorrow morning to discuss going to green! :D

:bad::rofl:

Looking foreward to it:D

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Greenland Hp:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Here are the aforementioned clusters.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017112112_360.

Such a long way out, surely they are stonkers (the last 2)

or am I missing something?  I hate those charts - I wished they were on meteociel, I'm used to the angle now, I view everything hemispherically on meteociel.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

This run doesn't show an organized vortex in FI, great news all around

gfsnh-0-384_laq9.png

Edited by Jonan92
Missing chart
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Very strong trend for a high pressure to our NW at T144 with all 3 major models, GFS swings further to the other two.

Fingers crossed the PV strays away from the immediate west from Greenland, if so some strong blocking could develop :)

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Here are the aforementioned clusters.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017112112_360.

Such a long way out, surely they are stonkers (the last 2)

or am I missing something?  I hate those charts - I wished they were on meteociel, I'm used to the angle now, I view everything hemispherically on meteociel.

I haven't a clue what the colours mean, but I do understand the lines. I would say not enough ridging to the north to get excited. I think you need a decent area of heights above 546 and preferably 564 to be confident you are seeing a prominent ridge. Yes I know what you mean about the comparison to Meteociel!!

Bluearmy described the T240 chart earlier, here it is in colour:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017112112_240.

so on the second chart, you see the lines run flat from west to east, representing a fairly flat pattern - the first one is tilted a bit more from the WNW and you can imagine the small trough in the Atlantic introducing colder conditions behind it.

• Like 1

Posted

Off to sleep having checked that all three ens suites are in agreement that the AO never really returns to positive values, save for a brief flirtation in a few days time and that's only marginally positive. not sure that we will get a deeply neg phase again without  a very amplified n Pacific ridge of some kind. 

And as far as those Icelandic charts are concerned, i expect the blues and reds represent height anomalies. dont get hung up on the detail of the upper flow on ensemble output. Use it as a general guide.

model wobble Wednesday tomorrow !

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Man With Beard said:

I haven't a clue what the colours mean, but I do understand the lines. I would say not enough ridging to the north to get excited. I think you need a decent area of heights above 546 and preferably 564 to be confident you are seeing a prominent ridge. Yes I know what you mean about the comparison to Meteociel!!

Bluearmy described the T240 chart earlier, here it is in colour:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017112112_240.

so on the second chart, you see the lines run flat from west to east, representing a fairly flat pattern - the first one is tilted a bit more from the WNW and you can imagine the small trough in the Atlantic introducing colder conditions behind it.

I know what they mean, its just the angle and that its a tiny zoom in, there's a lot more than just the area shown that can affect us - the colours are the anomalies btw.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Just a flick through the ens however shows that after the shortwave passes through the block on Sunday, some show a pressure rise over Central Europe which we must avoid too much of so there is still potential for it to go wrong.

Hopefully it won't but still some uncertainties.

However saying that  the vast majority of ensemble members build strong heights to the NW at T168 and the release of arctic air encourages heights on many members over Europe to shift east. So that is very encouraging.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

on plenty of occasions where uncertainty has reigned, we have seen the mean end up closest to verifying as opposed to the clusters or ops. 

ahhh - now that I can appreciate: verification stats of mean versus op, but isn't it in the nature of clusters that there are more than one - you therefore have to choose which cluster to assess for verification -  I am in danger of disappearing up a black hole at this point ... but having worked with multivariate modelling in a totally different field I really do like cluster analysis, and you can get an idea of (or indeed actually calculate) a mean from clusters, but in no way can infer clusters (or any information about distribution) from a sole mean. There, the bee firmly out of the bonnet!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

Away from cold hunting, the 18z charts are awful for Cumbria and southern Scotland :wallbash::wallbash:

ukprec.png

ukprec-1.png

ukprec-2.png

ukprec-3.png

ukprec-4.png

ukprec-5.png

Yep, localised flooding is a possibility as the rainfall continues into wednesday night and into the early hours of Thursday although it gets more messy by then but its certainly one to watch as localised disruption could well occur e.g disruption on the west coast main line. Gusty winds are also forecast as the low deepends during the day as it heads northwards and Eastwards then convective weather for Thursday and then Friday's uncertainty with the shallow coming into play although i'm still surprised the ECM is still going for a slightly different option and still one I would rather too happen personally.

Posted
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

Yep, localised flooding is a possibility as the rainfall continues into wednesday night and into the early hours of Thursday although it gets more messy by then but its certainly one to watch as localised disruption could well occur e.g disruption on the west coast main line. Gusty winds are also forecast as the low deepends during the day as it heads northwards and Eastwards then convective weather for Thursday and then Friday's uncertainty with the shallow coming into play although i'm still surprised the ECM is still going for a slightly different option and still one I would rather too happen personally.

I would have thought that nw Wales would receive more than southern Scotland tbh we shall see. I'm thinking capel curig will have most rainfall

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Nick - not to poo poo your warning system (I love it), however, I don't really think you can give it a green yet, to me a green is when you are practically guaranteed a right ol dumping across decent swathes of the country to low levels, my warning system is the exact reverse to the Met Office's!  -  a Red is pretty much as yours, reliant on the trigger shortwave at range or when that dreaded close up of the heights in between two areas of troughing to our North starts to happen with each run (dec 2012), Amber is when its greater than 50/50 and you get at least half the GEFS flatlining around -10c 850's from about 192- end of run (this is around the point when everything starts to implode usually), Yellow is when you have the -10c isotherm whistling into Ireland with a robust High (not a surpressed PPN sinker type), or -12c - 15c in Feb (need lower because of SST;s later in season), Green is all clear - a feb 91 orJan 87 event going to happen - a foot of snow in my back yard guaranteed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

Those 18z rainfall charts look very similar to about two years ago when we had some very bad flooding locally, with a bridge coming down in a village 5 miles to our north. I do hope that the front doesn't stall for any longer than is currently suggested.

And then we open the doors to a cold spell - with cross model agreement (Makes a change), and the prospect of it getting even colder during next week. It's funny also how in many media forecasts when we move into such a spell that they seem to underestimate the cold at first and then gradually adjust accordingly. Its looking like a decent period of cold weather with plenty of scope for it to become very cold, some lovely looking runs now from the big three.

Will not be surprised to see some classic E/NE'lys showing up soon with such a disorganised PV, and to think that just a few days ago some were talking of Euroslugs and Iberian Heights that don't go away (these days) ???   Some were even writing off winter when its still only Autumn !   We have so much to look forward to in the coming months !!!   

Edited by JBMWeatherForever
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

A look at potential snow chances from Friday to Sunday from GFS 18z :)

And obviously the details will change, hopefully for the better so more of us see some of the white stuff :).

sat 1.png

sat 3 .png

sat 1 - 2.png

sat 2.png

sat 3 - 3 .png

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 1

Posted

BEEB Going for a Milder outlook next week with cold incursions in some parts of the UK.... I like the way they are saying the Snow word , But a Big Butty ' will we get it ?

Nice charts looking through them all ' But i never trust Computer Models ' I stick to FAX CHARTS ONLY ' Thanks to you all though as what you Contribute to this Group ' i love it ' Drinks all around if we get some white stuff . .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, Thunder Snow said:

Away from cold hunting, the 18z charts are awful for Cumbria and southern Scotland :wallbash::wallbash:

Yes some horrendous rainfall totals looking likely over Cumbria over the next 36 hours. The usually reserved UKV has 24 hour totals approaching 100mm in places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
21 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

BEEB Going for a Milder outlook next week with cold incursions in some parts of the UK.... I like the way they are saying the Snow word , But a Big Butty ' will we get it ?

Nice charts looking through them all ' But i never trust Computer Models ' I stick to FAX CHARTS ONLY ' Thanks to you all though as what you Contribute to this Group ' i love it ' Drinks all around if we get some white stuff . .

Yes, because computer models have zero input or influence on FAX charts... :doh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

00z a bit of a climb down with regards heights into Greenland around day 5/6, I guess this was to be expected. Still, it's looking festive, will be cold, frosty and all together 100% better than the last few years. The PV is weaker in North America this run though, that's never a bad thing ?

• Like 1