Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

1st rule of weather forecasting......look at what the model suites show in FI and expect the opposite outcome, generally more right than wrong, and not get hung up on mild/charts way off in the future nor indeed on each and every model run as the smallest change in the initial data entered in the supercomputers causes huge changes further on....it's called FI for a reason, possible trends and nothing more..........Still, there's nothing quite like the thrill of the chase....lol

• Like 3

Posted

According to this evening's ecm there must be a chance of some snow to the NE of the front on Monday, certainly on the higher ground. At 12 it is lying Carlisle to the Humber.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Painful!

So close but the pattern needs to go further se. If you can just get the shortwave at T144hrs further se then it could make a huge difference.

There could be some huge differences north/south. Northern Scotland in a slack cold ne flow could see very low night time temps and still a chance of snow there.

So many variables at play, just enough time to see some improvements but equally it could go completely pearshaped.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

A lot of snow for Scottish highlands with this chart I'd imagine..

ECH1-168.GIF?16-0

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, joggs said:

Can't they just all agree and put it to bed:0

Where's the fun in that..fascinating model output with potential for drama /excitement like last night's 18z at any time in the days / weeks ahead..and it's not even winter for another two weeks!:)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

These are two very important features at T120hrs.

Its essentially a race between the shortwave circled red and that colder air heading sw which as soon as it hits energizes the shortwave, as soon as that happens you get a ne motion track developing as it deepens rapidly.

ECH1-120.thumb.gif.a9c3fc4d10ff3924b554670ae0669f68.gif

We need to see that round shortwave to disrupt and send energy se. In these cases you can tell how much of a fight its putting up. The football shape its fighting, rugby ball its beginning to lose the fight; once that shortwave energy elongates its a goner.

Those blues you see near Iceland and their track is crucial we don't want this sw track we want that more south so it engages any energy further to the east and south.

Hopefully the two lows north and south of the Azores will merge and drag some waa which should help sustain the blocking?

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

Another mid term tease, this time from the ecm. Ok for northern Scotland. For the rest of us - next run please. 

Baby steps:D

Plenty more model drama to come and great post from nick sussex as usual:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Tantalisingly close to nationwide cold at T120hrs

ECE0-120.GIF?16-0ECE1-120.GIF?16-0

That mid-Atlantic trough cutting a bit further south than previous ECM runs.Maybe a little bit of mileage left in this.

• Like 6

Posted
55 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Accurate I think. Modelling of the jet over the Pacific has been all over the place too recently, and this has helped create huge model uncertainty, but what we can see clearly is low AAM, no MJO influence yet (probably 4 more weeks away), a Nina pattern taking hold (uncertainty on how long it will take to couple effectively to the atmosphere) and the vortex predictably gaining strength. The decoupled state of ocean, atmosphere and vortex at present will allow variations from a Nw and Sw direction with a jet that will look anything but flat for a bit longer yet, but without proper Pacific forcing the chance of a substantial block to our north setting up shop is slight. We may get temporary topplers, and I suspect a good start to the Scottish ski season my be in the offing with plenty of NW shots - but lowland snow via sustained cold in the south just doesn’t look likely to me.

From here the odds are in favour of a move to a more zonal December. This may be delayed by a week if the trop pattern can stay disconnected a while longer - Ant Masiello has suggested this is possible - but westerlies by mid December are probable.

Patience is required. The chance of a change to something much more interesting sits with the next MJO cycle (possibly aided by a resistance to Nina anomalies in the central Pacific) and hopefully a Nina that doesn’t bottom out too low and perhaps begins to wane in January. This could create interest via vortex disruption and renewed pulses of energy into northern latitudes that could possibly aid in creating a blocking pattern.

This is a January conversation. Right now I’m happy with a few frosts and a fairly benign pattern with westerlies slow to take hold. But I think it is only a matter of time until they do.

Anyone heard from GP recently?

Interesting post Catacol. Not what I was hoping for - my favourite time for cold is December - but given the consistent output from the long range models and the background signals being what they are, it does seem the most likely outcome. I always enjoy reading your reasoned and balanced posts but I really hope you, the models and the background signals are wrong.:D

• Like 2

Posted

Remember just 24 hours ago the Ecm 12z was a nationwide damp squib mild mush fest, plenty of cold potential tonight, especially further north with more twists to come i'm sure!:)

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

FFR.......Far From Resolved.  This is going to the wire......I hold on to my ‘hopes’ as still on the table

BFTP 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The ECM ens shows the Op is slightly milder than the mean from mid next week onwards

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.1459ebca54e2d23e7e31d84cd3fb5e4b.png

That's a bit disappointing re 850 values. No appetite to really drive much colder air further south. Its a shame we don't have them for more northern parts of the UK, it could be theres a big split given the set up. I think the issue for the ensembles is the resolution drop given we're dealing with crucial shortwave track which normally is better handled by the higher resolution ops. If we were talking about a stronger block further east it might not be such an issue.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

That's a bit disappointing re 850 values. No appetite to really drive much colder air further south. Its a shame we don't have them for more northern parts of the UK, it could be theres a big split given the set up. I think the issue for the ensembles is the resolution drop given we're dealing with crucial shortwave track which normally is better handled by the higher resolution ops. If we were talking about a stronger block further east it might not be such an issue.

ECM ens is available widely here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwfens.php?carte=1 just click the map for the area and it will load up

Central belt of Scotland

65654.thumb.png.ba929498347a6d0966f8bdef56e9619a.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ECM ens is available widely here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwfens.php?carte=1 just click the map for the area and it will load up

Central belt of Scotland

65654.thumb.png.ba929498347a6d0966f8bdef56e9619a.png

Bournemouth :D joking apart, nice link Summer Sun.

IMG_0022.PNG

• Like 1

Posted

Just flicking through the EC ensembles on weather.us, now out to about T82 and it's already complete carnage over that shortwave. The ensembles are clueless. We have pressure readings for NW Scotland anywhere from 996mb up to 1028mb  - and there is no obvious common position between the two.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking at the ECM ensembles for northern Scotland theres close to a 9 deg spread at day 5 indicating just how crucial the initial shortwave track is.

If you look at the ECM 850 spreads its quite unusual to see this type of spread at just T96 and T120hrs, you can see on both sides of the lighter shading running through the UK you have much less spread so its very finely balanced for those in the higher chance area for something wintry.

EEM0-96.thumb.gif.7d0bc7867754aa73449798603566d37b.gifEEM0-120.thumb.gif.263d5e11a2a294dbc110e018767002fe.gif

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Just flicking through the EC ensembles on weather.us, now out to about T82 and it's already complete carnage over that shortwave. The ensembles are clueless. We have pressure readings for NW Scotland anywhere from 996mb up to 1028mb  - and there is no obvious common position between the two.

One good thing about that, if it's as clear as mud it means coldies still have a fighting chance of seeing something wintry..ever the optimist me!:D:cold:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1